none
Cannot install RSAT on Vista x64 Service Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have had to rebuild my work desktop (Vista Business x64 SP2) and didn't realise that RSAT ought to be installed prior to installing Service Pack 2.  I have seen articles and posts that suggest uninstalling SP 2 and reinstalling the update.  I have done this to no avail:
    1.) uninstall SP 2, then unisntall "Windows6.0-KB941314-x64_en-US",
    2.) then install Windows6.0-KB941314-x64_en-US
    3.) install Windows6.0-KB941314-x64_en-US
    4.) install SP2

All that took ages, and didn't work.  Not very happy - PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,

Charles

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Charles,

I suggest you refer to the steps in the following thread to install it:

RSAT tools Vista SP2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/403861db-228c-414e-b7e2-6f4f44d4785e

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

To make it easier for anyone who stumbles across this thread, below is an excerpt from the thread forwarded by Vincent in the post above - the bit in bold is what you want to know (Vista x64 is good too btw, not just x86):
    The Remote Server Administration Tools seem to be a part of SP2 (at least the 32-bit version and if you do a clean install) and it seems you do not need to download them.

After banging my head about it for a while, decided to do another search, came across this forum posting, decided to have a peek, and lo and behold...

If you go to Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off - if you scroll down, you will find an entry for RSAT without ever having to install them initially.

I have since tried this on a clean install of Vista SP2 - admittedly with all updates installed (blame WSUS for that), so it might get installed as part of that although I looked at all of the updates which installed and I couldn't find any which might install them - RSAT is still in the list on my install although your mileage may vary.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

I suggest you refer to the steps in the following thread to install it:

RSAT tools Vista SP2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/403861db-228c-414e-b7e2-6f4f44d4785e

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

To make it easier for anyone who stumbles across this thread, below is an excerpt from the thread forwarded by Vincent in the post above - the bit in bold is what you want to know (Vista x64 is good too btw, not just x86):
    The Remote Server Administration Tools seem to be a part of SP2 (at least the 32-bit version and if you do a clean install) and it seems you do not need to download them.

After banging my head about it for a while, decided to do another search, came across this forum posting, decided to have a peek, and lo and behold...

If you go to Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off - if you scroll down, you will find an entry for RSAT without ever having to install them initially.

I have since tried this on a clean install of Vista SP2 - admittedly with all updates installed (blame WSUS for that), so it might get installed as part of that although I looked at all of the updates which installed and I couldn't find any which might install them - RSAT is still in the list on my install although your mileage may vary.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:30 AM