none
App-V 5.0 no longer allows a manual or automatic publishing refresh to add and/or remove applications

Question

• We just received confirmation from Microsoft that there has been what we deem a major behavior change in App-V 5.0 from 4.x. With 4.x you could add a user to an AD group that is assigned to a virtual application then on the client machine the user could right click the App-V icon in the system tray and choose 'Refresh Applications' and the app's icon would appear immediately. You could also wait for the configured automatic refresh time and the app's icon would be added immediately. Same applied is you removed a user from an app group.

This is no longer the case in App-V 5.0 as there is only one way to get app to be added or removed from client and that is to have them log off and log back on. Like many organizations, we have users who do not routinely log off/log on, they just lock their PC and unlock it. These people would never get a new app added or removed!

In the 5.0 client there is an 'update' button, but all this does is apply any changes to an already assigned application such as if you changed the icon name, and that only occurs after the default 10 minute publishing server to management server refresh has occurred (although you can change this from 10 minutes to something lower).

My point is, in 4.6 you could add a user to a group and have them click refresh and the user had the app immediately or tell them to continue working normally and the new app icon would appear within an hour. We opened a case with premier support and they confirmed that this behavior change is expected, although the engineer sounded shocked that this was the case and he seemed surprised this had not come up yet. Also, I recall that at TechEd 2010 the App-V team demoed the beta version and one of the things the did was add a user to a group, click the then named refresh button and the app would appear.

As I mentioned above, in the RTM build this button has been renamed to 'Update' but its not just a name change, but a complete change from 4.6 and the 5.0 beta 1.  I have been unable to find any documentation from Microsoft pointing out this major change in behavior, and the fact that a member of the App-V team that authored the KB about server publishing refresh times in App-V 5.0 was surprised to realize this change (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2780177) Is it just me or is this a major issue with 5.0?

This will  prevent us from migrating to 5.0. Any one know of a workaround or some other option?  If you want to see what I am talking about, log onto a machine with the 5.0 client, add yourself to an App-V 5.0 app group that you are not already a member of, do not log off and you will see that you never get the app on your client. What a few hours if you want, it won't show up. Lock the machine and unlock it. Still now new app.  Now log off and log back on and only then will you see the new app show up.  You can repeat this by now removing yourself from the group and waiting. The app will remain there until you log off/on.

• Edited by Robtown Friday, December 14, 2012 3:19 PM
    • Edited by Aaron.ParkerMVP, Moderator Friday, December 14, 2012 6:09 PM added paragraphs to make question readable
    Friday, December 14, 2012 3:17 PM

Answers

• I am happy to report that this issue is fixed in service pack 2. We have been working directly with the product group and have access to a private, pre-release build of SP2 and I can say with certainty that it addresses this issue. Keep an eye out for the SP2 announcement for info. on a release date.

Robbie

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Monday, October 14, 2013 1:53 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:15 PM

All replies

• We just received confirmation from Microsoft that there has been what we deem a major behavior change in App-V 5.0 from 4.x. With 4.x you could add a user to an AD group that is assigned to a virtual application then on the client machine the user could right click the App-V icon in the system tray and choose 'Refresh Applications' and the app's icon would appear immediately. You could also wait for the configured automatic refresh time and the app's icon would be added immediately. Same applied is you removed a user from an app group. This is no longer the case in App-V 5.0 as there is only one way to get app to be added or removed from client and that is to have them log off and log back on. Like many organizations, we have users who do not routinely log off/log on, they just lock their PC and unlock it. These people would never get a new app added or removed! In the 5.0 client there is an 'update' button, but all this does is apply any changes to an already assigned application such as if you changed the icon name, and that only occurs after the default 10 minute publishing server to management server refresh has occurred (although you can change this from 10 minutes to something lower).  My point is, in 4.6 you could add a user to a group and have them click refresh and the user had the app immediately or tell them to continue working normally and the new app icon would appear within an hour. We opened a case with premier support and they confirmed that this behavior change is expected, although the engineer sounded shocked that this was the case and he seemed surprised this had not come up yet. Also, I recall that at TechEd 2010 the App-V team demoed the beta version and one of the things the did was add a user to a group, click the then named refresh button and the app would appear. As I mentioned above, in the RTM build this button has been renamed to 'Update' but its not just a name change, but a complete change from 4.6 and the 5.0 beta 1.  I have been unable to find any documentation from Microsoft pointing out this major change in behavior, and the fact that a member of the App-V team that authored the KB about server publishing refresh times in App-V 5.0 was surprised to realize this change (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2780177) Is it just me or is this a major issue with 5.0? This will  prevent us from migrating to 5.0. Any one know of a workaround or some other option?  If you want to see what I am talking about, log onto a machine with the 5.0 client, add yourself to an App-V 5.0 app group that you are not already a member of, do not log off and you will see that you never get the app on your client. What a few hours if you want, it won't show up. Lock the machine and unlock it. Still now new app.  Now log off and log back on and only then will you see the new app show up.  You can repeat this by now removing yourself from the group and waiting. The app will remain there until you log off/on.

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I was able to add and remove an application published to my user account without logoff/logon by running the Sync-AppvPublishingServer PowerShell cmdlet. This also worked by clicking the Update icon in the client window (which runs Get-AppVPublishgServer | Sync-AppVPublishingServer).

What's the command you've used to set the publishing server on your client PC?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:53 PM
  • We use GPO as the primary method, but have also installed the client with the publishing server in the install command line (below). We have 4.6 SP2 co-existing with 5.0. Do you have both on the machine where you are not seeing this behavior?

We had a conference call with the App-V support engineer and he again confirmed this behavior change we are seeing is by design and he is pinging the devs and PMs to get more info such as why did this change occur and why is it not documented anywhere.

setup.exe /q /CEIPOPTIN=1 /MUOPTIN=1 AUTOLOAD=1 /ENABLEPACKAGESCRIPTS=1 /MIGRATIONMODE=1 /S1PUBLISHINGSERVERNAME=APPV /S1PUBLISHINGSERVERURL=HTTP://server.domain.com:58009 /S1GLOBALREFRESHENABLED=1 /S1LOGONREFRESH=1 /S1GLOBALREFRESHINTERVAL=1 /S1GLOBALREFRESHINTERVALUNIT=0 /S1USERREFRESHENABLED=1 /S1USERREFRESH=1 /S1USERREFRESHINTERVAL=1 /S1USERREFRESHINTERVALUNIT=0

Robbie

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:25 PM
  • I've tested on a manually built machine and installed client (v5 only). I've also manually defined a published server using PowerShell. 

In your client install command, you've got S1GLOBALREFRESHINTERVALUNIT set to 0, which means that a (presumably) global refresh will never occur, unless GP is overwriting that value.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:46 PM
  • The GLOBALREFRESHINTERVALUNIT is set to 0 because 0=hours (see screen shot of client install switches). For this install switch there are only two choices: 0 and 1 where 0=hours and 1=days.

Robbie

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:52 PM
  • So it does - I was reading GlobalRefreshInterval.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Aaron, is your publishing and/or management server 2008 R2 or 2012? Ours is 2012.  I installed the 5.0 client without a 4.6 co-existence and get the same results as I have been reporting. Since you are seeing your App-V 5.0 client publishing refresh work as it does in 4.x and e are not, I hoping to see if we can figure out what is different.

Microsoft support did mention that have had another premier case logged since RTM reporting the same issue and they gave them the same answer they are giving me that this behavior change is by design. But as I mentioned, the support engineer we are working with was surprised about this change so maybe there is a workaround they don't yet realize.   I am grasping, but hopeful.

Robbie

Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:50 PM
  • I've tested in an environment with Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7 client.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

I can confirm the same behavior with a management/publishing server on 2008R2.

when i change the user AD membership the client does not remove (or add) the applications dinamically but only after logoff/logon. I supposed an issue with the powershell execution policy, but although the /remotesigned switch the problem persist; also restarting the client service. However, the publishing server link that expose the xml for refreshing (http://APPV02:8560 in my lab env) is correctly updated together with the membership.

i will continue to work on this.

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I tried to restart the WWW Publishing Service after the membership editing, in this way the update button in the client works fine and the applications are correctly added and removed.

Robbie can you try this test please?

thanks

• Edited by LATTEplus Monday, December 17, 2012 1:03 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Are you proposing to restart the WWW publishing service every time a user is added or removed from a group? If yes, even if that works it would not be feasible.

Robbie

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:07 PM
  • The change in App-V that is causing this issue (according to MSFT support) is that in order for App-V to see the group membership change and therefore add/remove the virtual app, the users security token must be refreshed, which will only occur during a logon. What we are also seeing is, after adding a user to an app group, if the user locks/unlocks their PC and the unlock requires them to enter their PW, a manual refresh will add or remove the virtual app. An automatic refresh still does not occur like it does when the user logs off/on. My belief if this could be related to the new ability to deploy App-V apps to machines. In early betas of 5.0, there was no ability to deploy to machines and you could still add a user to group and do a manual publish refresh and the app appeared immediately. It could just be coincidence though.

Robbie

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:12 PM
  • I know and you're right. You can attach a short script to the publishing refresh event on your publishing server so every time a user update his client (and generates the event on the server), the server will restart the www service. I'm with you to fix this behavior because I was in order to deploy app-v 5, I awaited the new release and now this risk to stop the process...
    • Proposed as answer by James Botham Monday, August 12, 2013 1:03 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 2:23 PM
  • the update button works perfectly after a klist purge/klist tgt command...

i'm looking for a way to include this commands during the client update process.

please share your experience with this simple workaround.

thanks

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:27 AM
  • This does seem to work, but seems like a really, really bad idea.

Robbie

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Has anyone heard anything new about this? Has Microsoft made any comments?

Robbie

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Is nobody else seeing this behavior?  We have a great deal of Autologin "Public" machines.  We are blocked from moving to app-v 5.0 because in order to publish new apps to these machines we would essentially have to reboot all of them every time.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 3:30 PM
  • I'm seeing this behavior also and while not a dealbreaker it's certainly a step backward.  

We use shutdown scripts for app deployment (for non-AppV programs) so our users are accustomed to the idea of rebooting before seeing new apps.  We also shutdown our public machines with an hour of inactivity so reboots are fairly common.

But we're using AppV exclusively in a lab environment where there are multiple user sessions and multiple reboots per day.  We would certainly not extend AppV into the employee environment where a single session spans days or weeks with this limitation in place.  

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Having Similar experience. Does anyone know if this is resolved now. Giving that last update in the forum is in February.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:46 AM
  • I am happy to report that this issue is fixed in service pack 2. We have been working directly with the product group and have access to a private, pre-release build of SP2 and I can say with certainty that it addresses this issue. Keep an eye out for the SP2 announcement for info. on a release date.

Robbie

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Monday, October 14, 2013 1:53 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I know this post is old, but I've installed SP2 on a few of our clients, but we still have the issue that clients arent updating without a logoff/login.

I'm hoping someone might have some additional insight for this?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Add the following registry key on each App-V publishing server and reboot:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Server\PublishingService

"RefreshGroupsFromAD"=dword:00000001

Robbie

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:33 PM