none
Virtual Disk Service error: Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume RRS feed

• Question

• DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    System             260 MB  1024 KB
      Partition 2    Reserved           128 MB   261 MB
      Partition 3    Primary             21 GB   389 MB
      Partition 4    Recovery          7720 MB    21 GB

DISKPART> select partition 4

Partition 4 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> delete partition override

Virtual Disk Service error:
    Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile,
    crashdump or hibernation volume

please help me solve this p 

• Edited by nanakams Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• You shouldn't delete the system partition, boot partition, or any partition that contains the virtual memory paging file, because Windows needs this information to startup and run properly

even though some of article in the internet said you will able to delete this partition after recovered recovery partition to USB or use other 3rd party apps to delete it, most of OEM PC wont let you delete this partition.

may I know why you want to delete that partition?

If you have tablet Windows 8.1 or PC with small storage and you want to free up the space, try to follow this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

http://www.howtogeek.com/188072/how-to-make-the-most-of-a-windows-8.1-tablets-limited-storage-space/

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/guide-to-maximizing-disk-space-on-your-dell-venue-8-pro-or-other-windows-8-1-system.60268/

more info I suggest you contact your PC manufactured, they supposed to be better solution for this. As far I know there is some built in software which can manage the storage space in their tablet Windows 8 or 8.1

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:58 AM
  • I use a windows 8.1 tablet with 16G as my inbuilt storage space  recovery has 5 to 6 G of my space  and the rest which is 8.67G is almost full i haven't install lots of apps but is full and i don't know what to do now  
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

Uninstall desktop apps and Store apps you don't need anymore in Programs and Features and Windows store.

Move your media file such like photo, music or movie to removable storage device.

Follow the links suggested by britishdhez, contact with your manufacture if you need to delete the recovery partition on your tablet. And after that you might need to send your tablet to manufacture for recover when you have system problem.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:00 AM
  • How can this be right? On a fresh install to a HDD, my SSD still has those 3 partitions that disk management, disk part cant remove.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          465 GB  1024 KB        *
      Disk 1    Online         4657 GB      0 B        *
      Disk 2    Online          465 GB  1024 KB        *
      Disk 3    Online         5589 GB      0 B        *

Windows is installed on disk 1. disk 3 is data. disk 0 & 2 are SSD.

I have no idea why windows assigned those numbers to my disks.

Friday, April 14, 2017 5:56 PM
  • you have to use the admin safe mode command prompt in bcd edit to delete the recovery partition 

and untill the new update out on USB  it is useless 

Friday, April 14, 2017 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Simply restore your system follow the procedure....... 

https://web.facebook.com/AssignProjects/posts/534171310291989

After Successfully restoration open file explorer and select the disk that have problem "

Virtual Disk Service error: Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume"
    and format it.....????.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:46 AM

• LOL this tablet is so ridiculous and the solutions equally as ridiculous ... I have 0 bytes of space on my C drive with ZERO programs installed... and a whopping 4MB in my user folder.   Windows update immediately consumes any space I manage to free up.   I would really love to get rid of the recovery partition.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:25 PM
  • Hello,

I am using win10 and the system is always showing there's no space in C drive. D drive is pagefile drive. I want to extend C. Is there any option to extend my C drive?

please help..... 

Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:56 PM