none
Bitlocker Encryption Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently undertaking Bitlocker drive encryption on multiple laptops at my workplace.

However I have encountered a problem. On one laptop I load up bitlocker encryption and normally gives me 3 options before encrypting. These are: Use bitlocker without additional keys; Require a PIN at every startup; Require a startup key at every startup.

However on this laptop only the last option 'Require a startup key at every startup' is available, whilst the others are greyed out. I normally select Require a PIN at every startup.

At the bottom of the window it says 'Some setting are managed by your system administrator' - which I am.

I have also gone into gpedit.msc and selected 'enable', 'allow bitlocker without a compatible tpm' and ALLOW all other settings, which I then change (once I have encrypted the drive) to 'require startup PIN with tpm'.

How can I solve this issue?

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:44 AM

Answers

• The first 2 options are grayed out because they rely on TPM.

Make sure TPM is enable in BIOS and check the status using TPM Management console (Start-->Run-->tpm.msc)

Manoj Sehgal

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:39 AM

All replies

• The first 2 options are grayed out because they rely on TPM.

Make sure TPM is enable in BIOS and check the status using TPM Management console (Start-->Run-->tpm.msc)

Manoj Sehgal

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Currently, I  know Windows 8.1 Pro without TPM able to select for 3 options.

So, do windows 7 ent, have patch or utility software that allow to do similar Windows 8.1 pro.

I feel, using USB-thumb is not convenient to use with laptop  and high risk to lost or damage.

if you know others solutions, please suggest me.

Thank you.

Friday, November 28, 2014 3:13 AM