SCCM Windows 7 Capture and Bitlocker as Active Partition RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hi,

I am having some problems capturing a Windows 7 Enterprise image with Config Manager SP2.  I have created 2 different TS and both fail with the same error. 

The first TS is:

Set Task Sequence Variable 
         OSDTargetSystemRoot = C:\Windows

Set Task Sequence Variable 
         OSDTargetSystemDrive = C:\

Prepare Windows for Capture

Capture Operating System Image

The Second TS is simply:

Prepare Windows for Capture

Capture Operating System Image

When I execute each TS it fails after booting into WINPE with the following error in the SMTS.log
     "The volume that contains the OS is not the active partition. Please consult the product documentation for requirements when capturing an operating system image. CaptureSystemImage 12/21/2009 4:50:17 PM 1700 (0x06A4)"

I noticed that the 100MB Bitlocker partition is actually the active partition.   As a test, I re-partitioned and re-installed Windows 7 without the bitlocker partition.  I have run the second TS listed above and it is actually capturing the image as I type. 

Is there something I need to change in my TS or image to allow this image to gather with the Active Botlocker partition in place?

Thanks

Rosy
    04/محرم/1431 08:25 م

الإجابات

• I figured it out. The error that I got was because of the System Reserved partition that Windows 7 creates. The partition confuses the task sequences. If you want to capture Windows 7 with capture media, make sure that there is not System Reserved partition on the disk.

To avoid the system reserved partition from being created, create a partition on the hard disk before beginning to install Windows 7 and select the existing partition to install the OS. You can also do this from the Windows 7 setup. Press shift F10 before the disk partition step to invoke command line. Enter diskpart utility and then create a new partition and format it.

Mayur
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Yog Li 20/محرم/1431 10:35 ص
    18/محرم/1431 09:20 م

جميع الردود

• are you using the following step at all ?

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

just before the Prepare OS and Capture the Reference Machine steps

My step by step SCCM Guides
    Follow me on Twitter
    04/محرم/1431 09:34 م
  • Gave it a shot, and same result.  But, I have new information that may explain things.  Our Config Manager was updated to SP2 last week.  Although it appeared to be fine, one of our guys found a bunch of errors in some of the logs.  Hopefully the Bitlocker issue will just go away after the SP2 upgrade errors are resolved.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the ideas.

Rosy
    06/محرم/1431 06:07 م
  • Any update on this? I am using a capture media CD to capture Windows 7 and getting the same error.
    Mayur
    13/محرم/1431 08:26 م
  • can both of you confirm if your target machine has the configmgr client version sp2 installed ?

Follow me on Twitter
    13/محرم/1431 08:33 م
  • Niall, I am trying to capture a fresh copy of Windows 7 installed from a CD. There is no configmgr client installed on it.

This is what I did:
    1. Installed Windows 7 from a CD on a new computer.
    2. Burned a capture DVD media from ConfigMgr SP2.
    3. Auto ran task sequence on Windows 7 from the capture media.

I know there is no need of the "sysprep" folder with Windows 7, so I skipped that step.

Once the TS starts in live OS, it does its work and restarts the computer in WinPE. The task sequence fails immediately after that with this error:
    The volume that contains the OS is not the active partition. Please consult the product documentation for requirements when capturing an operating system image.
    Failed to validate for capture.
    The request is not supported. (Error: 80070032; Source: Windows)

Failed to run the action: Capture the Reference Machine.

The execution of the group (Capture the Reference Machine) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)

Failed to run the last action: Capture the Reference Machine. Execution of task sequence failed.

I logged into Windows 7 after that and right clicked on the C drive and selected "Mark as active partition" (or something along those words). Reran the capture media.
    This time I got these errors:
    Failed to identify the current boot system.
    Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

Unable to find the default system root.  Please consult the product documentation for requirements when capturing an operating system image.
    Failed to run the action: Capture the Reference Machine.
    Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

Thanks.
    Mayur
    18/محرم/1431 04:00 م
  • can you verify if that machine has a dell *or other vendor* recovery media partition on it *hidden...*

does it have a bitlocker partition ?

does this custom task sequence capture windows 7 for you successfully ?

cheers
    niall

Follow me on Twitter
    18/محرم/1431 04:14 م
  • I figured it out. The error that I got was because of the System Reserved partition that Windows 7 creates. The partition confuses the task sequences. If you want to capture Windows 7 with capture media, make sure that there is not System Reserved partition on the disk.

To avoid the system reserved partition from being created, create a partition on the hard disk before beginning to install Windows 7 and select the existing partition to install the OS. You can also do this from the Windows 7 setup. Press shift F10 before the disk partition step to invoke command line. Enter diskpart utility and then create a new partition and format it.

Mayur
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Yog Li 20/محرم/1431 10:35 ص
    18/محرم/1431 09:20 م