none
Can't add account on new phone: "Push notification registration failed" RRS feed

• Question

• Recently switched to a new phone (Google Pixel 2 XL) running Android 8.0.0.

Tried to re-add work account and can't.

After scanning the QR code, it prompts with: 

"Push notification registration failed"

"We couldn't register for push notifications."

I've double checked the app has full permissions and is an admin app and it still fails to add. 

Was working fine on my Nexus 6P running Android 8.0.0, although I didn't try deleting it and re-adding the account to my old phone.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

What is account type? Microsoft account, Azure AD account or other type?

Microsoft Authenticator App needs many permissions. You could check following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/end-user/microsoft-authenticator-app-faq

If possible, I suggest you could re-install latest version App.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:07 AM
  • It is a Microsoft Work account. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've even tried the Beta version.

In the App Permissions menu all permissions are turned on.

I've made the app a Device Admin App.

I get the same "Push notification registration failed" every time.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 6:00 PM
  • Hi

For a personal Microsoft account (one that you use to sign in to Outlook.com, Xbox, Skype, etc.), all you have to do is sign in to your account in the Microsoft Authenticator app.

You don't need scan QR code.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:18 AM
  • Hi

It happen to me as well. the problem is I download from other store not from google play. so when download authentication from the play store I can solve this problem.

so if you on on android OS please download from play store (google).

Best,

Chomneau

Friday, December 14, 2018 9:35 AM
  • I have the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I work for multiple customers who haves MFA enabled. I receive an error when scanning a new QR code.
    Friday, January 18, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Same issue here. I have a Samsung S9 Plus with Android 8.1

As soon as I register with my Office 365 Account I get the message "Push notification registration failed - We couldn't register for push notifications."

It is possible to register the same account without push notifications.

On my Samsung S6 I had no problems so it cannot be matter of the Office 365 account.

Friday, December 20, 2019 2:37 PM
  • Same problem here with Galaxy Note 10+, did not have the problem on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro :-(
    Monday, January 20, 2020 7:40 AM