none
SPSS 19, Help files will not load

Question

• Hello, has anyone had any success sequencing SPSS 19? I've managed to sequence the software but I cannot get the help files to load once sequenced, I get an error message Error starting help system.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:07 PM

Answers

• I encountered this issue everytime I would click anything underneath Help. "'Error- Error opening help system'" I ran repair. No change. I ended up giving full access to the file permissions on the SPSS folder and voila. I could now open the Help with out recieving 'Error- Error opening help system'
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have the same problem if you install the application natively? 
    /Znack
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I encountered this issue everytime I would click anything underneath Help. "'Error- Error opening help system'" I ran repair. No change. I ended up giving full access to the file permissions on the SPSS folder and voila. I could now open the Help with out recieving 'Error- Error opening help system'
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Maybe I am missing something, but why would you have to give permissions when the app is an app-v app?  It already has full permissions.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:19 PM
  • I am having the same issue, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you did exactly as far as granting full access to the file permissions on the SPSS folder?

During the monitoring phase of sequencing, I navigated to the SPSS folder that I had created during my installation of SPSS 19, right-clicked it, went to properties, and then to the Security tab.  From there, I went in for each group and user name, clicked "Edit" and checked off the box for "Allow Full Control".  However, after completing my sequence and deploying it to my users, they still are unable to launch the help system. 

Normally I uncheck the box for "Enforce Security Descriptors", but I thought perhaps that was stopping these file permissions from being put in place on the client system, so I created a new package, granted full access to the SPSS folder under C:\Program Files\IBM, left "Enforce Security Descriptors" turned on, and then deployed to my clients.  Unfortunately, I still get the same "Error starting help system" message.

Do you mean that you granted full access to the file permissions on the SPSS folder in the Q: drive on the client system? Again, I apologize for the confusion, but any guidance you could provide me as to your method of correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:33 PM
  • That shouldn't make a difference when Security Descripters are off like RorySRut is writing.

I'll spare the details but to get the help working it seems you need to delete the Eclipse folder from the CSIDL_AppData on the Virtual File System tab.

Make sure remove the application cache if you update a package.

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:06 PM
  • I'm  receiving the same error with my sequence however I don't have the eclipse folder to delete.  Any other suggestions?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:57 PM