none
Azure WebApp connection to Azure SQL DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an Azure Web APP and Azure SQL DB in the same resource group and in same region too. In the SQL server firewall rules, I have enabled “Allow access to Azure services” as below.

But still Azure webapp is not able to access this server, I had to specifically whitelist the IP of the Azure web app to make it work. Any idea why “Allow access to Azure services” option doesn’t whitelist all the IPs hosted in Azure?

Thanks,

Nikesh

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Nikesh,

Azure Web App is not a trusted provider for Azure SQL database yet. So you will need to specifically white list the IP.

Currently the setting works with services like Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Warehouse etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:20 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I have to disagree here, we have deployed many web applications without explicitly whitelisting , but just by checking “allow access to azure services”.This is the first time I am facing an issue here, Is this a change introduced very recently? Thanks, Nikesh
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Hi Nikesh,

Yes, there has been a change. I am looking for the actual announcement but if you notice during an Azure SQL Database deployment, there is now a concept of a Connectivity Method. We will look for the specific announcement that details this new behavior. Thank you!

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, October 18, 2019 2:42 AM