Ex2003 to 2007 - In ADSIEdit CN=Folder Hierarchies displays under old CN=first administrative group

السؤال

• I have inherited a network that has recently undergone an Exchange 2003 (SBS) to 2007 migration. The Exchange 2003 server is long gone and I am not familiar with the steps that where taken during the migration however Im left with the following:

1. Outlook 2003 users cannot see Free/Busy information. I use Outlook 2007 and can see the info though my account is new.

2. The following events appear in the Ex07 application logs - Source: MSExchangeFBPublish ID: 8207 Message: Error updating public folder with free/busy information on virtual machine <servername>. The error number is 0x8004010f.

3. If I attempt to Update Hierarchy in the Public Folder Management Console I get MapiExceptionNoReplicataAvailable: StartHierarchyReplication failed (hr=0x80004005, ec=1129)

4. get-publicfolder -Identity "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY" -Recurse | fl name, Replicas returns:
    Name     : SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY
    Replicas : {}
    Name     : EX:/o=<ORG>/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    Replicas : {<ORG>\Second Storage Group\Public Folders}

I have read through a lot of the existing posts and have discovered that in ADSIEdit there is still an entry for the old exchange server under CN=Services,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=<ORGANIZATION>,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=first administrative group,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=Public Folders however there is no CN= Folder Hierarchies under the Exchange 2007 CN=Services,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=<ORGANIZATION>,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Exchange Adminstrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

Following this article - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727370(EXCHG.80).aspx there is now real indication what to do if the CN exists but just under a different CN.

Is it best for me to delete the CN=Folder Hierarchies from under CN=first administrative group and recreate it or move the CN=Folder Hierarchies to under CN=Exchange Adminstrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) and update the information to match the new details?

Should the old CN=first administrative group still exist or is this an indication that the migration was not completed properly? And if it shouldnt exist is it ok to delete? Looking at the siteFolderServer attribute for this CN it points to CN=Public Folder Database\0ADEL:917de134-39dd-453c-adb7-afae32f28175,CN=Deleted Objects,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=com,DC=au which leads me to believe this is the cause of the issues stated above.

Thanks your any assistance/advice offered.

28/ذو القعدة/1431 06:59 ص

جميع الردود

• Hi

Just let the First Administrative Group be there, but the folder hierarchies should be moved earlier when they moved public folders from the old to the new server.

How is the free busy published?

Through public folders only?

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    29/ذو القعدة/1431 11:30 ص
  • Hi Jonas

Yes through public folders only.

As the folder hierachies dont apear to have been moved during the migration what is the correct procedure for doing so at this stage?

01/ذو الحجة/1431 09:51 م
  • The link you posted is telling you how to perform it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727370%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

Also, i have done a post about it earlier, hope it can help you :)

http://www.testlabs.se/blog/2010/01/29/can-mount-public-folders/

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    02/ذو الحجة/1431 09:58 ص
  • Hi,

You just need to create the CN=Folder Hierarchies under CN= Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), and ensure the msExchOwningPFTree attribute of the Exchange 2007's Public Folder Database to be pointed to the distinguishedName of the new Public Folder under CN=Folder Hierarchies.

The steps is:

1. Open ADSIedit.exe.
    2. Right click on Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    3. Select New Object.
    4. Select msExchPublicFolderTreeContainer for the class and click Next
    5. Enter the following for the value: Folder Hierarchies, click Next
    6. Click Finish

Create Public Folder Tree Object

1. Right click CN=Folder Hierarchies -> New Object
    2. Selected msExchPFTree for the class
    3. For the value we entered, "Public Folders" and clicked next
    4. Clicked on the "More Attributes" button, selected msExchPFTreeType and set the value to 1.

Note: This is very important that this value is set to a value of 1 as this tells Exchange that this is a MAPI Tree

5. Click Ok and then finish it.

Next input the msExchowningPFTree based on the below steps:

1. Get properties of the newly created "Public Folders" Tree object in ADSIEdit.
    2. Copy the distinguishedname value to the clipboard and then click cancel.
    3. Browse to CN=Public Folders Database,CN=Second Storage Group,CN=InformationStore CN="Sever Name:,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ORG Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=COM
    4. In the properties of the "Public Folder Database", Edit the msExchOwningPFtree attribute and paste the content copied to the clipboard in Step2
    5. Restart the Information Store Service.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Allen Song 06/ذو الحجة/1431 08:57 ص
    • تم إلغاء علامة كإجابة بواسطة SAS8345 08/ذو الحجة/1431 10:27 م
    04/ذو الحجة/1431 08:51 ص
  • Hi,

Was that resolved?

Allen

Allen Song
    10/ذو الحجة/1431 07:27 ص
  • Not sure about his issue, but It fixed mine after manually removing a dead legacy exchange 2003 server... Thanks!
    18/ذو الحجة/1431 06:51 م