Get list of printers published in active directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Dear Colleagues.

How to get list of printers published in active directory?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:36 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your answer, but I don't need search for published printers on specific computer, I need to serach whole AD for published printers on all computers.
    Use Get-ADComputer to get a list of machines and then use Get-Printer to check each.

EDIT: See jrv's posts below.

• Marked as answer by fapw Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:21 PM
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:02 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, but I don't need search for published printers on specific computer, I need to serach whole AD for published printers on all computers.

Use Get-ADComputer to get a list of machines and then use Get-Printer to check each.

This does not return published printers.  It returns printers attached to or define on a computer listed in AD.  Not the same thing.

The AD query I posted gets all "published" printers.  You cannot really know where they are being used as this is likely set per-user.

If you didn't mean to ask for "published" printers then you should change your question to accurately reflect what you are looking for.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elaine Jing Friday, July 24, 2015 7:50 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:34 PM

All replies

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:45 PM

EDIT: See jrv's posts below.

• Marked as answer by fapw Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:21 PM
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:02 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Published printers are device associated objects in AD.  They have nothing to do with the local Get-Printer command.  The following should work.

Get-AdObject -filter "objectCategory -eq 'printqueue'"

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:11 PM
  • This may be more useful:

Get-AdObject -filter "objectCategory -eq 'printqueue'" -Prop *|
        Select Name,serverName, @{N='ShareNames';E={$_.printShareName -join ';'}}

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:20 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:18 PM

This does not return published printers.  It returns printers attached to or define on a computer listed in AD.  Not the same thing.

The AD query I posted gets all "published" printers.  You cannot really know where they are being used as this is likely set per-user.

If you didn't mean to ask for "published" printers then you should change your question to accurately reflect what you are looking for.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elaine Jing Friday, July 24, 2015 7:50 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

you can use the following command:

Get-Printer -ComputerName YourPrintServer | ? published

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hello,

you can use the following command:

Get-Printer -CompiuterName YourPrintServer | ? published

This, again, has nothing to do with "published" printers.  AD published printers can be published from any server or workstation.  The only way to find them is by querying AD.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:58 PM