none
SQL 2005 Management Tools

Question

• I know this didn't sequence with earlier releases of SoftGrid but just wondering if anyone knows if it works now that App-V 4.5 is released?

Anthony

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:19 PM

Answers

• I just resequenced the SQL 2005 tools these are the steps I used.
    My Sequencer Machine
    Microsoft VM, 2 drives, 10 GB each.  1024 MB memory with .NET 1.0 SP3 through .NET 3.5
    SQL 2005 Tools Requires .NET 2.0 make sure that is on your machine before installing and sequencing.
    Received Performance Counter Error on Sequencer machine
    modified registry keys (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143215.aspx)
    COPY SQL2005 SP2 TO Q:
    Create SQL2005.S01 DIRECTORY ON Q:
    Create SQL2005 SUBDIRECTORY IN Q:\SQL2005.S01
    Attached SQL2005STDX86.ISO TO VM
    Starting MONITORING PROCESS
    PLACE NAME AND COMMENTS
    Block Size 32KB
    CHECK "SHOW ADVANCED MONITORING OPTIONS"
    CHECK "ALLOW MICROSOFT UPDATES TO RUN DURING MONITORING".
    Start monitoring
    Run SQL Server 2005 setup from ISO
    select Server components, tool, books online, and samples on setup screen
    install pre-req's 
    click Next
    Next
    IIS Feature Requirement will give you a warning, but click next to continue. (only needed for Reporting)
    Fill out Registration info
    Check Workstation Components, Books Online and development tools
    Click advanced
    Click Client Components
    Click Browse, installation path Q:\SQL2005.S01\SQL2005
    Next
    Next
    Install
    next
    finish
    Install Sql 2005 SP2
    Check I accept agreement
    next
    select all boxes
    next
    next
    install
    next
    next
    finish
    run windows update
    install visual studio service pack only (SQL 2005 SP3 is out but our sql servers are not at SP3 yet)
    Stop sequencing
    finish app sequencing as needed shortcuts etc
    Under the deployment tab fill out required information needed and Uncheck "enforce security descriptors" in the deployment tab
    make sure that the client pc that is recieving the streamed version has .net 2.0 installed (required for SQL 2005 tools)

As Always Substitute "Q" for your drive letter. 

The folder size once complete will around 2.29 GB uncompressed.
    Brian
    • Marked as answer by Anthony Yates Friday, February 27, 2009 4:51 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:20 PM

All replies

• I have sequenced the tools fine...

The important step is that you need to modify some registry settings on your sequencing machine before monitoring...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Perlib\

Keys: Last Counter= 5276 (decimal)

Last Help= 5277 (decimal)

And..

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Perlib\009

Keys: Counter= Add at the end 5276

Help= Add at the end 5277

Reboot the sequencer machine and check the keys to make sure the values are applied.  During the pre-req check, IIS throw a warning which is ok.

When you stream the tools to a workstation, on the first launch it will give a warning that you need to create a file.  At the moment I cannot remember what it is, but just click "Ok" or "Yes" and the tools will work fine until you clear the cache. 

Hope this helps...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Attempting to edit Perflib\009 Counter and Help values returns the following error: "Cannot edit Counter: Error writing the value's new contents"  Thoughts?  Thank you.

Greg
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Are you donig this before you start to monitoring process?  You need to do this and reboot before you start to monitor the package.
    you need to add this to the end of the existing keys.
    Brian B
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Would be great to see a How-To on this topic.  I've tried sequencing the tools once but without much success.  As you have successfully done this, I'm sure it can be done and must be something I'm overlooking.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I had a student sequence this in our App-V class last week.  He had a problem with the info from this post in that he did not understand that you needed to append when doing the 009 part.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:10 PM
  • When was first trying to sequence the 2005 tools, i had a performance counter error.
    Here was the fix to the performance error counter
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143215.aspx

Before sequencing, I made the modifications to the performance counter registry mentioned in the article, rebooted, and started sequencing the SQL 2005 tools. During the monitoring process I did apply SP2 as well.

Let me find my notes on this and I will post them.
    Brian
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:08 PM
  • I just resequenced the SQL 2005 tools these are the steps I used.
    My Sequencer Machine
    Microsoft VM, 2 drives, 10 GB each.  1024 MB memory with .NET 1.0 SP3 through .NET 3.5
    SQL 2005 Tools Requires .NET 2.0 make sure that is on your machine before installing and sequencing.
    Received Performance Counter Error on Sequencer machine
    modified registry keys (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143215.aspx)
    COPY SQL2005 SP2 TO Q:
    Create SQL2005.S01 DIRECTORY ON Q:
    Create SQL2005 SUBDIRECTORY IN Q:\SQL2005.S01
    Attached SQL2005STDX86.ISO TO VM
    Starting MONITORING PROCESS
    PLACE NAME AND COMMENTS
    Block Size 32KB
    CHECK "SHOW ADVANCED MONITORING OPTIONS"
    CHECK "ALLOW MICROSOFT UPDATES TO RUN DURING MONITORING".
    Start monitoring
    Run SQL Server 2005 setup from ISO
    select Server components, tool, books online, and samples on setup screen
    install pre-req's 
    click Next
    Next
    IIS Feature Requirement will give you a warning, but click next to continue. (only needed for Reporting)
    Fill out Registration info
    Check Workstation Components, Books Online and development tools
    Click advanced
    Click Client Components
    Click Browse, installation path Q:\SQL2005.S01\SQL2005
    Next
    Next
    Install
    next
    finish
    Install Sql 2005 SP2
    Check I accept agreement
    next
    select all boxes
    next
    next
    install
    next
    next
    finish
    run windows update
    install visual studio service pack only (SQL 2005 SP3 is out but our sql servers are not at SP3 yet)
    Stop sequencing
    finish app sequencing as needed shortcuts etc
    Under the deployment tab fill out required information needed and Uncheck "enforce security descriptors" in the deployment tab
    make sure that the client pc that is recieving the streamed version has .net 2.0 installed (required for SQL 2005 tools)

As Always Substitute "Q" for your drive letter. 

The folder size once complete will around 2.29 GB uncompressed.
    Brian
    • Marked as answer by Anthony Yates Friday, February 27, 2009 4:51 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Thanks Brian, that worked perfectly!

We've only just got round to upgrading to App-V 4.5 so sorry for the late update.

Just curious though. How did modifying the perf counters come about? Is it specific to sequencing SQL 2005 Tools or would it apply to some other applications as well?

Regards,

Anthony

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:56 PM
  • I ran across the counter error when I first started sequencing the 2005 tools.  So I started over just installing the tools without monitoring and got the same error.  So I just did a little research and ran across the "fix".  Glad it worked out for you!

Brian
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:47 AM
  • One other question, did anyone find that when they installed Visual Studio SP1 that it crashed/locked the sequencer?

I got the Management Tools working fine with out it. The only difference to Brian's steps is that I downloaded the Visual Studio Service Pack first because of it's large size and installed it that way rather than through Windows Update. But don't see how that would make a difference.

Anthony

Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:15 PM
  • I tried this , While on sequencing I am able to launch all applications successfully without any error.
    But, After sequencing when I am trying to open the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio on clients,  I am getting an error message:  "Invalid license data. Reinstall is required" and the application shuts down.

I tried 944478 and 945347 hotfixes.

please  suggest me a solution for this error

Thanks. 

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Hello,

Since that application is part of a different set of applications and you have a different problem than the poster described, I would suggest creating your own thread.

/Znack
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:45 AM