none
WinPE and WinRE Creating a Bootable device, Bios vs UEFI. RRS feed

• Question

• A few years back I had created and customized a WinPE 3.1 bootable USB media that worked pretty well for my support needs for Win XP and Win 7. I had one for the X86 and one for the X64. I must say mostly used on Win XP before corporate client had no choice then to migrate to Windows 7.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to work on new Win 8.1 PCs with UEFI and secure boot.

In the boot manager I do not see my WinPE bootable Media as a possible USB boot device. Why?

So I started researching forums on the WEB. I must say that I am overwhelmed by all the information gathered on the WEB. I think that I have the information, but I need the glue to put it together.

What I am looking is for a flexible tool that will work on Win 7 and Win 8 and possibly on the occasional WinXP.

We now have WinRE and WinPE.

My understanding is that WinRE is to restore or refresh a damage installation from most likely:

1-a hidden partition from the hard drive that contains the factory default configuration, if the entire hard drive is not fried,

2- a previously created image file 

3- a valid install.wim file retrieved from  the Windows 7/8 installation DVD.

Right? The last two could be restored with a WinPE right?

From what I have read, to get a better tool we need to customise the WinRE to include the WinPE tools.

So what is the difference between WinRE and WinPE? There must be a difference in the boot of the WinRE vs WinPE? Which tool is preferable? Should we have both in different partitions of a USB Hard Drive?

I have retrieved the Boot.wim and Install.wim files from the Windows 8 iso file.

The install.wim needs to be copied to the Boot.wim of WinPE? it does not make sense to me.

An other confusion in my mind is with the AIK installation Windows Automated Installation Kit and the ADK Windows Assessment & Deployment Kit.

The last time for WinPE 3.0/3.1, I installed the AIK for Windows 7. It was a 1.9 Gig installation file. From that installation I got the files I needed to create my WinPE bootable media.

For Windows 8 we are taking ADK (Windows Assessment & Deployment Kit update file of less than 2 Meg to get the WinPE 5.0/5.1?

Since we are looking at update files, what is the base file or what file are needed to install the ADK file for Windows 8 and then the update file for Windows 8.1?

What is the update/upgrade path?

Was there a WinPE 4.x ?

There is so much information out there that I can get a global understanding. As I said I am missing something that would bind all that information together.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is the information about Windows PE:
    (WinPE) Windows PE 5.0 (WinPE) is a small operating system used to install, deploy, and repair Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, and other Windows operating systems. See: WinPE for Windows 8.1: Windows PE 5.1

For the versions of Windows PE, please check here: What's New in Windows PE

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) is a recovery environment that can repair common causes of unbootable operating systems. Windows RE is based on Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), and can be customized with additional drivers, languages, Windows PE Optional Components, and other troubleshooting and diagnostic tools. More information, see: Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) Overview

For how to create a USB Bootable drive of Windows 8/8.1, please see:

WinPE: Create USB Bootable drive

For the system that has UEFI, to install Windows on it we need the USB drive is at least 4GB, and  FAT
    formatted. See:
    Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style, that's why the WinPE bootable Media doesn't work here.

If any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is the information about Windows PE:
    (WinPE) Windows PE 5.0 (WinPE) is a small operating system used to install, deploy, and repair Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, and other Windows operating systems. See: WinPE for Windows 8.1: Windows PE 5.1

For the versions of Windows PE, please check here: What's New in Windows PE

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) is a recovery environment that can repair common causes of unbootable operating systems. Windows RE is based on Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), and can be customized with additional drivers, languages, Windows PE Optional Components, and other troubleshooting and diagnostic tools. More information, see: Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) Overview

For how to create a USB Bootable drive of Windows 8/8.1, please see:

WinPE: Create USB Bootable drive

For the system that has UEFI, to install Windows on it we need the USB drive is at least 4GB, and  FAT
    formatted. See:
    Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style, that's why the WinPE bootable Media doesn't work here.

If any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:19 AM
  • WINPE can also be customized with additional drivers,languages,winpe optional components,etc.... The major difference between the two is the a stock default winpe boots directly to the command prompt, while winre boots to a boot gui selection menu. 
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:31 PM