none
Application launch failed

Question

• The installation went well on both the client, server as well as the sequencer. I am able to publish applications and the application icon appear on the client desktop but the problem that I am running into is that application fails to launch. I get two different errors one with firewall disabled in management server and the other with enabled. Following are the errors:

With firewall bieng disabled:

The Application Virtualization Client could not launch Word Viewer 2003. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. Error code: 4505CD-19D0682A-0000274D

With Firewall enabled:

The Application Virtualization Client could not launch Word Viewer 2003.

The Application Virtualization Client could not establish a connection to the Application Virtualization Server. Check your network connection, and then try again. If the problem persists, report the following error code to your System Administrator.

Error code: 4505CD-19D06A0A-10000004

The errors seems to be related to some connectivity issue to the management server. I have already created an exception for the App-V in firewall. I am able to browse the content directory and App-V user group has the appropriate permissions to access and launch apps.

The client and sequencer OS is Vista, management server is Server 2008 EE.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• Thank you so much for your help. Adding the sghwsvr.exe exception into Windows Firewall fixed the issue.

I am running my App-V lab in a virtual environment and another issue that I was having was with the App-V Management Server service. It
    fails to start on boot when running in a virtualized environment even though it is setup to start automatically. It will be necessary to start the service manually after any reboot to the Management Server or the application launch would fail. 
    • Marked as answer by salba Monday, March 02, 2009 3:22 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:32 PM
  • You should check the server log (in the App-V Server/Logs file) for the cause, but most likely the service started and stopped because it could not contact the database.  This is common in a lab if you are also booting the database server at the same time (differenet vms or on the same machine). 

Because the service shuts down on an error to the database, best practice is to modify the parameters of the windows service to wait a minute or so and retry (same for second failure).
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hi fbawany,

check out KB930730 and because App-V using higher ports also, create exceptions for sghwdsptr.exe and sghwsvr.exe into Windows Firewall with Advanced (see post).

If you are using RTSPS keep in mind, that the port changed in App-V 4.5 from 332 to 322.

Regards

________
    vkleinerde
    Friday, February 13, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Thank you so much for your help. Adding the sghwsvr.exe exception into Windows Firewall fixed the issue.

I am running my App-V lab in a virtual environment and another issue that I was having was with the App-V Management Server service. It
    fails to start on boot when running in a virtualized environment even though it is setup to start automatically. It will be necessary to start the service manually after any reboot to the Management Server or the application launch would fail. 
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:32 PM
  • You should check the server log (in the App-V Server/Logs file) for the cause, but most likely the service started and stopped because it could not contact the database.  This is common in a lab if you are also booting the database server at the same time (differenet vms or on the same machine). 

Because the service shuts down on an error to the database, best practice is to modify the parameters of the windows service to wait a minute or so and retry (same for second failure).
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:39 AM