none
SQL Server Archival on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a scenario where i need to dump my SQL 2012 data on Azure for archival purpose and access it only twice in a year if required.

Would like to know the best choice in Azure for holding only the SQL data as archival\idle data and access it on demand with lesser cost.

Appreciate if any suggestions.

Friday, September 13, 2019 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi

Starting with SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU2, you can now write SQL Server backups directly to the Azure Blob storage service. You can use this functionality to back up to and restore from the Azure Blob service with an on-premises SQL Server database or SQL Server in Azure VM.

In Azure Blob Storage there are few tiering options to define availability/speed of data retrieval and as per your statement hope archive tier may suit you. However they are classified as below

Hot - Optimized for storing data that is accessed frequently.

Cool - Optimized for storing data that is infrequently accessed and stored for at least 30 days.

Archive - Optimized for storing data that is rarely accessed and stored for at least 180 days with flexible latency requirements (on the order of hours).

Below is the link to provide information on pricing classification for the same.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/details/storage/blobs/

Hope this is helpful !!

Thank you

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Hi

Just checking in to see if my initial answer helped or you still facing any issues.

If my initial reply answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thank you

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:05 AM