Multiple Network Adapters Listing Same Hostname - HyperVs Installed RRS feed

• Question

• The Server is Win2016. There is a HyperV setup for the Domain Controller, a HyperV for an SQL Server. There are 4 network adapters setup in all. One is disabled. One is assigned to each HyperV and one is setup for the Host workstation. On the network the netbios name for the hosting server is all that you can see. The host-name for the dc or the SQL server is not visible on the network. As a result I get a lot of Event 4319 Errors.

"A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network.  The IP address of the computer that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state."

I attempted to disable netbios on the hyperv virtual adapters however this did not resolve the issue.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Monday, June 1, 2020 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I am a bit confused about your environment. Could you please clarify more details?

>>There is a HyperV setup for the Domain Controller, a HyperV for an SQL Server. There are 4 network adapters setup in all. One is disabled. One is assigned to each HyperV and one is setup for the Host workstation.

Based on my understanding, you have a VM set up for the DC and a VM set up for the SQL server. You have four physical network adapter, one is disabled. One is assigned to VM as external virtual switch, one is for hyper-v host. Is that right?

Please feel free to let me know if my understanding is wrong.

If my understanding is correct, your NIC which is used by the Hyper-V external network should not have an IP in the host OS. So please uncheck box of your external switch to not allow the host to use the NIC.

Then check if the error was gone.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:38 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1:49 AM
  • I have a separate virtual switch for each vm with its individual assigned physical ethernet adapter. I did not have that option above toggled off. I will try it when the office leaves for the day this afternoon. I suspect you have probably given me the answer I was looking for.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:17 PM
  • I will wait for your good news.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:30 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any update on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, June 5, 2020 1:41 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, June 8, 2020 1:55 AM
  • Hi ,

We helped you post a new thread on Q&A platform. If you need follow-up or have any concerns about this issue, please come to the Q&A platform to discuss.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, August 7, 2020 6:23 AM