none
Can't upgrade Windows 7 SP1 Pro to Windows 10; PC is joined to a domain. Contact your system administrator. RRS feed

• Question

• We've been having some problems upgrading some Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10.  The PCs are joined to a domain on different client networks, and when going through the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, the error comes up and says 'Windows 10 will not run on this PC.'  The reason it says it will not run is because the PC is going to a domain and to contact your system administrator.  Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas on how to resolve?
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply!  The issue has occurred so far with three different machines in the last 2 weeks.  Two of these machines are Intel NUCs and we have upgraded them successfully before.  This is OEM licensing that are on the machines not Volume.  I did some work to try to get the icon to appear to upgrade but was unsuccessful.  So I was using the link to do the upgrade (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and choosing the Upgrade Now option.  That is the route that led me to the error.  However, having tried everything else possible, I decided to click the Download Tool Now option and instead of creating a flash drive/CD/ISO, I chose from there to Upgrade this PC.  This option allowed me to upgrade the PC successfully to Windows 10.  I'm still unsure why the other option (which seems to be the most straight forward) did not work and told me the PC couldn't be upgraded because it was joined to a domain.  In any case, the issue for now has been resolved.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help on this matter!

• Marked as answer by Amanda Radz Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Amanda Radz,

Did the issue occur with all the machines or the specific one?
    Before we do the upgrade, please ensure the device manufacturer website has released the Windows 10 compatible driver for your model machine.

Based on your description, are you using Volume license to activate Windows 7 now?
    Kindly notice that Volume license is not included in the free upgrade process, you need contact volume license center to get approve to upgrade to Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/windows-10-upgrade

After that, the simplest path to upgrade PCs that are currently running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is through an in-place upgrade. You can use a Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 Update 1 task sequence to completely automate the process.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt426643(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 10, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!  The issue has occurred so far with three different machines in the last 2 weeks.  Two of these machines are Intel NUCs and we have upgraded them successfully before.  This is OEM licensing that are on the machines not Volume.  I did some work to try to get the icon to appear to upgrade but was unsuccessful.  So I was using the link to do the upgrade (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and choosing the Upgrade Now option.  That is the route that led me to the error.  However, having tried everything else possible, I decided to click the Download Tool Now option and instead of creating a flash drive/CD/ISO, I chose from there to Upgrade this PC.  This option allowed me to upgrade the PC successfully to Windows 10.  I'm still unsure why the other option (which seems to be the most straight forward) did not work and told me the PC couldn't be upgraded because it was joined to a domain.  In any case, the issue for now has been resolved.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help on this matter!

• Marked as answer by Amanda Radz Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 AM