none
Monitors will never turn off RRS feed

• Question

• Win8 Pro x64.

Our GP specifies that monitors are to turn off after 15 minutes.  To rule out the GP I removed myself from that policy and am now running a local power policy that states the monitor should turn off after 1 minute.  The only thing that happens is the session locks after 15 minutes.

I also cannot find out where that lock out timer is.  I enabled (via reg) "Console lock display off timeout" and set that to 1 yet my machine still only locks after 15 minutes and the monitors never turn off.

I should also note that all other machines on the domain work fine and their monitors turn off.  My computer setup also worked fine with Win7 x86.

Any ideas?  I would greatly appreciate any help!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:57 PM

Answers

• Of all the dumb.....it was the mouse.  Unplug the mouse and everything works fine.  The mouse was keeping the machine from having any idle time.

Even better.....it's a MICROSOFT mouse.  Gee, thanks Microsoft for supplying proper MICROSOFT drivers for MICROSOFT Windows.

• Marked as answer by JEmlay Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• 1. First check the current policy (resulting set of policy)

2. Could you compare zour computer with other ones? Are all computers the same?

3. Hope the computer is W 8 compliant and drivers were installed in proper order, namely the chipset driver be the very first after vanilla plain operating system installation.

4. Chech if your display is W 8 compliant. Some displays need specific drivers.

5. Always use drivers from device/computer vendor (Optional drivers from MS updates are really the last resort.)

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:05 PM
  • 1 & 2. The domain policy has been removed while I test this.  I'm using a local power policy.

3. I have 2 identical machines on the floor and the other one works fine.

4. While we do have a range of different monitor models, this shouldn't matter.  The video card simply cuts off signal and when the monitor detects no signal it goes to sleep.

The best I can come up with is that something on my machine is keeping it awake although I have no clue what???

EDIT:

To test the whole background possibility of something keeping the machine live....I enabled a screen saver and set it to come on after 1 minute.  Nada.  No screensaver.  My machine isn't seeing an idle time.

Is there a way to check for idle time?  To see what Windows sees?  Some kind of counter somewhere?

• Edited by JEmlay Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Of all the dumb.....it was the mouse.  Unplug the mouse and everything works fine.  The mouse was keeping the machine from having any idle time.

Even better.....it's a MICROSOFT mouse.  Gee, thanks Microsoft for supplying proper MICROSOFT drivers for MICROSOFT Windows.

• Marked as answer by JEmlay Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:59 PM