Migrage to released XP Mode from RC version RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to move my virtual disks from the RC XP mode to the released version?  I see the release notes for the full release say to uninstall everything, which I presume will also lose all my installed applications and the like on the virtual XP sessions.
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Above all, RC is a trial version so that we will need to remove it when it outdate.

XP Mode released version will be a new guest system so that we may need to reinstall the programs installed on RC version. For files, we can copy them to Host system and restore them after installing the new XP Mode.

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Above all, RC is a trial version so that we will need to remove it when it outdate.

XP Mode released version will be a new guest system so that we may need to reinstall the programs installed on RC version. For files, we can copy them to Host system and restore them after installing the new XP Mode.

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:22 AM
  • That's how it appears.  I wonder if I could do an image backup of my XP partition with Acronis True Image, install the release version, then do a restore of the XP partition in the released version?  I just don't want to rebuild some of the data that I've never figured out how to transfer to another environment successfully. :)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I did something similar (did not use Acronis) and although it was a slow process, it seemed to work fine.  I reinstalled all the apps and did a restore of just the data and it seems to be working and accessable after the restore.  Just makes sure you copy the vhd file to a separate location as a backup (probably don't need to say that, just my help desk training) in case it does not work. 

Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I think I'll try the Acronis True Image route.

I got a reply on the MVP newsgroups that someone claims to have simply installed the release version over the RC and it worked fine.  Since the instructions clearly state you should uninstall it, I'm not that sure I want to try that...

I'll be making an image backup of the whole boot drive, including the virtual disks, before any of this happens! :-)

Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:18 PM