none
What type hypervisor is Hyper-V in 10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Searched on technet, but didn't I didn't found any info about this - what type hypervisor is Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro?

Is it type-1 (known as "baremetal" hypervisor) or type-2, laying on top of OS?

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:49 PM

Answers

• It's a type 1 hypervisor.  It loads first and loads the host OS, which is a special type of virtual machine that works hand in hand with the hypervisor to handle the hardware.

Bob Comer

• Proposed as answer by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by d.woz Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:17 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hello

I believe it is codenamed Viridian and formerly known as Windows Server Virtualization used in windows 10

Regards, Regin Ravi

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:55 PM
  • It's a type 1 hypervisor.  It loads first and loads the host OS, which is a special type of virtual machine that works hand in hand with the hypervisor to handle the hardware.

Bob Comer

• Proposed as answer by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by d.woz Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:17 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Take a look here: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V#Architecture

for more information.  As Bob said, it is a type 1 hypervisor.  The Windows 10 OS is moved to a "parent partition" when you add the Hyper-V role.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Client Hyper-V (the Hyper-V version used in Windows 8+) is a Type 2, versus that of a Type 1 (ESXi, Hyper-V Server editions, etc.).

I'm not sure why the individuals answering above missed that this was a question about Client Hyper-V that's been included in Windows 8+.  Even more baffling is the posting of the Wikipedia link, of which clearly states that section is in reference to Windows Server editions.

• Proposed as answer by JW0914 Monday, June 5, 2017 7:18 PM
    • Edited by JW0914 Monday, June 5, 2017 7:23 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Client Hyper-V in Windows 8+ is a type 1 hypervisor, just like Hyper-V
    server, not a type 2 like VMWare Player, Virtual PC, ...

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:27 PM
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor agrees with Bob so the answer is correct imho. Also a gaming friend only interested in maxing out 4K FPS does not run Hyper-V on there Windows 10 machine for this exact reason.
    Monday, June 5, 2017 9:38 PM
  •   Indeed. Bob, Steve and I were around long enough ago to remember the old type 2 hypervisor in Windows (Virtual PC and Virtual Server). Hyper-V was released in 2008 for Windows Server (the pre-release version was indeed called Viridian) and it was later ported to the client OS.

Bill

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:02 AM