none
Unable to change email used at registration on 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recently bought a new laptop and set up 365 first time with the product key I bought.

I'd like to change the email address I registered with the product but whatever I do its not working.

How do I change the email registered when I bought the product so I can set up 365 with the new email address? it keeps telling me the licensed product is already registered with a user. 

I bought the student home pack.

Thank you

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:13 PM

All replies

• I currently have two emails on my Microsoft accounts which I can sign in as. You can do this here: https://account.microsoft.com/profile/contact-info

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Thank you, I've tried that and when I add the email address I used to sign in (Hotmail account) I get this response:

This email is part of a reserved domain. Please enter a different email address.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:38 PM
  • And when I tried on the other way round to add the alias to the account where the subscription appears (the Hotmail one) I get the below response

This email address is already taken. Please try another one.

A bit of a blocker everywhere...

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:57 PM
  • You'll get that message if that email address is associated with another Microsoft account. If you can log into that old account or reset the password to gain access, it might be possible to contact Microsoft Billing to transfer the license. But you'll need access to both accounts.
    Friday, November 22, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Thank you, yes I do have access to both accounts so will contact them to transfer the license :)

What I also observe is the application on word is still telling me to register the licence and when I log in with the email I register the product with it says 'we are getting this ready for you' and then it vanishes, quite of a mystery this product activation 

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:29 PM
  • Hi Anagb,

As far as I know, if the email address ends with country domains like "@hotmail.co.uk", and you will get the message "This email is part of a reserved domain. Please enter a different email address." when you add it as a Microsoft account alias. And if the Hotmail address has been registered as Microsoft account, you could not also add it as a Microsoft account alias.

For more information, please refer to the answer of this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/this-email-address-is-part-of-a-reserved-domain/33c3595f-b897-4e67-b14b-c3b921d1ec51 

In addition, it's recommended to try to contact Microsoft Licensing Activation Centers to confirm if we could transfer the Microsoft account associated with Office. 

Besides, when the Hotmail address has been associated with Office 365 Home & Student, you may go to File > Account > Change License, change your Hotmail address. If it does not work, maybe you could refer to Change Office subscription account.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If your problem has been resolved, could you please share the solution with us and mark your reply as an answer? Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:04 AM