none
VPN was not configured succesfully

Question

• Hi,

I'm installed a Windows 2012 Essentials server at my wife's small office, and trying to sort out the Anywhere Access.  When configuring for both RWA and VPN, the wizard constantly reports "VPN was not configured successfully".  And I'm running out of ideas to trouble shoot.  Can anyone help?

RWA works fine.  Can access the server, files and so on.  Can also RDP successfully onto the admin desktop app too.  But VPN refuses.

- We have a fixed IP address and a fast SSDL fibre connection to the internet (supplied as part of a business centre)

- We do not have access to the router (its a managed service) but I am informed that the following ports 25, 80, 443, 987, 1723 and 3389 are al being forwarded to the server

- Haven't got any anti-virus on the server yet so, not blocking stuff.  That's the next job after getting VPN working

- Is there a particular protocol that the router may be refusing or blocking

- Is there a way that I can check the port settings? given that RWA and RDP is OK, that means it must be the VPN port or another problem?

Anyone able to offer some suggestions

Many thanks

Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Do you have issued the certificate on server? If yes, is it third party certificate? What is error message from the dashboard logs?

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Monday, June 3, 2013 6:58 AM
  • As explained above, I'm unable to configure VP on WS2012E.  So here is a more consolidated, detailed explanation of the problerm and current state.

When configuring Anywhere access, selecting VPN and RWA, RWA is configured but the wizard is unable to configure VPN.  I've tried too many times to remember how many.

After attempting to "configuring VPN" and doing the "verifying" stage a couple of times, it finally comes back with the following message
    "VPN was not configured successfully" - To configure VPN again, click Retry.
    But of course, the re-try always comes back with the same result.
    The setup is pretty straight forward:

- The server is brand-new from Dell and WS2012E was installed by them in the factory
    - Router is managed by anoter company but ports 80 and 443 are forwarded.  http, https and RDC is working fine
    - Ports are forwarde to the same port for the WS2012E server's IP address on the LAN
    - We have our own domain and the A record is configured to our fixed exernal IP address
    - Have a high speed SSDL fibre connection to the internet
    - Got a third party SSL certificate from RapidSSL, installed and that appears to be OK. No warnings when connecting via SSL to the Anywhere access portal.
    - The SSL certificate is for the domain "remote.my_domain.co.uk'
    - I've not installed any other software on the server yet
    - Windows firewal is running but have not installed any AV, as I want to sort out VPN first
    - Web access to Anywhere (RWA) access (using https) is fine and can connect using RDC to the desktop too

If I look in the dashboard logfile then I dont really see very much.  Just that it failed. No obvious informative error message:

[900] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.CertificateAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [900] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: RemoteAccessAnalyzer: VPN server deployment result: InstallationFailed
    [900] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.RemoteAccessAnalyzer analyze completed. 1 suggestions found.
    [900] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Current SQM Data is 1048575.
    [4008] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Diagnositcs completed. Status: Success
    [4008] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Suggestion: To configure VPN again, click Retry.
    [4008] 130603.213526.2503: ConnectivityCenter: Overall status: Error

So...

- Has anyone experienced anything similar to this, how did you resolved?
    - Am I corrected in thinking I only need 80 and 443 forwarded (as it uses SSTP over SSL)?

It's very quiet on this one.  Can someone help ... Please?

Friday, June 7, 2013 1:18 PM
  • your server use static ip ? I think essential server is normally put behind a router and there are more client behind the router, and get ip by dhcp. if there is no router then even if you set up vpn, how do you going to access your client machine ? and I guess if you server didn't connect to a router, enable VPN will fail.  

Sunday, June 9, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

The server is effectively behind a router that has DHCP.  But the server has a static IP address on my LAN.  The router also has a static IP address on the internet, and I've created an "A" record that routes my "remote.mydomain.co.uk" URL to the server.  That's what I meant.

Given that HTTPS to RWA and RDC to the server desktop is working, there appears to be an issue with just the VPN configuration.  I do not see why this is not working.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should go next to try and resolve this?

Sunday, June 9, 2013 5:21 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.

Setting up a new server with Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

I ran the 'Set up Anywhere Access' wizard and successfully configured Remote Web Access and installed an SSL certificate, but VPN configuration failed. It said I should restart the server and try running the wizard again, which I did, but it still fails to configure VPN. The error message simply says "VPN was not configured successfully. To configure VPN again, click Retry." If I do that, it fails every time.

I searched through the Dashboard.log file hoping to find some more detailed information on why it failed and found the following. Can anyone make sense of this?

[15276] 130611.160847.5864: RemoteAccess: PS > RemoteAccess\Install-RemoteAccess -VpnType Vpn;
    [15276] 130611.160848.7584: RemoteAccess: PS Exception (catch and rethrow): System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: The remote access configuration task (raconfigtask) in Windows Task Scheduler cannot be disabled. ---> Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimException: The remote access configuration task (raconfigtask) in Windows Task Scheduler cannot be disabled.
       at Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.Internal.Operations.CimAsyncObserverProxyBase`1.ProcessNativeCallback(OperationCallbackProcessingContext callbackProcessingContext, T currentItem, Boolean moreResults, MiResult operationResult, String errorMessage, InstanceHandle errorDetailsHandle)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.ConstructPipelineAndDoWork(Runspace rs, Boolean performSyncInvoke)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.CreateRunspaceIfNeededAndDoWork(Runspace rsToUse, Boolean isSync)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvokeHelper[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection`1 input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection`1 input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TOutput](IEnumerable input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PowerShellHost.Invoke(PSCommand commands)
    [15276] 130611.160848.7740: TaskManagement: In TaskScheduler.RunTasks(): The "EnableRemoteAccess" Task threw an Exception during the Run() call:System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: The remote access configuration task (raconfigtask) in Windows Task Scheduler cannot be disabled. ---> Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimException: The remote access configuration task (raconfigtask) in Windows Task Scheduler cannot be disabled.
       at Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.Internal.Operations.CimAsyncObserverProxyBase`1.ProcessNativeCallback(OperationCallbackProcessingContext callbackProcessingContext, T currentItem, Boolean moreResults, MiResult operationResult, String errorMessage, InstanceHandle errorDetailsHandle)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.ConstructPipelineAndDoWork(Runspace rs, Boolean performSyncInvoke)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.Worker.CreateRunspaceIfNeededAndDoWork(Runspace rsToUse, Boolean isSync)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvokeHelper[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection`1 input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TInput,TOutput](PSDataCollection`1 input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at System.Management.Automation.PowerShell.CoreInvoke[TOutput](IEnumerable input, PSDataCollection`1 output, PSInvocationSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PowerShellHost.Invoke(PSCommand commands)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteAccess.RemoteAccessPowerShellHost.InstallVpnServer(VpnServerConfiguration configuration, String computerName)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteAccess.RemoteAccessDeploymentManager.ForceInstallVpnServer(VpnServerConfiguration configuration, Idn fqdn)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteAccess.RemoteAccessDeploymentManager.SetupVpnServer(Boolean force, VpnServerDeploymentStatus expectedStatus)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteAccess.RemoteAccessDeploymentManager.InstallVpnServer(Boolean autoDetect, Boolean force)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Tasks.EnableRemoteAccessTask.Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.TaskManagement.IAssemblyTask.Run(ITaskDataLink dataLink)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.TaskManagement.Data.Task.Run(ITaskDataLink dataLink)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.TaskManagement.TaskScheduler.RunTasks(String taskListId, String stateFileName)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Has anyone else seen this problem?

The problem appears to be in the setup Wizard.  What is it doing?  What could be causing it to fail?

Could it be the SSL certificate (although SSL access to RWA is fine)?

Is it a domain name issue (the local domain on my Essentials server) is different to the domain used as part of the URL?

What else can I do to try and investigate further?

How do I escalate this as, it's simply "not working" ?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Can you post up the entire log file please?

Did you also enable direct access along the way?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you.

When I try and enable 'direct access', the add roles and features wizard throws an error as follows:

The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed. Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. The references assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701

It was trying to install the following

RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK)

Remote Server Administration Tools

Role Administration Tools

Remote Access Management Tools

Remote Access GUI and Command-Line Tools

The last time I tried this, it seemed to stop RWA and RDC working, and I had to do a complete restore from backup to restore.

I will check the server now and restore if necessary.  I'll then try to configure VPN again and attach the log file.

Thanks

Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:03 PM
  • And this is the bottom of the log file ... It's the Dashboard log.

[10508] 130615.140846.3669: StorageOM: Drive - Notifying property change: UsedSpace
    [2920] 130615.140907.2869: OPEUserListProviderAdorner: OPE is not enabled. no need to refresh.
    [2920] 130615.140907.2869: OIMUserListAdorner: O365 is not enabled. no need to refresh.
    [2920] 130615.140920.9737: DomainManagerObjectModel: Calling KeepAlive for instanceID=1
    [2920] 130615.140920.9737: DomainManagerObjectModel: KeepAlive succeeded for instanceID=1
    [10104] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: NdfDiagnoseIncident returns 0x80070102,
    [10104] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: Exception from Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.DiagnosticsException: NdfDiagnoseIncident fails ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob.DetectDoubleNat(TimeSpan timeout)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob.OnRun(DiagnosticsResult result, ConnectivityEnvironment environment)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.DiagnosticsJob.RunAndCatch(DiagnosticsResult result, ConnectivityEnvironment environment)
    [7048] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: Job finish. Result: Error
    [10508] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: Job DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob complete, 100% done.
    [7048] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob failed. Error details: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.DiagnosticsException: NdfDiagnoseIncident fails ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob.DetectDoubleNat(TimeSpan timeout)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob.OnRun(DiagnosticsResult result, ConnectivityEnvironment environment)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.DiagnosticsJob.RunAndCatch(DiagnosticsResult result, ConnectivityEnvironment environment)
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.FirewallConfigurationAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.TsGatewayConfigurationAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.IisConfigurationAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DoubleNatConfigurationAnalyzer skipped because Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob as a dependency is not run
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.InboundConnectivityAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.InternetConnectivityAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.CertificateAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: RemoteAccessAnalyzer: VPN server deployment result: InstallationFailed
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.RemoteAccessAnalyzer analyze completed. 1 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainNameConfigAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainNameProviderCredentialsAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainNameResolveableAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainServiceReachableAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainNameExpireAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DomainNameNearlyExpireAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Analyzers.DDNSUpdateAnalyzer analyze completed. 0 suggestions found.
    [10212] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Current SQM Data is 1048575.
    [10508] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Diagnositcs completed. Status: Success
    [10508] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Suggestion: To configure VPN again, click Retry.
    [10508] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Overall status: Error
    [10508] 130615.140925.6496: ConnectivityCenter: Properties updated.
    [10508] 130615.140925.6496: RAMSettingsTab: connectivityCenter_DiagnoseCompleted
    [7048] 130615.140933.4798: DomainManagerObjectModel: Calling KeepAlive for instanceID=2
    [7048] 130615.140933.4798: DomainManagerObjectModel: KeepAlive succeeded for instanceID=2
    [10104] 130615.140937.8320: OPEUserListProviderAdorner: OPE is not enabled. no need to refresh.
    [10104] 130615.140937.8320: OIMUserListAdorner: O365 is not enabled. no need to refresh.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Does the error whilst installing 'direct access' indicative of an bad install of Essentials?   It was pre-loaded by Dell.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:07 PM
  • I had touble with many of my network services, the network connection indicated no internet access. Yet I was able to ping yahoo.com and google.com My problem resulted from going from having a dynamic ip, to assigning a static ip. I suggest you take a good look at your DNS setting, I have a feeling that is where the problem is originating. Tomorrow I will take a look at my server and post in more detail all the steps that I took to resolve the problems I was having.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:47 AM
  • What i have found with the Anywhere Access wizard, is the first time you run it to enable VPN it has to install the RRAS Role, which requires a reboot. This causes the first failure.

If you reboot, then re run the wizard to enable VPN in my experience it works perfectly.

On Essentials VPN is an SSTP VPN by default, so port 443, not 1723 (PPTP)

Port 3389, 987 and 25 are also not required for Essentials.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:49 AM
  • I had not seen a lot of the above before i posted as it was showing as an 'no response' thread.

So given that it sounds like you have rebooted between attempts, and that RRAS is failing to install..

You would probably want to check out the logs.

SharedServiceHost-

RemoteConnectionManagementServiceConfig.log

RemoteAccessadminProviderServiceConfig.log

I just ran the wizard to disable VPN, and funnily enough.. it said Failed to Configure VPN.

So i am now in the same boat.. will let you know how i get on.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:49 AM
  • OK, so here is what i did to fix it.

Go into Administrative Tools and fine 'Remote Access Management Console'

When this opened i had an error relating to configuration settings, with the option to reload, or remove them.

I chose remove.

Then i went to the Essentials Dashboard, and re ran the wizard to enable VPN and it worked perfectly.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Hi, thanks for replying.

I've checked the Administrative Tools but 'Remote Access Management Console' does not appear.  So, I went in to the Server Manager, Manage option and tried to install RRAS etc. again (third time).  This fails with a "Reference Assembly Could not be found" error.

I've tried the wizard and it is still reporting "VPN not configured successfully", but then nothing has changed.

So it looks like my Essentials install (by Dell) is incomplete perhaps?

Now the logs ...

SharedServiceHost-RemoteConnectionManagementServiceConfig.log -- This is a snippet from the bottom which, does not really tell me anything!

[4908] 130620.203832.9504: PfBinding: Information: [0] : Assigning certificate to X509CertificateInitiatorClientCredential.
    [4908] 130620.203832.9504: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : factory impersonation level is: [Identification]
    [4988] 130620.203833.0129: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Received connection
    [3764] 130620.203833.0129: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Received connection
    [4988] 130620.203833.0129: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Successfully connected for Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Users.IUserManagementProvider
    [3764] 130620.203833.0129: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Successfully connected for Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.SqmProvider.Services.ISqmProviderService
    [4988] 130620.203833.0286: IDENTITY: Connection made
    [4908] 130620.203833.0911: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Received connection
    [4908] 130620.203833.0911: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Successfully connected for Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Settings.ISettingsProviderContract
    [4764] 130620.203838.8726: RemoteAccess: PS > Add-WindowsFeature -Name System.String[];
    [4764] 130620.203914.2598: RemoteAccess: PS RESULTS:
    Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.FeatureOperationResult

[4764] 130620.203915.8740: RemoteAccess: PS > RemoteAccess\Get-RemoteAccess;
    [4764] 130620.203916.8292: RemoteAccess: PS RESULTS:
    RemoteAccessCommon

[1780] 130620.204810.9614: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The read operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

RemoteAccessadminProviderServiceConfig.log -- Again another snippet from the bottom

[4628] 130620.203831.4347: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Identifier: [Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ProviderFramework.LocalNotificationProvider]
    [4628] 130620.203831.4347: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderEndpointBehavior.AllowedConnectionType: [AllowLocalAccessOnly]
    [4628] 130620.203831.4347: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderEndpointBehavior.EndpointCredentialType: [User]
    [4628] 130620.203831.4347: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : RequiredImpersonationLevel: [Identification]
    [4628] 130620.203831.4504: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : factory impersonation level is: [Identification]
    [4628] 130620.203831.4816: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Received connection
    [4628] 130620.203831.4816: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderConnector: Successfully connected for Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Internal.INotificationProviderService
    [4628] 130620.203831.4816: Notifications: Information: [0] : NPCx02: Initiating connection to upstream service.
    [4688] 130620.203831.4816: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : _OnConnected called.
    [4612] 130620.203831.4816: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ConnectAsync was able to connect synchronously to the provider registry.
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Creating service/proxy endpoint for Contract [IRDAccessManager], binding = [CustomBinding], EndpointAddress = [net.tcp://127.0.0.1:65532/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager], AllowedConnectionType = [AllowLocalAccessOnly], EndpointCredentialType = [Machine]
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : AddServiceEndpoint type=[IRDAccessManager], binding=[System.ServiceModel.Channels.CustomBinding], address=[net.tcp://127.0.0.1:65532/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager]
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : _ConfigureServiceHostDefaults()
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Opening servicehost
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Registering providers to PRS.
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Registering Contract=[Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager], Address=[net.tcp://127.0.0.1:65532/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteDesktop.IRDAccessManager], EndpointBehavior=[AllowLocalAccessOnly, Machine], impersonation=[Identification]
    [4612] 130620.203831.4972: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : OnStart: service "RAAdminProviderSvc" ProviderServiceBase.OnStart finished. (ExitCode 0)
    [4676] 130620.203831.5754: Notifications: Information: [0] : NPCx02: Remote node requested connect. (WCF-to-Provider-GADSHILL:SharedServiceHost.exe:p4392:mt12:1)
    [4676] 130620.203831.5754: Notifications: Information: [0] : Assigning name "RNx04" to node with self-designated name "WCF-to-Provider-GADSHILL:SharedServiceHost.exe:p4392:mt12:1".
    [4676] 130620.203831.5754: Notifications: Information: [0] : LNx01: Neighbor "RNx04" wants to Connect, and is interested in categories: "".
    [4676] 130620.203831.5754: Notifications: Information: [0] : LNx01: We will tell neighbor RNx04 that we are interested in the following categories: "IDENTITY.USER".
    [4676] 130620.203831.5910: Notifications: Information: [0] : NPCx02: We were the initiator, so not returning the Connect().
    [5164] 130620.204810.8988: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The read operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [5164] 130620.204810.8988: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationObjectFaultedException) The communication object, Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Internal.KeepaliveSessionDuplexChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Someone suggested looking at my DNS settings too.  So, just in case..

IPv4 is enabled

Fixed IP address and mask of 255.255.255.0

Gateway is the managed gateway switch that connects to our fibre Internet connection.  Ports 443 and 80 are forwarded correctly on this gateway and it is the DHCP (the server is not serving IP addresses)

DNS is set to the gateway IP addresss.  Alternate DNS is 8.8.8.8 (google DNS server)

So ... sorry about this but any other suggestions?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Should I try repairing the Essentials installation. Will I be able tin install RRAS etc? I don't want to reinstall because of all the patches and the RAID stuff that Dell added inthe factory.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 5:06 PM
  • there is no 'repair' Only restore from backup.

Can you go into PowerShell and run:

Get-WindowsFeature *Remote*

And post the result.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:53 AM
  • also where is that DNS Setting set?

the NIC of the essentials server, should only point to itself for DNS.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

This is the output from the powershell command

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\tdavisadmin> Get-WindowsFeature *Remote*

Display Name                                            Name                       Install State
    ------------                                            ----                       -------------
    [ ] Remote Access                                       RemoteAccess                   Available
    [X] Remote Desktop Services                             Remote-Desktop-Services        Installed
    [ ] Remote Assistance                                   Remote-Assistance              Available
                [ ] BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools        RSAT-Feature-Tools-B...        Available
            [X] Remote Access Management Tools              RSAT-RemoteAccess              Installed
                [ ] Remote Access GUI and Command-Line T... RSAT-RemoteAccess-Mgmt         Available
                [X] Remote Access module for Windows Pow... RSAT-RemoteAccess-Po...        Installed

But ... The DNS is NOT pointing to itself. I'm about to try changing that right now!!

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:51 PM
  • I've  just tried changing the DNS on the WS2012E to it's own lan IP address but that hasn't helped either.  Still fails to configure VPN
    Monday, June 24, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Not sure if you have solve the problem yet, if not you can try configuring Anywhere Access from start over again:

1 Unconfigure RWA

2 Release Domain

3 Restart Computer

4 Configure Domain and VPN+RWA

Regards

• Edited by Finfou Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:13 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't fixed the problem yet.  I will try doing this in the next day or so and will let you know ASAP.

Many thanks

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

I tried removing and re-configuring RWA at the weekend but this didn't fix the problem.

Had a search through the dashboard to see if there was a way to remove and re-configure the domain, as suggested, but could not find a simple way of doing it. I'm loathed to go into the server manager as, this domain is now in use and we have users on the system.  So I need to be careful about changes.

Is/was there an easy 'safe' way of doing this?  Is it likely to solve the problem?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Tim,

Release domain is not mandatory, normally:

1 Unconfigure RWA

2 Restart Computer

3 Configure RWA and VPN will success

What have you tried? And how did you configure domain on server, from server manager? or Dashboard->Settings->Anywhere Access->Configure? There is also release domain option there.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Can you use Server Manager to install the Remote Access Role.

If it errors out let us know the error.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

I've have tried installing the Remote Access role previously as follows:

But this installation fails with an error of "The references assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701".   I've tried it a couple of times now and the problem is readily reproduceable.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

I've have tried installing the Remote Access role previously as follows:

But this installation fails with an error of "The references assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701".   I've tried it a couple of times now and the problem is readily reproduceable.

I Googled that error and got just one other search result.

Funnily enough, it was also a Dell server and the error occurred when they were trying to add a server role on Windows Server 2012 Standard:

"The Request to add or remove features on the specified server failed. Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. The referenced assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701."

There was no final resolution posted in that thread (on Experts Exchange) but they speculated that performing a "repair install" of the operating system may fix it.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Q_28053232.html

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Funnily enough, it was also a Dell server and the error occurred when they were trying to add a server role on Windows Server 2012 Standard:

"The Request to add or remove features on the specified server failed. Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. The referenced assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701."

There was no final resolution posted in that thread (on Experts Exchange) but they speculated that performing a "repair install" of the operating system may fix it.

Thats what I suspected but hoped would NOT be the case!!

I tried the 'Essentials' disk last week, going into the installation program looking for a repair option but could nto find anything.  Just a cmoplete re-install.

I'm really loathed to re-install.  In fact, I'm not sure I will be able to as the server is now in use and I won't be able to take it all off and rebuild from scratch.

Don't suppose you have any other ideas?

To be honest I'm pretty annoyed. Essentials is supposed to be for the more novice user.  And this experience jsut goes to prove that this is simply not the case

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Same exact problem as all of above.  i'm another waiting on a work around.

Raymond Rocha

Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Can one of you guys email me at sbradcpa-at-msmvps.com so I can set up a support case as there won't be a workaround until we figure out what is breaking.

There's something going on that we're not getting to the bottom of in this forum.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:49 AM
  • The Remote cacess role is already installed on Essentials.

There's no need to install this.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:50 AM
  • not sure if I read it in this thread or one of the many others on this topic.

My Intel server board has two NIC cards.  i'm only using one.

I went to network/adapater settings and 'disable' the unused NIC.

I re-ran anywhere setup or did a repair, not sure.

and VPN is working now.

Raymond Rocha

Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:27 AM
  • Hmm..  I've actually got three network ports on my server.  But definitely have two of the ports disabled, and the third one is enabled.  Still not working though

tim

Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:11 PM
  • I've raised this problem as an issue with Dell, as it seems like they may have packaged the software wrongly for installation.

They are telling me that 2012 Essentials does not support RDS if it's a domain controller!  What ??

tim

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Yes.  Essentials doesn't support RDS sessions other than the two for admin work only.  If you need to have more hosted desktops you need a member server.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:27 PM
  • RDS role and the DC role on the same server cannot be done in Server 2012 btw.  Essentials lets you remote desktop into the server as an admin, it never allows you to log in as a user for remote desktop purposes on the server.

So that we're all on the same page here, you have one nic enabled, not two.  No teaming and you've ran the remote access wizard, yes?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi, I tried to add the RDS role, as suggested, to resolve the problem with VPN not configuring. But when I tried to install it keeps throwing an error that there is a missing reference. Maybe this is not supposed to install on essentials but I understand other people have installed the role to resolve their VPN config problems. So am I back where I started again? Anyway, yes I have only 1 NIC enabled. Other two are disabled. And yes I've run the 'essentials' wizard more times than ive had hot dinners too. Microsoft are supposed to be calling me back soon, but not heard from them yet. Difficult to find a time zone that overlaps with my long days in London.

tim

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:24 PM
  • You don't add the RDS role, it's already there.  it won't install because it's already on the box.  They are waiting for you to email back to them with times.  Alternatively call 1-800-Microsoft and list that SRX case number.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Per the case notes "
    Would request you to drop us an email to mssbscb@microsoft.com so that we would re-schedule that call back according to your time zone.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi, I tried to add the RDS role, as suggested, to resolve the problem with VPN not configuring. But when I tried to install it keeps throwing an error that there is a missing reference. Maybe this is not supposed to install on essentials but I understand other people have installed the role to resolve their VPN config problems. So am I back where I started again? Anyway, yes I have only 1 NIC enabled. Other two are disabled. And yes I've run the 'essentials' wizard more times than ive had hot dinners too. Microsoft are supposed to be calling me back soon, but not heard from them yet. Difficult to find a time zone that overlaps with my long days in London.

tim

I think you're confusing the Remote Access role with Remote Desktop Services (RDS).
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:01 PM
  • open your Powershell command prompt as administrator and type: Install-WindowsFeature -name DirectAccess-VPN -IncludeManagementTools

let power shell finish.

at this point you should now have the remote management console installed and you can finish the direct access installation here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204618.aspx#BKMK_EnableDA

cheers!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:03 AM
  • I see you still haven't connected with support at Microsoft.  I know that you are busy, but can you please try?  This will be the best way to get to the root cause as this wizard should just work and should not need any workaround or powershell.  To connect with them just send an email as noted in the communication you've received from them to start the support call.
    • Proposed as answer by fluidguy Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:29 PM
  • I connected with Microsoft support last week but no progress so far.  They seem to be repeating everything I've tried, two or three times at the moment.  The last attempt was to try and instal RAS with the network cable disconnected.  Needless to say, that did not help!

Not sure what happens now though!

tim

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:25 PM
  • It's reinforcing that forum support wouldn't help. 

You need to keep with them so they can understand the root cause and figure out why RRAS can't get installed. 

Don't Retire TechNet

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Agreed but I keep coming back to the fact that 'Essentials is supposed to wkr out-o-f-the-box' and I shouldn;t have to install RAS or anything else.  Microsoft support just seem to be trying the same thing again and again at the mo.

The key error (to me) seems to be this, from the dashboard log file.  

[10104] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: NdfDiagnoseIncident returns 0x80070102,
    [10104] 130615.140925.4152: ConnectivityCenter: Exception from Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.Jobs.DoubleNatDiagnosticsJob: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Connectivity.DiagnosticsException: NdfDiagnoseIncident fails ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out

I think I'll try and dig into this a bit more in the next day or so..  And try and get back online with the support team later.

Thanks

tim

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Exactly it should just work.  Something has happened to break it.  Please let them dig into this so we can learn for others.  Let them do their job.

Detect double nat... what sort of networking to you have?

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Having spent 7+ hours online, across 5 sessions with Microsoft support, and watched them repeat everything I tried previously probably 3-4 times for each one, then I'm wholly unimpressed. One of the things that they wanted me to try last week was to try installing the remote access role with 'the network cable pulled out' in an attempt to fix a missing assembly error!

So three my toys out the pram yesterday and escalated.  Hopefully will have someone who actually knows what they are doing now!

As for network, its pretty simple really.

• 100MB fibre connection from BT
    • Managed router (as part of the business park) that does DHCP, DNS NAT etc.
    • Ports 80 & 443 routed to my server ... but I've included 3389 and a few others too. Does not support upnp
    • Fixed ip addresses for server and all devices on the network, which is gigabit
    • There are two domain servers .. one is an old W2K3 SBS which will be decommissioned. The other is the new 2012 Essentials.  Domain names are different (obviously). Neither are DHCP servers
    • There is no wifi router etc. so should not have DoubleNat scenario
    • There is a second subnet which is used for our Voip which is PC based. That has it's own external IP address

tim

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:38 AM
  •  One of the things that they wanted me to try last week was to try installing the remote access role with 'the network cable pulled out' in an attempt to fix a missing assembly error!

Believe it or not, there used to be an issue where you couldnt install the DHCP role with a network card connected, so there suggestion isnt as stupid as it seems.
    Monday, August 5, 2013 9:32 AM
  • I escalated this issue with Microsoft last week, and have been promised someone who knows what they are doing ... so I don't have to watch them doing the same thing again and again and again.

And I sent them Perfmon logs last week 31 July too.  But it looks like they have lost them and we're back on the old treadmill of ... try configure and watch it fail.  Remove domain and reconfigure and watch it fail. Try installing the remote access role and watch it fail.  Oh boy :(

I asked about that Duplicate NAT warning 4 times now.  I'm ignored everytime.

I've spent 30 years in computing, 15 in support.  This is pretty poor you know ...

I was going to be buying a second Essentials server later this month.  Its all put on hold now

tim

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:38 PM
  • I ask that you hold on a little longer as I ask for better help from my side.  I still want to figure out the root cause of this.  I thank you for your patience thus far.

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Can you email me the following logs at techlibrary at Hotmail.com

Dism.log at
    C:\Windows\Logs\DISM

cbs.log and cbspresist.log at
    C:\windows\logs\CBS

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck with this?  I installed WSE 2012 a month ago and have been hitting this same error every single time, same as Tim in that I can use RWA.  But getting the same error of:

VPN was not configured successfully
    To configure VPN again, click Retry.

Really would like to finally get this working...

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:04 PM
  • If you are truly having the same error as Tim, it's system corruption in the OS that isn't allowing the VPN role to install properly.  I would strongly recommend you call support at 1-800-Microsoft and have them help you to determine if it's exactly the same error as Tim.

Don't Retire TechNet

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I  use a Dell t110 II, and have installed Windows 2012 essentials twice, both times the Setup Anywhere Access fails.

I cant help thinking is it dell hw, or has they fiddled with the os image somehow? Why have several dell users a problem?

I get three errors now:

There may be more than one router on your network -No there are just one.
    Anywhere Access to your server is blocked - No it is not, the router has opened the 80 and 443
    VPN was not configured successfully - Im not sure..

I can connect to the remotewebaccess.com page no problem, I can connect to the remotewebaccess.com/connect page no problem.

I can download the client but it fails joining the domain.

Is this relevant? Looking in SharedServiceHost-DomainManagerServiceConfig.log

[10356] 131107.233214.4704: DomainManager:Service: GetDynamicDNSInfo called
    [5764] 131107.233214.4704: DomainManager:Service: QueryAddressFromDNS called
    [10356] 131107.233214.5329: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The read operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [10356] 131107.233214.6423: DomainManager:Service: IDomainMaintenanceManager.ValidateActiveProviderCredentials called
    [10356] 131107.233214.6423: DomainManager:WindowsLiveProvider: GetDynDnsRpsConfigs called
    [5764] 131107.233214.6579: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The read operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [10356] 131107.233215.9393: DomainManager:WindowsLiveProvider: GetDynDnsRpsConfigs result: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.RemoteAccess.Domains.DynDnsRpsConfigs
    [10356] 131107.233215.9393: IDCRL: Initialize called for version:1, proxy:
    [10356] 131107.233219.1584: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The read operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Brgs Göran

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:47 PM
  • TimJDavis, Can you perhaps give some info if you managed to make it in the end? /Göran
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:10 PM
  • When last I checked on Tim's status it was file corruption that was causing the vpn code to fail.  I would recommend opening up a case with Microsoft as you won't be able to fix this on your own.

Unfortunately TechNet isn't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Apologies for not replying sooner, just really busy at the moment.

I spent about 10 weeks working with Microsoft trying to get VPN configured. About 6-7 weeks watching technicians doing the same 'configuration' steps again and again.  Finally threw my toys out of the pram and it was escalated.

However, even after this was escalated, I just ran out of time.  The server had to be commissioned 'as it was', even without VPN, and is now being used 16-18 hours for a financial company.  And I'm not in a position to try some of the big update changes that Microsoft wanted me to try (basically various commands that would have attempted to install a lot of missing components in the server build).

However, I've just bought another Essentials server from Dell (gluten for punishment).  I'll be testing this for VPN in about 1 weeks time.  My money says that this will have exactly the same problem.

I did raise a case with Dell by the way.  They wanted to know how testing was progressing but refused to accept it was their fault, and would not lend me another server to continue testing either.

The moral is ... don't try and use VPN with Essentials !!

tim

• Proposed as answer by Paulie' Friday, August 29, 2014 11:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paulie' Friday, August 29, 2014 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I realise that this is now quite an old thread, but I have been having the exact same issue as described here for the past few days. After burning quite a few hours trying to come up with the answer I have finally got it working on my system.

I've written the solution up on my blog and I would be really interested to know if the same solution works for anyone else having the same issue. It turned out to be a simple group policy tweak that fixed the installation/setup of the VPN in Essentials.

How to fix "VPN was not configured" in Windows Server Essentials Experience

Best of luck!

• Proposed as answer by Adam-RegisIT Monday, September 29, 2014 7:26 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Very nice spot Paulie' - Logon as a Service issue was what was causing it in our case.

Adam@Regis IT

Monday, September 29, 2014 7:27 PM