none
Connecting vCloud via SCOrch RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

I am new to SCOrch and trying to learn the same nowadays.I may be requiring your help and experiences.

I have been assigned a Task to integrate or connect vCloud via SCOrch. As per my knowledge vCloud is the cloud solution provided by the VMware and SCOrch is the automation solution by Microsoft

So any help on the same please 

Sandy

• Edited by scorch_123 Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:04 AM N/A
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Sandy,

SCOrch uses the so called Integration Packs (IPs) to Integrate with different types of systems from different vendors. Usually the vendor releases the Integration Pack for the own products, but Microsoft does this for other vendors too. For example Integration Pack for HP Operations Manager, HP Service Manager, HP iLO..I think you get the point.

There is also an Integration Pack for SCOrch but it is only for vSphere and it is developed by Microsoft. There is no IP that integrates SCOrch with vCloud, neither from Microsoft, nor from VMWare.

Fortunately the Power of SCOrch is not only in automation and orchestration, but also in interconnecting different systems over different APIs. So what you can do is to levearge the latest version (27.0) of the vCloud REST API:

VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers Documentation

together with tha REST API Integration Pack for SCOrch:

REST integration pack guide

This way you are going to be able to query the vCloud API to get data or pefrom operations of different kind. 

I hope this helps you out. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:18 AM
  • Hello Sandy,

Stoyan described very well how System Center Orchestrator integrates with other systems.

May I ask you which version of vSphere you are using?
    If you are using vSphere 6.7, I believe the latest Orchestrator Integration Pack for vSphere might not work (see THIS thread).

In this case you would be best off by using the REST API, another way is to install PowerCLI on the Orchestrator servers and then make use of PowerShell scripts instead (for example by using the Run .Net Script runbook activity).

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

SCOrch uses the so called Integration Packs (IPs) to Integrate with different types of systems from different vendors. Usually the vendor releases the Integration Pack for the own products, but Microsoft does this for other vendors too. For example Integration Pack for HP Operations Manager, HP Service Manager, HP iLO..I think you get the point.

There is also an Integration Pack for SCOrch but it is only for vSphere and it is developed by Microsoft. There is no IP that integrates SCOrch with vCloud, neither from Microsoft, nor from VMWare.

Fortunately the Power of SCOrch is not only in automation and orchestration, but also in interconnecting different systems over different APIs. So what you can do is to levearge the latest version (27.0) of the vCloud REST API:

VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers Documentation

together with tha REST API Integration Pack for SCOrch:

REST integration pack guide

This way you are going to be able to query the vCloud API to get data or pefrom operations of different kind. 

I hope this helps you out. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:18 AM
  • Hello Sandy,

Stoyan described very well how System Center Orchestrator integrates with other systems.

May I ask you which version of vSphere you are using?
    If you are using vSphere 6.7, I believe the latest Orchestrator Integration Pack for vSphere might not work (see THIS thread).

In this case you would be best off by using the REST API, another way is to install PowerCLI on the Orchestrator servers and then make use of PowerShell scripts instead (for example by using the Run .Net Script runbook activity).

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:44 AM
  • Hello Stoyan,

Thanks for the perfect explanation

Sandy

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:58 AM
  • Hello Leon,

Thanks for the add-on info as well.Now picture much clearer

Sandy

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:59 AM