none
Offline MDT not applying OS RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am currently in the process of trying to create an USB Offline Media of our MDT deployment to allow re-imaging of computers that are not located at the home office. I have set up the deployment accordingly and followed instructions for creating a USB successful. (This link is close to the process I used https://www.bigbangllc.com/Support/UIU-Blog/PostId/59/creating-offline-media-with-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt). Booting the computer to the USB, launching the offline MDT deployment successfully. I select my options accordingly and then MDT starts. Everything goes smoothly until it tries to the apply the captured OS wim file to the computer. It will produce an error, "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000005). Click OK to close the application". Clicking OK ends the deployment. I ran many, many troubleshooting attempts to resolve this issue but to no luck. Any help would be helpful. 

    Main Steps I have performed:

    - Updated MDT and Windows ADK

    - Completely regenerated the boot image

    - Created a new Task Sequence

    - Recaptured the Windows 10 v1903 image and used it in the TS

    - Tried using the default Microsoft Windows 10 v1903 from the Windows install image

    - Pxe Boot to the deployment and reimaged the computer. This was successfully but USB Offline version no luck.

    One thing I have also noticed is that Diskpart is assigning the partition that Windows will be installed on as letter E: drive. I don't understand why it will not reassign the letter C: to the newly clean primary partition even though I noticed that diskpart reassign the C: drive as W: drive and then proceeds to clean and format the disk but then assign it as E: drive. Thus, dism tries to apply the OS to the E: drive instead. I have attempted to use powershell scripts to change the drive letter back to C: drive before the OS is applied. Which was successful but dism will try to look for the E: drive to apply the image still but errors out due to unable to locate it. 

    Link to the deployment logs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asj680Jl51lqa7YAZf6MQiNsvhI?e=bhO1tW 

    Friday, December 6, 2019 10:08 PM

Answers

  • After trying and trying to figure out the solution to my problem, I was finally able to figure it out. Turned out to be the USB itself that was causing the issue. I was using a DataTraveler 100 G3 64GB stick to do the offline deployment. I went ahead and first trim down the deployment to be put on a dual layer DVD. This allowed the offline deployment to work successfully but the 64GB USB stick was not working still. I decided to go to a 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB USB stick and they were all successful with the deployment. Trying the 64GB stick was still producing the same error using the same exact files that the smaller USB sticks used. Just something wrong with the 64GB USB stick.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:37 PM

All replies

  • Check this Reference Guide for more information 
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 2:55 AM
  • After trying and trying to figure out the solution to my problem, I was finally able to figure it out. Turned out to be the USB itself that was causing the issue. I was using a DataTraveler 100 G3 64GB stick to do the offline deployment. I went ahead and first trim down the deployment to be put on a dual layer DVD. This allowed the offline deployment to work successfully but the 64GB USB stick was not working still. I decided to go to a 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB USB stick and they were all successful with the deployment. Trying the 64GB stick was still producing the same error using the same exact files that the smaller USB sticks used. Just something wrong with the 64GB USB stick.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:37 PM