none
use of bitlocker drive encryption RRS feed

• Question

• My OS is Win 7 ultimate.  My C: drive has 1.5 TB memory and is used only for OS and apps.  I also have an E: drive with 4 TB memory which I use only for data.  I tried to use bitlocker drive encryption to encrypt my E: drive.  I followed directions and turned on bitlock, selected E: drive, created password, printed out recovery key and started encryption.  After almost 24 hours, this morning the screen said encryption complete.  I tried to access E: drive but was denied access.  I got two messages:

1st: "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.  Do you want to format it? Yes/NO"

2nd: "E:\ is not accessible.  The volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure that all required file  
                 system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."                                                                                       I didn't get any boxes to enter password or any means to enter recovery key.  Just no way to access E:\ drive.  I tried to reopen bitlock app to undo the encryption, but it said "compatible TPM could not be found".  Now I'm stuck with an unusable E: drive and I'm afraid I may have lost all my data on it.  Help.                                                                                      

Friday, August 7, 2015 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Dunston,

You can try to use the BitLocker Repair Tool to recover this drive and check if any helps:

Using the BitLocker Repair Tool to Recover a Drive

The BitLocker Repair Tool (Repair-bde) is a command-line tool included with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. This tool can be used to access encrypted data on a severely damaged hard disk if the drive was encrypted by using BitLocker Drive Encryption. Repair-bde can reconstruct critical parts of the drive and salvage recoverable data as long as a valid recovery password or recovery key is used to decrypt the data.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:31 AM