none
Migration from Server 2012 Essentials to 2019 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to migrate from an old server which has Windows Server 2012 Essentials installed to a new server which has Windows Server 2019 Standard. I have been using the Storage Migration Service which has copied across the data successfully but when it comes to the cutover, it fails on the first validation check. It says: "We can connect to the source computer using a local user account. Fail: Access is denied"

Every other validation passes including "We can connect to the source computer using the provided credential." and "We can create a local user account on the source computer."

The server is a Domain Controller so I don't have a local account as such, but I am using the domain administrator account (which is also in Enterprise Admins), but it keeps failing. The account I am using is also the account we used when we first set up the old server so it was the only local account before it was turned into a DC. I have also tried to enable "Administrator" and the validation still failed. Can anyone please advise what I am doing wrong?

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:27 AM

Answers

• After further investigation, I have found that the cause is most likely because it is a domain controller. I found this snippet under the FAQ regarding SMS.

Is domain controller migration supported?

The Storage Migration Service doesn't currently migrate domain controllers in Windows Server 2019. As a workaround, as long as you have more than one domain controller in the Active Directory domain, demote the domain controller before migrating it, then promote the destination after cut over completes. If you do choose to migrate a domain controller source or destination, you won't be able to cut over. You must never migrate users and groups when migrating from or to a domain controller.

I have promoted the new server to a domain controller and they are replicating. Can someone please advise how I would change the new domain controller to be "primary" and how to safely demote the old server from the domain?

• Edited by Ghiyas Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ghiyas Friday, July 10, 2020 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:27 AM

All replies

• After further investigation, I have found that the cause is most likely because it is a domain controller. I found this snippet under the FAQ regarding SMS.

Is domain controller migration supported?

The Storage Migration Service doesn't currently migrate domain controllers in Windows Server 2019. As a workaround, as long as you have more than one domain controller in the Active Directory domain, demote the domain controller before migrating it, then promote the destination after cut over completes. If you do choose to migrate a domain controller source or destination, you won't be able to cut over. You must never migrate users and groups when migrating from or to a domain controller.

I have promoted the new server to a domain controller and they are replicating. Can someone please advise how I would change the new domain controller to be "primary" and how to safely demote the old server from the domain?

• Edited by Ghiyas Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ghiyas Friday, July 10, 2020 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:27 AM
  • As you have found Storage Migration Service cannot be used on a domain controller but all data and shares are now on the new server. If your objective is to keep the old hostname of the 2012 server you may want to read this How to rename a domain controller after you migrated it, keep the old hostname.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:52 AM
  • Demoting the old server is as easy as uninstalling the Domain Services role on the 2012 server. If you do that you will be prompted to demote the 2012 server and this will also move FSMO roles to the new DC. After that you can rename the new DC to get the old hostname, see How to rename a domain controller after you migrated it, keep the old hostname

www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:55 AM
  • Hi Mariëtte,

Thank you for the link. So all I need to do to demote the old server, and transfer it's FMSO roles to the new server, is to remove the Active Directory Domain Services? Do I need to do anything with the Global Catalog?

Ideally I would like to use the old hostname, but it isn't critical or a deal-breaker if it is easier to just use the new hostname.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:30 PM
  • Normally, when you install a replica DC it will be a GC. You can check that in AD Sites and Services or with Powershell:

(Get-ADForest).Domains | %{ Get-ADDomainController -Filter * -Server $_ }

The above command lists all DC's in your Forest and it also shows, among other settings, which DC is a GC. I bet you have two now

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:38 PM
  • You are correct, I have 2 GC now. So your advice about just removing AD DS should be all I need to demote the old 2012 server? I just need to ensure I get this right before I make any changes to the domain, as this will be done outside of working hours to minimise any interruptions or downtime. 

How long would the demoting take, and how long would it take for the new server to take over as primary DC?

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:26 PM
  • If you want to have a bit more control you can move FSMO to the new server with this Powershell command:

Move-ADDirectoryServerOperationMasterRole -Identity $env:computername -Server $env:computername 0,1,2,3,4

You run the above on the server that should own FSMO roles, in your case the new 2019 server. Once that has been completed run this to see the result:

(Get-ADForest).Domains | %{ Get-ADDomainController -Filter * -Server $_ } | fl Hostname,IsGlobalCatalog,OperatingSystem,OperationMasterRoles

Demoting takes not long. In most cases it is only a minute or so. Normally it does not cause any downtime for users. The only thing you need to check if DNS on the clients or any member server is set to the new DC. If you have DHCP running on the old DC and you want to migrate that also make sure you change DNS server settings in the scope options!

Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:21 AM
  • Thank you for that, I think it would be better if I manually moved the FMSO roles before I demote the old server.

We currently don't have DNS or DHCP running on the old server, this is all done through the router as this is how the site was originally configured. I think it would be better to have DNS and DHCP configured on the new server, is this better than having it on the router?

Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:12 AM
  • DNS is always installed on a Domain Controller. I prefer to have everything on a Windows server because I have complete control over it and most routers have limited functionality.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:18 PM
  • Sounds like a good idea to have use DNS and DHCP on the server then. 

With DHCP, will it still give out IP addresses to clients that are not computers (sounds silly but I want to check), such as tablets, mobiles or IP cameras if I configure the router to use the Windows Server for DHCP?

Friday, July 10, 2020 10:32 AM
  • Yes, any device will get an IP address from the DHCP service on your Windows Server. You cannot have two DHCP servers on your network so you must disable DHCP on the router.

Friday, July 10, 2020 10:51 AM
  • HI
    I am glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 12, 2020 6:48 AM