none
Sequencing ArcGis Desktop 9

Question

• Hello

I'm trying to sequence ArcGis Desktop..

Which is no problem until "Configure Applications" (5 of 7), where I normally configure the available links and there locations.
    But now, the message "Loading, please wait..." won't disappear... and therefor, I can't continue..

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
    Christian
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Christian,

I'm in the process of trying to sequence ArcGIS as well. I found that I needed quite a beefy sequencer to get it to finish all the way. I'm running it on a virtual machine with 4Gb memory. Single 3GHz core is ok, dual core is better.

For me, sequencing does finish, and applications start up. Within the sequencing process, everything appears ok, including opening maps and generating graphs. But once streamed down to a client, I'm getting problems deeper down in ArcMAP. When you try to generate a graph of quantities, and try to classify, it comes back with an 'Failed to Open Graphics Server' error. Most bizarre - I haven't gotten to the bottom of that one yet.

Another thing, make sure you use version 4.5CU1 - that has got a patch in for ArcGIS to get it to run.

Best wishes,

Rolf.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by baloo12 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hi Karen,

It took me a while, but I did manage to find a solution. The key was in the 'Graphics Server'. For ArcGIS does use a graphics server to display its graphs. This server is called gsw32.exe and normally lives in c:\windows\system32. On a normal (non-virtual) installation, the graphics server gets started whenever graphs are requested. Within AppV, ArcGIS cannot find gsw32.exe, and fails.

So here's my workaround.
    • Start your sequencer, and do a normal ArcGIS installation. Install to the Q: drive and after the installation finishes, fire up a few of the apps (ArcMAP, ArcScene, etc.)  and register the software. But do NOT fire up the graphics server.
    • When you're done installing, stop monitoring.
    • When you got to the 'Configure Applications' window, remove the bits you do not want.
    • Then click Add to add the graphics server - browse to "Q:\YourARCGISFolder\VFS\CSIDL_SYSTEM\GSW32.EXE". Click Add to return to the 'Configure Applications' window. Make a note of what the display name is for the Graphics Server (Graphics Server 5.5.something) and click next.
    • In the 'Launch Applications' window, launch all ArcGIS apps, but NOT the graphics server
    • Once all apps had their test launch, click Next to do the real sequencing.
    • Once the wizard has exited and you're back at the main sequencer window, go to the OSD tab
    • in the 'Select Application' drop down box, make sure that you have selected ArcMAP or one of the other apps that will generate graphs.
    • Under the DEPENDENCY node, create a SCRIPT element. Set the EVENT to LAUNCH, the TIMING to PRE and the WAIT to TRUE
    • Under that SCRIPT element, create a SCRIPTBODY
    • In the SCRIPTBODY element, enter the following 'Element Text':

Sfttray /launch "Graphics Server 5.50"

• Substitue "Graphics Server 5.50" with whatever the display name is for your graphics server
    • Do the same for each of the programs that will generate graphs.
    What this does is it starts the graphics server at the same time as ArcMAP starts. Now unfortunately, the graphics server lingers after you close down ArcMAP. To kill it off, do the following
    • Under the DEPENDENCY node, create another SCRIPT.
    • this time, set  EVENT to SHUTDOWN and TIMING to POST.
    • Under this SCRIPT, create a SCRIPTBODY element wth the following element text:

taskkill /IM GSW32.exe

• That's it. Save your package and transfer it to your AppV server. You should now be able to open up graphs in ArcMap.
    As to your ArcCatalog problem, I'm sorry, I haven't encountered that one (yet).

Hope this helps,

Rolf.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:59 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried a different sequencer?

/Znack
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hi Christian,

I'm in the process of trying to sequence ArcGIS as well. I found that I needed quite a beefy sequencer to get it to finish all the way. I'm running it on a virtual machine with 4Gb memory. Single 3GHz core is ok, dual core is better.

For me, sequencing does finish, and applications start up. Within the sequencing process, everything appears ok, including opening maps and generating graphs. But once streamed down to a client, I'm getting problems deeper down in ArcMAP. When you try to generate a graph of quantities, and try to classify, it comes back with an 'Failed to Open Graphics Server' error. Most bizarre - I haven't gotten to the bottom of that one yet.

Another thing, make sure you use version 4.5CU1 - that has got a patch in for ArcGIS to get it to run.

Best wishes,

Rolf.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hi Rolf,

I am also experiencing the same issue you are having with ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 - ArcMap.  I have contacted ESRI for assistance but no solution was provided.  When I attempt to generate a graph of quantities and try to classify, I also get "Failed to Open Graphics Server" error.  I also have an issue with ArcCatalog.  When I select Tools/Options under ArcCatalog it prompts me to send an error report to ESRI Support.  I sent the report twice to ESRI Support and have not heard anything back from them.  If I should find a solution to these problems I will let you know...and please let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks,

Karen

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hi Karen,

It took me a while, but I did manage to find a solution. The key was in the 'Graphics Server'. For ArcGIS does use a graphics server to display its graphs. This server is called gsw32.exe and normally lives in c:\windows\system32. On a normal (non-virtual) installation, the graphics server gets started whenever graphs are requested. Within AppV, ArcGIS cannot find gsw32.exe, and fails.

So here's my workaround.
    • Start your sequencer, and do a normal ArcGIS installation. Install to the Q: drive and after the installation finishes, fire up a few of the apps (ArcMAP, ArcScene, etc.)  and register the software. But do NOT fire up the graphics server.
    • When you're done installing, stop monitoring.
    • When you got to the 'Configure Applications' window, remove the bits you do not want.
    • Then click Add to add the graphics server - browse to "Q:\YourARCGISFolder\VFS\CSIDL_SYSTEM\GSW32.EXE". Click Add to return to the 'Configure Applications' window. Make a note of what the display name is for the Graphics Server (Graphics Server 5.5.something) and click next.
    • In the 'Launch Applications' window, launch all ArcGIS apps, but NOT the graphics server
    • Once all apps had their test launch, click Next to do the real sequencing.
    • Once the wizard has exited and you're back at the main sequencer window, go to the OSD tab
    • in the 'Select Application' drop down box, make sure that you have selected ArcMAP or one of the other apps that will generate graphs.
    • Under the DEPENDENCY node, create a SCRIPT element. Set the EVENT to LAUNCH, the TIMING to PRE and the WAIT to TRUE
    • Under that SCRIPT element, create a SCRIPTBODY
    • In the SCRIPTBODY element, enter the following 'Element Text':

Sfttray /launch "Graphics Server 5.50"

• Substitue "Graphics Server 5.50" with whatever the display name is for your graphics server
    • Do the same for each of the programs that will generate graphs.
    What this does is it starts the graphics server at the same time as ArcMAP starts. Now unfortunately, the graphics server lingers after you close down ArcMAP. To kill it off, do the following
    • Under the DEPENDENCY node, create another SCRIPT.
    • this time, set  EVENT to SHUTDOWN and TIMING to POST.
    • Under this SCRIPT, create a SCRIPTBODY element wth the following element text:

taskkill /IM GSW32.exe

• That's it. Save your package and transfer it to your AppV server. You should now be able to open up graphs in ArcMap.
    As to your ArcCatalog problem, I'm sorry, I haven't encountered that one (yet).

Hope this helps,

Rolf.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:59 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Hello

I'm trying to sequence ArcGis Desktop..

Which is no problem until "Configure Applications" (5 of 7), where I normally configure the available links and there locations.
    But now, the message "Loading, please wait..." won't disappear... and therefor, I can't continue..

Any ideas?

Christian,

Have you tried using 4.5 CU1 as suggested in one of the replies?

br,
    Kalle
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Hi Rolf,

Wow...this is wonderful news! :)  I want to thank you for sharing your solution to the ArcMap issue.  I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.  I was going to open an incident with Microsoft, but will try this first.  As far as the ArcCatalog/Options issue I am experiencing I will see if I can resolve this at the same time.  Thanks again. Appreciate it very much.

11/03/09 - Update to ArcMap Issue.
    Hi Rolf,

I tried your solution and it worked great!!!
    Thanks again for all your assistance.

Karen

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:59 PM