none
Vista Error Message msinet.ocx not correctly registered:file is missing or invalid RRS feed

• Question

•  

I hope this is the right area to post this but when I try and install a program I downloaded I get an error message : msinet.ocx not correctly registered:file is missing or invalid.   It will not allow me to install the program and I am not sure how I can repair this issue.  I tried running the program as the administratior and that did not work.  I also tried running the program in xp mode and that will not work either.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have had Vista for over a year and this is the first time that I have received THIS error message.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my research, Windows Vista no longer ships msinet.ocx (Microsoft Internet Transfer Control). applications which need this file should be upgraded to work with Windows Vista.

For more information, please refer to:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

I performed further investigation and found the following one:

http://jayed.us/2007/08/14/fixing-msinetocx-problem-on-vista/

Note: this method is provided by 3rd party website, I just list it for your reference, please try it at your own risk. I highly recommend you to fully backup your registry before trying this workaround, in case of potential risks.

If the problem still persists after applying the solution, please let me know the name of the application and the URL you download it. Thanks!

Hope it helps! Happy New Year!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my research, Windows Vista no longer ships msinet.ocx (Microsoft Internet Transfer Control). applications which need this file should be upgraded to work with Windows Vista.

Note: this method is provided by 3rd party website, I just list it for your reference, please try it at your own risk. I highly recommend you to fully backup your registry before trying this workaround, in case of potential risks.

If the problem still persists after applying the solution, please let me know the name of the application and the URL you download it. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I tried to load a program and got the same error message but I'm running Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.  Any solutions for me?

ShariKen

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  Lionel Chen - MSFT wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Hello sir and thank you for your help as  l am also  haven  the same issue with this MSINET.OXC file use XP pro and I noticed all of us asking on this issue are use diffrent OS'S so now i respect the info posted but so far your information also did not repair me i think this is a simple mess up by updates auto load to the pc as i never had a issue in the past useing the software that requires the OCX file so I like to learn more or I may be forced to re load my pc. witch i have done many times in th past but i think mirco soft atblame my self and i keep google ths ty.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:23 PM
  • I can't add to the system32 file even when I sign in as Administrator.  Do you know how I can add the file to system32 or can I save it elsewhere?

Thanks

DGJO

Friday, May 9, 2008 7:26 PM
  •  Lionel Chen - MSFT wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

I am having the same problem with Position Cost Averaging from Stocksystem.com, Tried the above fix with negative results. I even tried running it in XP Compatiabilty mode.

Daniel
    32 bit Vista Ultimate

PS Any help would be appreciated
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Try coping the file msinet.ocx in to the directory where the main .exe exists. This fixed the problem for me on XP Pro SP3.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:13 PM
  • where will i find directory where main exe exists
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:29 PM
  • can msinet.ocx stop sond on my laptop
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Hello!

How are you?

Do you have visual basic installed? If "Yes", then do not follow these directions below. Just reinstall/upgrade visual basic and the problem should go away. Visual basic 6 sp 6, with the latest security updates (currently spring 2009) can be found @microsoft download &/or support.

Quickie For Veterans:

Locate the msinet.cab on the web, extract and register msinet.ocx with the msinet.ini file.

Slower For Padawans:

This is what you must do - when all else fails (for XP users - VISTA? I dunno - this may or may not work, probably will, though)

Error 339 regarding VB 6
    "program developers just happened to forget to attach critical files"
    or
    "your operating system doesn't meet the requirements of the application you are trying to run"

Try This!
    1. Download Service Pack 6 For Visual Basic 6.0 < - - - - (Clickety-click there) Don't think, just do it!
    2. Extract contents of Vs6sp6B.exe (the gift from Microsoft you've just downloaded if you managed to follow the directions so far) to a convenient folder.
    3. Find the file "msinet.cab" inside the convenient folder - and extract the two files: "msinet.OCX" & "msinet.INI" to what will become your first installation folder (#01, see below)
    4. Rightclick "msinet.INI" (important) which should be visible in installation folder #01 - and choose Install from the context menu (aka right click menu) which should (most certainly) be located just below open. ...just don't click "open".
    5. Try to run the application in question (the application to blame for all of this) - Does it work? If it doesn't work, for any other reason than described in point number 6 (below), you are on your own. If it works -  congratulations - bye bye.
    6. If the application, that was released without sufficient runtime files, gives you another Error 339 saying something like "RICHTX32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file missing or invalid." You will need to go back to the convenient folder and locate RICHTX32.CAB and repeat the steps 3-5 above (extract into installation folder #02, rightclick - install). NOTE: This is also true for any *.OCX the Error 339 is complaining about.
    If you are unable to locate the file *.CAB in question, too bad... try to find the file and install/register it now that you know how.

Thanks for reading!
    /Peter
    • Proposed as answer by BVBravo Monday, April 4, 2016 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:09 AM
  • I just find another solution which has worked on a Vista system, and I (hope but am not sure if) it works on every Vista system (or not):

1.Turn UAC (user account control) off.

(If you don't know how to, just make a search with the keywords "Turn UAC off in Vista")

Restart Windows.

Now try to run your application again. It MAY work. If the problem is still there, then:

2.Find "msinet.ocx" in your system directory (which especially is "c:\windows\system32")

Cut it and paste it to your desktop (as a backup)

Run your application.

Hope it works on every Vista systems.

Volkan...

• Proposed as answer by mcross76 Monday, March 14, 2011 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:56 PM
  • (This is in continuation to Peter's response)

Would suggest one small change for Windows 7 on 64bit machines

1. Manually copy the MSINET.OCX to c:\windows\syswow64 folder

2. Manually register it with regsvr32 C:\windows\syswow64\msinet.ocx

You should manually reference this in Excel VBA!

• Edited by BVBravo Monday, April 4, 2016 2:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kurt Woloch Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:31 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hello!

How are you?

Do you have visual basic installed? If "Yes", then do not follow these directions below. Just reinstall/upgrade visual basic and the problem should go away. Visual basic 6 sp 6, with the latest security updates (currently spring 2009) can be found @microsoft download &/or support.

I have shorten the text of Peter for easier reading

Just fine it's work on Win10  (nov 2017).

Thanks for this solution; where you install a genuine msinet.ocx not a hazardous download from anywhere.

I have extracted msinet.ocx move it to syswow64 and register it.

This service pack contains also others required by vb, it might be a gold pot for others problems.

Salutations

• Edited by Persifal Friday, November 24, 2017 2:33 PM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! Even if this is over 3 years old, this also seems to be the correct way to do it in Windows 10!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:31 PM