none
SAP GUI 7.1

Question

• Hi

I have some serious problems regarding SAP Gui 7.1 sequencing. Everything seems to work fine until the application is loaded from the client. It starts correct, but stops again and terminates instantly. Since the application loads correct, the is no way that I can track any error messages. I suspect that the application tries to load / open a component that is missing within the virtual invironment.

Anyone that has tried to sequence SAP GUI 7.1 with luck?

Best regards

Martin

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hello Martin,

I have come across teh below steps to try for SAP GUI 7.10. Please keep in mind that the below is largely untested in a user environment. If they do work, or some modification of it works, please post as well.

Here are the steps to get the SAP Logon and Tweak SAP GUI applications to run successfully.

1. Before Sequence:
    2. Within Windows explorer, verify that folder option “Launch folder windows in a separate process” is selected.
    3. Install Softgrid sequencer version 4.2.0.302 or later.
    4. Sequence SAPGUI  7.10
    5. Settings for package - Suite Name: Suitename/Hostname: your SG server
    6. Settings for Monitoring - No Compression/32KB Block size
    7. Monitoring:
    8. Install .NET 2.0 runtime using default selections.
    9. Execute the installer \SAPGUI710\Sources\PRES1\GUI\WINDOWS\WIN32\setup\NwSapSetup.exe
    10. Select products - SAP GUI for Windows 7.10
    11. Change first target directory for SAP GUI for Windows to: Q:\<suite name>\SAP\FrontEnd
    12. Change second target directory for SAP GUI for Windows to: Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Business Objects
    13. Open a new command prompt.
    14. Create new folder:  Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files
    15. Move (not copy) the following files from C:\Windows\system32 to Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files: librfc32.dll, SAPbtmp.dll, icuin34.dll, and libsapu16vc80.dll
    16. From Control Panel, add Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files to the PATH environment variable.
    17. Stop Monitoring. 
    18. Select directory “Q:\<suite name>”.  The newly created instance of explorer will be terminated.
    19.  The launch wizard will run. Let it get the shortcuts and remove any shortcuts that will not be used. Go to the next dialog (the launch page) and complete the wizard.
    20. Edit the OSD via the OSD Tab  for Tweak Gui and set the filename tag to %CSIDL_SYSTEM%\cmd.exe and the parameters tag to /c “%CSIDL_COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%\Tweak SAP Gui.lnk”. Remove the contents of the WorkingDir tag. Change the application type to console from windows.
    21. Edit the OSD via the OSD tab for SAP Logon and set the filename tag to %CSIDL_SYSTEM%\cmd.exe and the parameters tag to /c “%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.sal”. Set the  WorkingDir tag to %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL. Change the application type to console from windows.

Save the package and install it in the SoftGrid application server. Copy the files to the content folder and import them via the SoftrGrid Management Console.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:06 PM

All replies

• Have you ran ProcessMon to see where it's failing?

"How to use Filemon and Regmon to troubleshoot SoftGrid-enabled applications"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931819

ProcessMon 1.42

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hello

We are seqeunce SAP Gui 7.1 for many customers successfully, but now we have a problem with SAP Gui SP4.

Try to do sequencing at this time without SP's. 

We are currently solving the problem, i get back when we solve this.

Regards

Petri Rantanen

Enfo / Finland

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:45 AM
  • Hello Martin,

I have come across teh below steps to try for SAP GUI 7.10. Please keep in mind that the below is largely untested in a user environment. If they do work, or some modification of it works, please post as well.

Here are the steps to get the SAP Logon and Tweak SAP GUI applications to run successfully.

1. Before Sequence:
    2. Within Windows explorer, verify that folder option “Launch folder windows in a separate process” is selected.
    3. Install Softgrid sequencer version 4.2.0.302 or later.
    4. Sequence SAPGUI  7.10
    5. Settings for package - Suite Name: Suitename/Hostname: your SG server
    6. Settings for Monitoring - No Compression/32KB Block size
    7. Monitoring:
    8. Install .NET 2.0 runtime using default selections.
    9. Execute the installer \SAPGUI710\Sources\PRES1\GUI\WINDOWS\WIN32\setup\NwSapSetup.exe
    10. Select products - SAP GUI for Windows 7.10
    11. Change first target directory for SAP GUI for Windows to: Q:\<suite name>\SAP\FrontEnd
    12. Change second target directory for SAP GUI for Windows to: Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Business Objects
    13. Open a new command prompt.
    14. Create new folder:  Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files
    15. Move (not copy) the following files from C:\Windows\system32 to Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files: librfc32.dll, SAPbtmp.dll, icuin34.dll, and libsapu16vc80.dll
    16. From Control Panel, add Q:\<suite name>\SAP\Common Files to the PATH environment variable.
    17. Stop Monitoring. 
    18. Select directory “Q:\<suite name>”.  The newly created instance of explorer will be terminated.
    19.  The launch wizard will run. Let it get the shortcuts and remove any shortcuts that will not be used. Go to the next dialog (the launch page) and complete the wizard.
    20. Edit the OSD via the OSD Tab  for Tweak Gui and set the filename tag to %CSIDL_SYSTEM%\cmd.exe and the parameters tag to /c “%CSIDL_COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%\Tweak SAP Gui.lnk”. Remove the contents of the WorkingDir tag. Change the application type to console from windows.
    21. Edit the OSD via the OSD tab for SAP Logon and set the filename tag to %CSIDL_SYSTEM%\cmd.exe and the parameters tag to /c “%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.sal”. Set the  WorkingDir tag to %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL. Change the application type to console from windows.

Save the package and install it in the SoftGrid application server. Copy the files to the content folder and import them via the SoftrGrid Management Console.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:06 PM
  •  

Hello,

Have sequenced the SAP GUI with patch 4 and patch 5, also included business explorer patch 1 and patch 2.

Application excutes properly, however when I try to connect I get an "Load Balancing error 88".

After discussing the issue they said that this error most commonly is related to problems with etc/services and ports not beeing available.

I am using sequencer; 4.1.1.303 on a 2003 R2 TS (SP1 I believe).

I performed all the steps above, however I didn't use the saplogon.sal excuteing "via" the cmd, but instead just including whatever shortcut it captured for Sap Logon.

I do remember that I changed app type from windows to console, and next time I will get to it I will try to change this.

Does anyone have an idea what I have been missing?

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  

Hello,

Solved Smile

Seems that this was a specific SAP issue and an miss in the instructions (done by two different teams, working in two different countries).

As the error message might have tipped you off, the system I was trying to connect to was load balanced.

For "our" load balanced production systems, the drivers\etc\services file had to be updated with the service name and the corresponding port;

sapmsPRD<tab>port/tcp

The error does not occur when you connect to a non-load balanced system.

I thank the application owner for been very clear on this.

My next thought was on howto maintain the package in the future if the port / service name changed , but then I remembered active upgrade and gave it a rest...

/Nack

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:19 AM
  • I am trying to profile the new SAP GUI 7.1 also and I am having a problem, it keeps looking for the SAPLOGON.SAL file. I am using Citrix profiling that is works the same as sequencing. Does anybody know about this file (saplogon.sal) I don't even see it when I install the client locally.
    Ray
    Friday, April 11, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Hello,

Check you sequencer, it should be there.

However, mine was named .s8l.

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:07 AM
  •  

Well, I got a huge lesson in what the actually wanted regarding my package.

Currently we have two issues, one which we hope to have resolved - but not confirmed.

The second one is very charming and I thought I might share it as I am hoping that someone here might give me some ideas.

We installed SAP Business Explorer (I think?) and from that we get a shortcut that is named Analyzer.

This executes sap\business explorer\bi\bexanalyzer.exe

That process is executed (error free), and at first it closed right away. Adjusting the TERMINATECHILDREN tag allowed it to spawn excel.exe which also is executed (from what I can gather) error free.

However, I can't see any excel window. I can't even see the splash screen I am supposed to get.

Any ideas? Excel.exe stays afloat until I kill it and the bubble then shuts down.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Hello, I've only one, may be some stupid question, about the editing the OSD file. Add the end you writes:

Change the application type to console from windows.

I really was looking everwhere, but I couldn't find a place to change the application type.

I even can't see somewhere the application type.

I'm using sequencer version 4.2.2.15.

thanks!

Juergen

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Copied from the OSD;

<VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="console"/>
      </VM>

Changed it between win16, windows and console...

Still can't figure out why I have a excel.exe running and nothing to interact with....

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:39 AM
  • I had to add this to my OSD file so that it would copy the correct manifests. Even works with single sign-on.

<DEPENDENCY>

<CLIENTVERSION VERSION="3.1.2.2"/>

<SCRIPT TIMING="POST" EVENT="STREAM" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="0">

<SCRIPTBODY LANGUAGE="Batch">

@echo off \n

copy /y %SFT_MNT%\SAP_71.V2\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests %windir%\WinSxS\Manifests \n

xcopy /S /y %SFT_MNT%\SAP_71.V2\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies %windir%\WinSxS\Policies \n

</SCRIPTBODY>

</SCRIPT>

</DEPENDENCY>

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:58 PM
  •  

Hello,

The problem with the BEXAnalyzer was due to a DEP setting on the server.

Apparently the application ran very well on half of our servers, and all test clients I could locally run it.

As this type of problem had shown itself earlier with other plugins (essbase) some servers had their DEP changed to only be on essential programs.

Once that was done, I only had to change TERMINATE CHILDREN to FALSE and the application executed properly.

(bexanalyzer.exe is the executable that starts, however that in turn only executes the excel-plugin and very early kills itself. - when excel-crashed it didn't show itself at all but when the DEP setting was changed it "shows" itself properly)

In order to debug this I found out (via processmonitor of course) that sapbex0.xla and sapbex.xla (I believe) are started from bexanalyzer.exe (0 is started first and that in turn starts the other one) - so in order to review the "real" error message I executed the .XLA file and could visualize what happend...

The recipe made earlier in this post makes the SAP Logon work very well and if .NET Framework 2.0 and visual c++ 2005 sp1 is installed locally on the server (currently beeing included in our standard setup) there is no need to copy any manifests.

Cheers!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Hello, again...

This recipe works very well and passed through extensive UAT testing for 7.1 client with BEX tools.

Now, something I learned while fixing the SAP client;
    1. Have access to SAPs extensive archive of SAP notes.
    its basically SAPs version of KB articles and is very good. However, the structure of downloading patches is a bit german (prejudice? moi?) so anyone with experience regarding that is greatly appreciated. I probably got about 10-20 errors in the application that were all related to documented errors by SAP. Some required a new patch, others required a much more simpler fix.

That isn't errors caused by APP-V though....
    2. Apparently SAP is a very typical application that can in many ways interact with other applications and other toolsets. Running this in Citrix gives us a bit of a headache (and in APP-V).

Solution? Well, DSC simplifies management for APP-V but to host the application successfully in a non desktop-hosted environment (meaning not locally installed and published in citrix as via a PN-agent) all of these components has to be available and running in the same session. We resolved this by creating a toolbar that utilises one session (or bubble...) and therefore freely can exchange information between all applications executed from that toolbar. 

Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Hello, to all..

i try to sequence SAP GUI 7.10 patch level 12.. but have more more problem..
    I' follow the sequencing line suggested before without luckly..

on sequencer all works fine.. but every time i stream application from client it's start ans go to shutdown immediatly..

i've try to switch SUBSYSTEM VALUE to console or windows... with filemon never seems be strange..

from cmd..include in the bubble for troubleshoot..if i launch the saplogon.exe the application don't start no error..no messagges..

On client i've install c++ 2005, .NET 2.0 and java 1.5

Have anyone help informations for troubleshooting?

Thanks to all
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hello,

Steps 13-16 are really important.

The last steps when configurering the shortcuts are of lesser importance, this is a copy and paste from one SAP Logon;
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="4651B513-A932-4DC9-B910-7D990AC2352F" NAME="SAPGui" VERSION="1.006">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="rtsp://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/sapgui71.006/sapgui71.006.sft" GUID="151520DC-8EA1-4D6F-B921-F223E33B023F" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l" SYSGUARDFILE="sapgui71.006\osguard.cp" SIZE="1278217522"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2003Svr"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2003TS"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">

/Znack
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:45 AM
  • I've resequenced but result il the same...

?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="CC3D2B52-982F-4D6B-98E8-2EFEFDB09C7B" NAME="SAP Logon" VERSION="1.0">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="rtsp://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/SAP7/SAP7.sft" GUID="10B0D2ED-9980-416C-BD69-D1E13DCBFD58" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l" SYSGUARDFILE="SAP7\osguard.cp" SIZE="602039188"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
       <ENVLIST>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="PATH">%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Softricity\SoftGrid Sequencer\;%PATH%;%SFT_MNT%\SAP7\SAP\Common Files;</ENVIRONMENT>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="TEMP">%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\TEMP</ENVIRONMENT>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="TMP">%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\TEMP</ENVIRONMENT>
       </ENVLIST>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\SAP\SAPsetup\setup\SAL</WORKINGDIR>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="3.1.2.2"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <SUITE NAME="SAP7"/>
     <TITLE>SAP7</TITLE>
     <ABSTRACT>SAP7</ABSTRACT>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%" FILENAME="SAP Logon.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="SAP Logon" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/SAP7 Icons/SAP Logon.ico"/>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\SAP Front End" FILENAME="SAP Logon.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="SAP Logon" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/SAP7 Icons/SAP Logon.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST/>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

never bad particular message on sftlog error on client...arghhhhhh!
    Application start ..loading and go shutdown..without error...

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

Try removing the TEMP / TMP environment variables

Did you really follow steps 13-16? (noting the MOVE step)

/Znack
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Ok, i'll remove the temp/tmp variables from exclude item(on sequencer..i hope..)
    i follow the all the steps indicate.. but i will retry again on this new bubble...why without the move step?in the procedure is indicate to move dll's from system32 folder to common file..is right's or is wrong?

thanks a lot..

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Noteing... meaning, take note of that you move the files, and not only copying them...
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Ok thanks...
    i have another question..

in the previus bubble...on sequencer..in the phase of publish link of the program...sap logon,tweak sap, sap designer etc etc..
    i saw that link to sap logon i c:\.....\ and path of Tweak sap is q:\... (correctly)

ok, now i don't change anithing and have follows the procedure mod's by the relative osd only  sap logon...

when i streaming bubble to client..sap logon crashes...tweak sap go successfull.. (I'don't undestrand why...)!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Hello

I just tell you my experience SAP GUI 7.1 with more detail.

for those spineless uses *. xls file with Excel installed locally:

installed on the PC sequences EXCEL locally, then begin a sequence SAP.
      that enable SAP to work with local excel.

those for whom it 0xc015002 error => 2005 x86 install vcredits locally,
    If the problem persists without the bios disable the option "Multi-core processing; Virtualization Techonology; multi-thread" it has solved my problem for now!! (more fast PC  make bug sap ???????)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi

Is there any idea how to sequnce SAP 7.10 if clients have different versions of Office installed? Some have Office 2003 and others have Office 2007. If I tried to have both office versions installed on sequncer machine before sequncing, then no word or excel was able to intitiate from SAP after streaming. Either from 2003 or 2007.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:43 AM
  • We have also this "launching and shutdown" -problem with SAP 7.10 compilation 4 SP 14. And there is no difference if we sequence with this solution or without it.
    We succesfully sequenced some 7.10 SP0 version but SP installations to that package brakes it to same error.

Help wanted ! :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:30 PM