none
SFTTRAY vs SPLWOW64

Question

• I recently installed last Microsoft AppV infrastructure with RDS client version 4.6

I made package of 32 bits application on a Windows 2008 Server x86 sequencer.

I use Appv Client 4.6 on RDS Server (Windows 2k8 R2, so x64) to stream applications over RemoteApp distribution.

I meet some troubles with 32 bits applications and print spooler:

Some application uses Windows 32 bits API to access print spooler, and process SPLWOW64.exe (from \Windows directory) is launched to make compatibility with API and printers drivers under 64 bits. Printing work very fine.

Problem is when application is closed, application process is finished, but splwow64.exe still running and sfttray.exe won't close until splwow64.exe is running and user session still active!

I tried to register splwow64.exe in TS sysprocs registry to force closing (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs) but process is not killed on streamed application shutdown :-(

I only found a temporary workaround: create registry entry "SplWOW64TimeOut=1" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, and process splwow64.exe is killed by print spooler 1 minute after no use.

1 minute is too long, some users launched other applications and we have starting application problems.

So I need help on this problem!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Yann

Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

• In the OSDs, you could CAREFULLY test if setting "TERMINATECHILDREN" to "YES" solves your issue.

This setting's intention is to kill child processes after the main process has been ended.

The risk is, that also processes are killed that are intent ro run after the main process ended (like connection close tasks, cleanup tasks..) so there is a certain risk of Data Lost if you "just activate it for every app always.."

Falko
    • Marked as answer by Yann BOUVIER Friday, June 04, 2010 7:40 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• In the OSDs, you could CAREFULLY test if setting "TERMINATECHILDREN" to "YES" solves your issue.

This setting's intention is to kill child processes after the main process has been ended.

The risk is, that also processes are killed that are intent ro run after the main process ended (like connection close tasks, cleanup tasks..) so there is a certain risk of Data Lost if you "just activate it for every app always.."

Falko
    • Marked as answer by Yann BOUVIER Friday, June 04, 2010 7:40 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Wahou! Thanks a lot Kirk!!!

Very quick and very good answer!

Very usefull option, all work fine now with Word2000, I'll try with others applications.

Yann

Friday, June 04, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Where can I find this osd file to edit?

Thanks

MCP,MCSA,MCSE,MCTS,MCITP Enterprise Administrator

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:32 AM