none
Sharepoint Workspace 2013 - does it exist and.... RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be a new version of Sharepoint Workspace when Office 15 is released? If so, will it include the capability of syncing "Groove Standard Workspaces"? If not, what are my options for peer-to-peer file sharing / collaboration? I don't prefer my data in the cloud (Office 365), however, if it has to be in the cloud but can also reside on my machines locally and sync back/forth, I guess that would be okay, but I really don't trust the cloud. Thanks!
    • Edited by dcraw999 Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:28 PM

Answers

• Folder Sync, now called SkyDrive Pro allows you to sync a document library from a SharePoint server to your client and expose it through Windows Explorer. You can review the SharePoint Blog for more information on what is new with SharePoint 2013 including SkyDrive Pro.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?pID=1012

There is no peer tool in Office 2013. Office 2013 will allow for a side-by-side installation with Office 2010. This will allow current workspaces to continue operation using SharePoint Workspace 2010.

-Michael Ma[MSFT]

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Just to be clear, there is no SharePoint Workspace product in 2013.

SharePoint Workspace 2010 will function with SharePoint 2013 servers.

SkyDrive Pro will only sync document libraries.

Office 2013 and Office 2010 can be installed in a side by side scenario. If SkyDrive Pro is installed on the machine you will need to create workspaces through the SharePoint Workspace UI as the 'Sync' button will engage the SkyDrive Pro application.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• The most information I can find in a public source is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954(v=office.15). In brief, peer-to-peer (Groove) features are being dropped in Office 2013 to tighten the focus on SharePoint, but you may be able to continue to run SharePoint Workspace 2010 with Office 2013.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:23 PM
  • It’s now replaced by SkyDrive Pro. 

Hosam Kamel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

I have some questions:

What is Folder Sync?

On the forms disconnected from Sharepoint Workspace 2010. What software will inherit?

Thanks,

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Folder Sync, now called SkyDrive Pro allows you to sync a document library from a SharePoint server to your client and expose it through Windows Explorer. You can review the SharePoint Blog for more information on what is new with SharePoint 2013 including SkyDrive Pro.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?pID=1012

There is no peer tool in Office 2013. Office 2013 will allow for a side-by-side installation with Office 2010. This will allow current workspaces to continue operation using SharePoint Workspace 2010.

-Michael Ma[MSFT]

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Michael, if I'm simply wanting to keep copies of my documents locally and when I modify them, they are synced to Office 365 Sharepoint, what MS Office software will allow me to do that? Only the old SharePoint Workspace 2010, or is there a new desktop client for Sharepoint that will accomplish the same thing?  Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Office 2013 will have an application called SkyDrive Pro. This allows you to sync document libraries only between client and sever. You can read more information about the feature set on the SharePoint Blog:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?pID=1015

Understand that the feature set is not final at this stage and until the product is released nothing is absolute.

-Michael Ma [MSFT]

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:45 PM
  • It's been a while since anybody posted here.

But what does this update means?

Update for Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2013 (KB2760358)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36374

Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:27 AM
  • We are currently looking into exactly what this is. I believe this is simply labeled incorrectly.  You can reference this article for the feature set and deprications in Office 2013. Take note of the SharePoint Workspace section where outlines that the SharePoint Workspace Product is at End of life.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954.aspx

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:38 PM
  • I have confirmed that the product that is being updated by KB2760358 is Sky Drive Pro and that the article has labeled incorrectly. We are working on getting this corrected. SharePoint Workspace has been retired and is NOT part of the Office 2013 release. SkyDrive Pro is a new product that will perform some actions similar to SharePoint Workspace 2010. You can review the previous posts for more information.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hi - The product is still listed and I am wondering if SharePoint 2010 Workspace will be compatible with SharePoint 2013.  I have an application our Salesmen use and they take custom lists offline.  Is there a replacement for this?  I have heard of the SkyDrive Pro, but that only syncs documents, correct?  I would appreciate any additional information.

Thanks!

Jesse A. Brandenburg

Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Just to be clear, there is no SharePoint Workspace product in 2013.

SharePoint Workspace 2010 will function with SharePoint 2013 servers.

SkyDrive Pro will only sync document libraries.

Office 2013 and Office 2010 can be installed in a side by side scenario. If SkyDrive Pro is installed on the machine you will need to create workspaces through the SharePoint Workspace UI as the 'Sync' button will engage the SkyDrive Pro application.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification!

Jesse A. Brandenburg

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Hi I am little confused on this and have had mixed messages from Microsoft on this. You say:

"SharePoint Workspace 2010 will function with SharePoint 2013 servers."

I have had the negative on this from O365/SharePoint online support twice. Plus we are having issues with managing files in the library through Workspace, the reason given is be we are 'between' Wave 14 and 15.

If you believe we can use Workspace and  SharePoint 2013, can you tell how? Relevant tech articles most welcome. We are using Office 365 with Workspace 2010. Win 7 clients

Many thanks

DT

Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:08 PM
  • SharePoint Workspace will work with SharePoint 2013 servers. I'm from the escalation team for SharePoint Workspace, if you want to send anyone in SharePoint Online support our way to confirm that. :-) I also use it that way on a daily basis.

There are a few complications:

Apply hotfixes:

For use with SharePoint Online, you need -- at minimum -- the hotfix from August 2012: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687364/EN-US. However, because of other issues that have been fixed since, I recommend installing the February or April hotfixes from this year. SharePoint Workspace hotfixes are cumulative, so when you install one, you have all earlier ones. The April one is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2794684/EN-US.

(To find the most recent SharePoint Workspace hotfix approved for a cumulative update at some time in the future, use this search and look for the dates:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=%22SharePoint+Workspace+2010+hotfix%22+&mode=a&spid=global&catalog=LCID%3D1033&x=0&y=0)

Use care when running SkyDrive Pro:

• Have SharePoint Workspace installed and configured before installing SkyDrive Pro.
    • Use the Client UI to sync a site with SharePoint Workspace. The Sync option on the site will sync the active document library with SkyDrive Pro.
    • Be aware that you will have two MSOSYNC.EXE processes running, one for each version, and two GROOVE.EXE processes, one for each application. These are different and can run concurrently.

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps you could explain your issues in more detail?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Many thanks for your speedy answer on this one. Thank you for a very clear answer on this.I will get that applied and see what impact that has on our issue.

The issue that we have is when managing files through workspace, moving from Windows server or creating/saving. The file appears in the root of the file library instead of the folder it was saved/moved into. It is not user error I would like to point out as multiple people have experienced this problem. Also when you attempt to rectify the problem by moving the file to were it should be it simply returns to the root on next sync.

Have you heard of a any similar type issues?

Many thanks

DT

Actually not on next sync but within 10mins or so. I am now the only person using Workspace btw. I am moving files that another user has had a problem with.

cheers

DT

• Edited by dwot Friday, May 10, 2013 12:55 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Yes, I'm familiar with that issue. It's one of the reasons that I suggest the latest hotfix! Basically, there are certain operations (such as dragging a folder out and back in using Explorer view) that function behind the scenes as deleting and recreating the folder, which changes some of its metadata. Previously, when SharePoint Workspace didn't find the expected folder, it would move the file to the root to try to save the data. Now it looks to see if can find a folder that matches the name and other criteria. There are a lot of details on the original behavior here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sharepointclient/archive/2012/09/18/sync-issues-with-nested-folders-in-sharepoint-library.aspx 

So the first thing to try is the most recent hotfix. If the problem still occurs, see if anything is changing about the folder structure in normal SharePoint operations. (I'm not sure if the fixes work, for example, if the creator of the folder changes.)

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Just spent the last 4 days trying to upgrade my 2010 office 365 to 2013, no information on upgrade pages about what to do for sharepoint.  Office 365 help desk said it was a different product and didn't know how to upgrade it.  In the meantime trying to run my sharepoint workspace 2010 alongside office 2013 - it doesnt work - system slows to a complete crawl and is unusable.

Finally got hold of sharepoint support this afternoon, they confirmed that workspace 2010 and web based sharepoint 2013 are not compatible and that there will be a whole series of issues.  Was told how to remove workspace 201 and clear cache and then sync using Skydrive Pro.

Our workspace 2010 sites holds about 10,000 files and is about 13Gb - not large but needs to be sync'd on my colleagues laptops so they can access without being connected to the internet and then sync changes later.

Have now realised that Skydrive Pro is not a professional syncing device but is really meant for a few files used frequently.  The sharepoint library I have used virtually everyday for the last two years cannot be synced to my laptop

Unless Microsoft are about to launhc a new update to greatly expand the capacity and capability of Skydrive pro I will have to revert bback to 2010 and prevent any of my colleagues upgrading

Any suggestions

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:39 PM
  • The information on compatibility is not correct. SkyDrive Pro 2013 does not work with SharePoint Server 2010, but SharePoint Workspace 2010 does work with SharePoint Server 2013, and can be run at the same time as SkyDrive Pro. This was a priority in beta, as we realized some customers would still require list sync. I am in the escalation group for both products. If Office365 help cannot resolve this, please have them open a supplemental problem with us, so that we can assist.

Also, SkyDrive Pro can handle 5000 documents per library (20,000 in the SkyDrive Pro folder / My Site), so 10,000 documents on a site would not necessarily be a problem, as long as no more than half were in a single library.

There were some interoperability issues that occurred in the initial versions and have since been fixed, with changes starting last summer. I would recommend at least these updates to use the two programs together:

Note that SharePoint Workspace must be installed and configured before you install Office 2013 desktop applications. (This is generally true for any case of running Office applications of two versions; they must be set up in release order.)

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:41 PM

• SharePoint Workspace 2010 does work with SharePoint Server 2013, and can be run at the same time as SkyDrive Pro. This was a priority in beta, as we realized some customers would still require list sync. I am in the escalation group for both products. If Office365 help cannot resolve this, please have them open a supplemental problem with us, so that we can assist.

That's interesting... because Office365 are terminating Sharepoint Workspace 2010 licencing (along with all Office 2010 apps) and deactivating it around May 2014 so it'll stop working altogether.  For those of us still needing a Groove-like solution at that time, what are our options? 
    Friday, June 7, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Really got quite used to using SharePoint Workspace 2010.  And, had showed several customers how it worked.  Really disappointed in Sky Drive Pro offering as a replacement.  And, as far as Workspace 2010 working with SharePoint 2013 - well, not well with my Office 365 account.  Does not seem to let me authenticate to sync the folders/files.  Just a white box. 

James Hevener - vaITpros.com / ARMSS.NET - 804-420-CPU2

Monday, August 5, 2013 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

I understand the MS SharePoint Workspace 2010 is not supported on MS SharePoint 2013 

I understand that MS SkyDrive Pro or MS OneDrive for Business will be used to replace Workspace for uploading files to the SharePoint 2013 server

What I don't Understand is what happens to the SharePoint 2010 custom "List FORMS" currently you can use MS SP 2010 Workspace to download the SharePoint List, and work off line, create new SP list items, update/edit, delete working offline, and Workspace offers a button to SYNC delta or it does an automatic background sync.

My question is does MS SkyDrive Pro or MS OneDrive for Business offer SharePoint list item sync from off-line mode to the SharePoint list library?

-Isaack

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:11 PM
  • The 2013 client (formerly SkyDrive Pro, now OneDrive for Business) syncs only libraries. There is no current Microsoft client sync for other types of SharePoint list, I suspect because there was such low adoption of the feature in SharePoint Workspace.

However, if you have a traditional license (rather than an expiring subscription) for SharePoint Workspace 2010, you can use it with SharePoint 2013. I am doing this to several on-prem and Office365 systems. It is the reverse (2013 client to 2010 server) that does not work.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:28 PM
  • WorkSpace 2010 is not practical for users who are connect 100% - BUT - There are end-users who travel 80% of their time to locations with little or no internet access so MS SharePoint Workspace 2010 was the only tool they had to fill out infopath forms while traveling to remote customer sites, when the end-user connects to the corporate network Workspace would sync delta changes automatically. 

I just found this URL link that answers some of the questions regarding MS SharePoint Workspace 2010 with MS SharePoint 2013 - OneDrive for business support (working off-line mode)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-workspace/sync-with-skydrive-pro-or-sharepoint-workspace-HA104048828.aspx 

-Isaack

Friday, February 21, 2014 5:55 PM
  • MS SkyDrive Pro for Business is good for FILE syncing from you local drive to a SharePoint document library

MS Workspace was also good at syncing CUSTOM LIBRARIES or INFOPATH forms - you can fill out a form offline and when the laptop auto detects there is a network connection it would sync in the background to the SharePoint server updating the meta data values of the form to and from the server.

Does MS SharePoint 2013, 2016, or O365 offer an offline solution for INFOPATH web forms? or out of the box SharePoint forms?

P.S. Also if you have Windows 10, Grove or WorkSpace 2010 is no longer supported with windows 10 machines, so you can not install OFFICE 2010 software on a Windows 10 and connect to a SharePoint 2013 server...

-Isaack

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:07 PM
  • MS SkyDrive Pro for Business is good for FILE syncing from you local drive to a SharePoint document library

MS Workspace was also good at syncing CUSTOM LIBRARIES or INFOPATH forms - you can fill out a form offline and when the laptop auto detects there is a network connection it would sync in the background to the SharePoint server updating the meta data values of the form to and from the server.

Does MS SharePoint 2013, 2016, or O365 offer an offline solution for INFOPATH web forms? or out of the box SharePoint forms?

-Isaack

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:08 PM

-Isaack

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:09 PM
  • For folks like me who have been beating their head against a wall for hours trying to figure getting folders and syncing done.

1)  Microsoft does not know JACK about syncing, nothing works as would be expected

2)  There is not SkyDrive Pro anymore, there is SkyDrive for Business that has so many sync limitations it is of little value

Friday, March 24, 2017 11:17 PM
  • "SkyDrive Pro will only sync document libraries."  and limited documents within that library.  (pdf's and jpg's did not sync for me)
    Friday, March 24, 2017 11:31 PM