none
App-v 4.6 MSI deployment

Question

• This has also been posted (erroneously) in the server section.

I am using App-V 4.6 (the actual released versions, not the RC) to sequence applications into an MSI package, which I will then run on my workstations (probably using Novell ZENworks, or possibly just a link to a file share). I have followed the instructions in the "Microsoft application virtualization 4.5 standalone trial guide ".

After sequencing, if I copy the MSI, SFT and everthing else to any location on the C: drive on the workstation where it is to be installed, and run the MSI, everything works fine. The virtual application installs and runs as expected.

If I try to run the application from a file share e.g. L:\appv\application, then a few seconds after running the MSI, I receive the error message "The system cannot find the file specified 4605F3-14200C2A-00000003". The app-v error log (set to verbose) reads "The application virtualization client could not connect to stream URL File://L:\\app-v\application.sft".

The MSI, SFT and all other files are present on the L: drive share, identical to the copy I have made on the local C: drive (from which the install works OK). I have also tried running the MSI from the command line and specifiying the location of the SFT file. I have also tried re-sequencing the application and telling it to use file share path rather than RTSP path. I still get the same error no matter what I do.

The workstation is using Novell client to connect to the L: drive, so I was wondering if there was some sort of issue between App-V client and Novell client? Also, I thought that maybe the command line options for running the MSI and specifying the SFT location might be fussy about the syntax, and maybe I'm not specifying it correctly? I have read conflicting information as to the correct settings for app-v client in this mode i.e. allowindependentstreaming, network/online,  etc - if someone could confirm the correct settings this would be helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:33 AM

Answers

• Have you attempted from a UNC path rather than a driver letter? It could be that because the drive is mapped in the users' context it will not be available to the App-V service - a UNC path should be available to both.

To make testing simpler, you can import a package with the SFTMIME command, e.g:

SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE:"Microsoft_Office_2010_x64" /MANIFEST "\\\VBOXSVR\Packages\MicrosoftOffice\Microsoft_Office_2010_x64_manifest.xml" /OVERRIDEURL "\\\VBOXSVR\Packages\Microsoft Office\Microsoft_Office_2010_x64.sft" /CONSOLE
    The OVERRIDEURL switch is important for specifiying where the SFT will be streamed from - no need to modify the OSD file.
    • Proposed as answer by znackMVP Monday, March 01, 2010 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Johnstone Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:48 PM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• Have you attempted from a UNC path rather than a driver letter? It could be that because the drive is mapped in the users' context it will not be available to the App-V service - a UNC path should be available to both.

To make testing simpler, you can import a package with the SFTMIME command, e.g:

SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE:"Microsoft_Office_2010_x64" /MANIFEST "\\\VBOXSVR\Packages\MicrosoftOffice\Microsoft_Office_2010_x64_manifest.xml" /OVERRIDEURL "\\\VBOXSVR\Packages\Microsoft Office\Microsoft_Office_2010_x64.sft" /CONSOLE
    The OVERRIDEURL switch is important for specifiying where the SFT will be streamed from - no need to modify the OSD file.
    • Proposed as answer by znackMVP Monday, March 01, 2010 2:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Johnstone Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:48 PM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Using the SFTMIME command you suggested works fine, so you have effectively solved my problem, even though it is a workaround rather than a fix.

Regarding my attempts to run the MSI from the file share, I did some more searching. If you look at the following URL:

http://appvirtguru.com/viewtopic.php?p=12199&sid=97cd5e9419993af635102607923e8914

and then look at the comments, the last comment is:

by kirk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 am
    Are you trying to "install" the app from a remote share? If so, that doesn't work: you have to copy the MSI and the SFT locally to the client (into the same folder) and launch the MSI locally.
    Basically, the App-V client uses the SYSTEM account when trying to access the SFT - and if that's on a network share, access will be denied
    Falko

This person suggests that what I am trying to do is impossible i.e. I need to copy the MSI, SFT etc to a local drive first and then run it. If that's the case I guess I either use SFTMIME as you suggested, or use NOvell ZENWorks to copy the MSI/SFT first before running the MSI.

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:48 PM