none
Exclude Folder or File from Virtualization during runtime

Question

• Hi everyone,

My app creates a config file during runtime named %APPDATA%\MyApp\Myconfig.ini

this file is being created in the virtual file system. is it possible to exclude that folder or file from being virtualized?

is this possible with app-v?

Kind Regards,
    Fabio

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:32 AM

Answers

• You could add an exception for %APPDATA%\MyApp or even %APPDATA%\MyApp\Myconfig.ini during sequencing.

Alternatively, set the folder %APPDATA%\MyApp to Merge with Local in the package, ensure myconfig.ini does not exist in the package and ensure it exists in the profile before the application is executed.

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hello,

Adding them to the exclusion list would ensure that they are not part of the package, therefore I would assume they should be accessed in the native registry once executing on the client.

/Znack
    Friday, December 03, 2010 1:20 PM

All replies

• You could add an exception for %APPDATA%\MyApp or even %APPDATA%\MyApp\Myconfig.ini during sequencing.

Alternatively, set the folder %APPDATA%\MyApp to Merge with Local in the package, ensure myconfig.ini does not exist in the package and ensure it exists in the profile before the application is executed.

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your reply.

Thats exactly the problem. i cannot ensure that the application will never start before the file exists on that place (physically).

Therefore there is no "easy" solution for that?

Kind Regards,

Fabio

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Hello,

Adding them to the exclusion list would ensure that they are not part of the package, therefore I would assume they should be accessed in the native registry once executing on the client.

/Znack
    Friday, December 03, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Sorry but it wasn't really the answer i was looking for.

Maybe i made myself not clear enough.

Thanks anyway.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

Is the file unique for every user or is it a generic file put down during run time? If it is a generic file what you could do it captured into the virtual environment and then have a pre-script which copies the file to the local machine before the application launches.

What is the nature of the config file? Is it simply popualting the username somewhere? If so again a pre-script could take care of that.

Not knowing the exact nature of the file I would just say PRE or POST scripts might be your answer here.

Regards,

Rory

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:44 AM