OCS R2 G729 Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have OCS R2 integrated with Cisco phone system so basically when your extension is called you can answer either on your MOC or Cisco IP Phone (Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration)

We have 2 offices which used G711 between them and all was working well - until we had to change the WAN link to G729. Now when a call is made from Cisco IP phone across the WAN and is answered on MOC the call fails (MOC answers but IP phone keeps ringing for 10seconds then drops). If the call is answered on Cisco phone the call is successful. If i change the link back to G711 MOC can answer the call successfully.

So my question is does OCS R2 mediation support G729???? I can't seem to find any definitive answer anywhere

Thanks in advance
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:43 PM

Answers

• G.729 is not supported natively by OCS.  If you've configured Cisco to use G.729 then media inbound to the Mediation Server will not be understood (hence failed inbound calls) but outbound calls from OCS will still leave the Mediation Server using G.711, which Call Manager will still recognize altough it's not the current default codec.

Ideally you should configure calls between Call Manager and the OCS Mediation Server to always use G.711 and then setup G.729 for the other Cisco-to-Cisco device communications.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Russell55 Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• G.729 is not supported natively by OCS.  If you've configured Cisco to use G.729 then media inbound to the Mediation Server will not be understood (hence failed inbound calls) but outbound calls from OCS will still leave the Mediation Server using G.711, which Call Manager will still recognize altough it's not the current default codec.

Ideally you should configure calls between Call Manager and the OCS Mediation Server to always use G.711 and then setup G.729 for the other Cisco-to-Cisco device communications.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Russell55 Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for the fast reply - that's exactly the answer i was after

Russell
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Jeff,

A quick one since you were so quick last time :-)

Does OCS mediation support iLBC?

Thanks again
    Russell
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

the OCS mediation server does not support iLBC

Anesh| http://christopheranesh.blogspot.com/
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:23 PM