none
Visio 2016 - Create Org Chart from Active Directory doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to create an organisation chart from the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory. For some reason, it gives me an error  at the end "Your organization data contains 1 entries that are not in the organisation..."

After trying to find an answer I came across different solutions.

- Export it in excel or csv: sorry but I don't want to use a temporary format. So, not a good solution.

- Use the field "reports_to": In visio 2013 I think, the field "manager" in the AD was working fine for the import, so do we need to create a new field "report_to" in the AD?

- When using other options than Microsoft Exchange AD, the wizard has an extra steps by asking you to map the different fields, is it possible to make it appear?

Thanks

--Edit--

Can an Admin change the forum to Vision 2016? I made a mistake and I don't want to double post.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Ange,

Are you using multiple email accounts in Outlook client or using Cached mode for it?

Generally, if we create an organization chart from the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory in Visio, it will read the Exchange data from your Exchange account configured in Outlook. With Cached mode, the OAB (Offline Address Book) file would be used for Exchange Active Directory information.

In your scenario, please create a new Outlook profile in Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. Only configure with your Exchange account. Then set to prompt for a profile when start Outlook.

Open this new profile in Outlook, then create an organisation chart from the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory in Visio 2013 to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AngeDeLaMort Friday, October 28, 2016 6:20 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Ange,

Are you using multiple email accounts in Outlook client or using Cached mode for it?

Generally, if we create an organization chart from the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory in Visio, it will read the Exchange data from your Exchange account configured in Outlook. With Cached mode, the OAB (Offline Address Book) file would be used for Exchange Active Directory information.

In your scenario, please create a new Outlook profile in Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. Only configure with your Exchange account. Then set to prompt for a profile when start Outlook.

Open this new profile in Outlook, then create an organisation chart from the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory in Visio 2013 to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AngeDeLaMort Friday, October 28, 2016 6:20 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Using a cached copy was preventing Visio from being able to create an org chart from my Azure Active Directory. The above guidance from Winnie Liang worked for me the first time, but it omitted the directions for turning off Cached Mode so the second time I tried I received the same error. 

Once you create the new profile (see above) you need to go and turn off Cached Mode. In Outlook 2016, goto File, Account Settings, Select the account and click Change, On the Server Settings page remove the check next to "Use Cached Exchange Mode". Exit and restart Outlook. 

• Edited by ArtHoffman Friday, February 10, 2017 12:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dustin Bracy Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:53 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 12:18 AM