Windows 10 Technical Preview - Balloon Notification displayed at upper left corner always ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing both Windows 10 Technical Preview for x86 (Version 6.4.9841), Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview x86 (Version 10.0.9926) and x64 ( Version 6.4.9860 ) and enabled the balloon notification via local group policy manager:

1. "User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and Taskbar->Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts" set to "Enabled"

2. RE-BOOT.

3. When I plugged and unplugged an USB thumb drive, the balloon notification shown at upper left corner of screen always.

This is not right, as I have existing applications depending on balloon notification as well.

Please advise.

Regards,

Ricky Gai.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:34 AM

All replies

• I discovered something weird, when I plugged in and unplugged the USB thumb drive the second time, the balloon notification displayed at lower right corner.

However, all arrow of balloon message is not pointing to its respective taskbar icon correctly but
    the left most tray icon/application that triggered the balloon message.

However, after re-start, the balloon notification displayed at upper-left corner of the screen again again :o(

Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview - Balloon Notification issues

Please advise.

• Edited by Ricky Gai Monday, March 23, 2015 9:05 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 8:06 AM
  • I have the same problem on Windows 10.

By default when I ran my app no notifications were shown(neither toast nor balloon). I used group policy to enable balloons(disable toasts) using the above setting and I see all balloons at the top left corner. 

There are two issues here:

1. If the Group policy setting is untouched( using the default), then all balloons should be shown as toasts, which is not happening in the preview build. Our App uses Shell_NotifyIcon to shows balloons successfully in previous versions of windows.

2. If the GP setting is changed to disable toasts and machine restarted, we do see balloons, but they are shown on the top left corner

Hopefully Microsoft team, you are aware of both these issues and getting them fixed. Please provide any details that can help the developers to get rid of these bugs.

Thanks,

Venki

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:16 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  My application uses balloon messages.  The toast notifications work ok however they cut off some of the text that the balloon messages are supposed to display.  After using the group policy to change toast to balloon messages, all balloon messages appear in the top left corner of the screen instead of by the tray icon.  Could we please get this corrected?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:59 PM