locked
Cannot raise the domain functional level - The server is unwilling to process the request RRS feed

  • السؤال

  • We tried to change the domain functional level of our AD to 2008 and got the error "the server is unwilling to process the request"

    I ran a DCDIAG /V /C /E and only had a few oddities. This one stood out:


    Starting test: VerifyEnterpriseReferences

             The following problems were found while verifying various important DN

             references.  Note, that  these problems can be reported because of

             latency in replication.  So follow up to resolve the following

             problems, only if the same problem is reported on all DCs for a given

             domain or if  the problem persists after replication has had

             reasonable time to replicate changes.
                [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value

                 Base Object:

                CN=LostAndFoundConfig,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com

                 Base Object Description: "Server Object"

                 Value Object Attribute: serverReference

                 Value Object Description: "DC Account Object"

                 Recommended Action: This could hamper authentication (and thus

                replication,  etc).  Check if this server is deleted, and if so

                clean up this DCs Account  Object.  If the problem persists and

                this is not a deleted DC, authoratively restore the DSA object from

                a good copy, for example the DSA on the DSA's home server.

                
             ......................... MYDC001 failed test

             VerifyEnterpriseReferences

          Starting test: VerifyReferences

             The system object reference (serverReference)

             CN=MYDC001,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com and backlink

             on

             CN=MYDC001,CN=Servers,CN=DA-401,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com

             are correct.
             The system object reference (serverReferenceBL)

             CN=MYDC001,CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share),CN=File Replication Service,CN=System,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com

             and backlink on

             CN=NTDS Settings,CN=MYDC001,CN=Servers,CN=DA-401,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com

             are correct.
             ......................... MYDC001 passed test VerifyReferences

    I checked the LostAndFoundConfig container and it's empty. Our DNS is running smooth; all are AD-integrated.

    Can anyone see anything that might generate this failure to change domain functional level?


    Orange County District Attorney
    23/شعبان/1430 08:12 م

الإجابات

  • I got a resolution to my issue with help from Microsoft PSS. It seems I had  an NTDS object in the LostAndFoundConfig container, seen in Adsiedit. I neglected to look in this container, located in the Configuration Naming Context. Once we deleted that object, I was able to raise the domain functionality.
    Orange County District Attorney
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Sandy Wood 29/شعبان/1430 02:26 م
    29/شعبان/1430 02:26 م

جميع الردود

  • Hello,

    did you check LostandFound container with ADSIEdit.msc? I assume all DCs are 2008? Did the listed server in the output exist before and was it removed correct from the domain with dcpromo or did you use ntdsutil to remove it?

    Check with ntdsutil if the machine still exists in the database, if yes remove it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555846/en-us

    Additional you mmay see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312862

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327341
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Devaraju K 26/شعبان/1430 06:25 ص
    23/شعبان/1430 11:15 م
  • Hi Sandy,

    Thank you for posting here.

    This error mostly is caused by items in Lost and Found container as Meinolf mentioned. Please backup your server first and try to remove any orphaned item to test.

    Thanks.

     


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    26/شعبان/1430 03:38 ص
  • Hello Meinolf,

    I did check LostandFound and it was empty. All DCs are 2008. The listed server in the output exists; in fact it is one of our FSMO holders. We added it only about 2 months ago. Funny thing, if I run DCDIAG, the same output shows for each sever it is run on.

    I may need to open a support ticket on this one....


    Orange County District Attorney
    27/شعبان/1430 02:11 م
  • Hi,

     

    Thank you for update. I understand you would like to open a support ticket on this issue. It’s welcomed to post any update here.

     

    Thanks.


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    28/شعبان/1430 06:24 ص
  • I got a resolution to my issue with help from Microsoft PSS. It seems I had  an NTDS object in the LostAndFoundConfig container, seen in Adsiedit. I neglected to look in this container, located in the Configuration Naming Context. Once we deleted that object, I was able to raise the domain functionality.
    Orange County District Attorney
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Sandy Wood 29/شعبان/1430 02:26 م
    29/شعبان/1430 02:26 م
  • Hi,

    Glad to hear the issue was resolved. If you have other questions in the future, you’re welcomed to our forum.

    Thanks.


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    30/شعبان/1430 02:45 ص
  • Thanks! You guys do a great job here.
    Orange County District Attorney
    30/شعبان/1430 02:11 م
  • This worked for me too! Thank you!
    26/جمادى الأولى/1433 10:12 ص