none
Scan failed with error = 0x80070057 - Windows Updates RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi There,

    I have a very strange issue which seems to affect only a number of servers. The strange thing is also if I reboot the servers affected out of hours then operations resume OK and the logs are successful. This seems to be a re-occurring problem. 

    For days, the WAUHandler log file shows this:

    <![LOG[Async searching of updates using WUAgent started.]LOG]!><time="21:59:24.332+00" date="11-20-2019" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="4896" file="cwuahandler.cpp:905">
    <![LOG[Async searching completed.]LOG]!><time="21:59:34.379+00" date="11-20-2019" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="30888" file="cwuahandler.cpp:2702">
    <![LOG[Successfully completed scan.]LOG]!><time="21:59:35.082+00" date="11-20-2019" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="4896" file="cwuahandler.cpp:4203">

    Everything looks good, but then all of a sudden some servers will start reporting:

    <![LOG[OnSearchComplete - Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80070057.]LOG]!><time="20:18:28.468+00" date="11-21-2019" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="3" thread="4896" file="cwuahandler.cpp:3711">
    <![LOG[Scan failed with error = 0x80070057.]LOG]!><time="20:18:28.468+00" date="11-21-2019" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="3" thread="4896" file="cwuahandler.cpp:4166">

    This then fails for ever more until I reboot the affected server, the majority seem to work OK but I have around 20 or 30 that keep doing this. We are using SCCM 2019 1906 with the latest updates applied. 

    Going further I got the windowsupdatelog from powershell, and I can see the following error (Note* We do not use a proxy)

    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1151916 920   20424 WebServices     Auto proxy settings for this web service call.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170570 920   20424 WebServices     WS error: Unable to configure proxy settings for the HTTP request.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170579 920   20424 WebServices     WS error: The parameter is incorrect.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170604 920   20424 WebServices     Web service call failed with hr = 80070057.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170608 920   20424 WebServices     Current service auth scheme=0.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170613 920   20424 WebServices     Current Proxy auth scheme=0.
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1170681 920   20424 WebServices     Failed in NwsCallWithRetries( [_clientId, _targetGroupName, _dnsName, &_result](NWSCALL_PARAMETERLIST) -> HRESULT { return SimpleAuthService::SimpleAuthSoap_GetAuthorizationCookie( NWSCALL_HEAD_PARAMS, _clientId, _targetGroupName, _dnsName, &_result, NWSCALL_TAIL_PARAMS); }, pcTransientErrorRetries): 0X80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1171603 920   20424 ProtocolTalker  Failed to initialize Simple Targeting Cookie 0x80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1171632 920   20424 ProtocolTalker  PopulateAuthCookies failed 0x80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1171645 920   20424 ProtocolTalker  RefreshCookie failed 0x80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1171658 920   20424 ProtocolTalker  RefreshPTState failed 0x80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1171667 920   20424 ProtocolTalker  StartCategoryScan failed  0x80070057
    2019/11/19 10:12:46.1255430 920   20424 Agent           Exit code = 0x80070057

    The strangest thing is that as soon as we reboot the server this whole thing goes back to working fine for a week at most before it reverts to the above. Any information or ideas would be more than appreciated. 

    Thanks


    • Edited by Lukeass Friday, November 22, 2019 11:41 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 11:37 AM

All replies

  • Have you tried deleting the contents of the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder?

    Also, what OS are these target systems?

    On a side semantic note, there is no such thing SCCM/ConfigMgr 2019. The latest ConfigMgr product is simply Configuration Manager and the latest version is simply 1906. Also, ConfigMgr is no longer part of the System Center suite so SCCM is not correct anymore either.


    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys


    Friday, November 22, 2019 1:45 PM
  • ok thanks, makes sense. So its just configuration manager 1906. 

    I did do that, I renamed the folder to old and it recreated but I seem to be in this same loop. The servers are all Windows 2016. Around all 100 of them are, they all have same group policies - just this subset that keeps playing up. 

    In the windowsupdatelog when it starts working after a reboot I notice it gets a new authentication cookie, if that has anything to do with it I am not sure,

    Friday, November 22, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

    For further troubleshooting, I suggest you try to run a Synchronize Software Updates in Console of ConfigMgr.
    If the problem has not been eliminated after that, then I also recommend that you invite your network team to analyze and investigate with you, try to find out what's changed in your network.

    Best regards,
    Larry


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, November 25, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Thanks Larry,

    I have tried that to no avail, I have noticed since this issue is simply sporadic across all servers now - if I reboot them then everything goes back to a working state. I seem to be chasing my tail on this issue and simply cannot pinpoint why a restart of an affected server solves it for a period of time. Logic tells me if it were a static problem a reboot would not solve it for a period of time. 

    I am wondering if because all these servers are virtual made from the same image is there something duplicated that is causing the sporadic disconnects.

    Thanks


    • Edited by Lukeass Friday, November 29, 2019 9:16 AM
    Friday, November 29, 2019 9:11 AM