none
Autodesk Design Review 2011 / DWG Trueview 2011

General discussion

• Autodesk Design Review 2011 / DWG Trueview 2011

Well, as these two sofwares always does stuff in an interesting way I was glad to see that two new versions came out.

So - from the start I downloaded the installer for Autodesk Design Review 2011 and made the choice that DWG Trueview should be included in the installation.

Now - considering the size of the installer it was pretty obvious that things were going to be downloaded once I fired it up.
    When starting sequencing I noticed that Akamei installed a background installer, one service to remove, and placed the actual installation-files somewhere in PROGRAM FILES/Common Files

Extracting those gave me;
    Design Review 2011 MSI
    ZIP-file with DWG Trueview 2011
    Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
    Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable
    DirectX

Basically Design Review 2011 worked fine when performing an unaltered installation, however you could probably clean up the temporary-folders used when downloading the media.
    Also, Akamei installs a service which can be removed - but considering this it might be a good idea to simply use the above downloaded MSI.

Of course the prerequisites should be deployed natively...

Now, DWG Trueview always offers a challenge.....
    That didn't start OK at all - so I decided to use the above extracted files to try to create a new package.
    From previous versions - I know that remove the exlcusions of Local Settings (sequencing on XP) has made some progress.
    Reviewing a PROCMON log of the failed startup also showed me that this knowledge could be applicable with this version

To capture needed folders I needed to remove exclusions for %USERSPROFILE%\Local settings (again, in the XP-environment) and %USERSPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application data

DWG Trueview and Design Review can be combined into a single package - but to get DWG Trueview working the above exclusions needs to be removed.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:18 PM

All replies

• Succesfully sequenced with App-V 4.6.0.1523 on Windows 7 Enterprise removing from Exclusion Items list:

%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%
    %CSIDL_PROFILE%\Local Settings
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I successfully (so far at least) sequenced on the same platform without removing those exclusions. Can anyone shed some light on why to include local appdata?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hello,

Previously I had errors when starting the application and the windows installer start-up a self-healing when not including those sections.

Trueview seems to maintain something in those specific paths that is vital for its purpose...

/Znack
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:07 PM