none
SBS 2011 fresh install but workstations show corrupt recycle bin error upon login. RRS feed

• Question

• We had issues with one server so replaced with another but installed same software (due to budget, compatibility etc), we didn't do migration to exclude any corruption etc, it was only about 12 computers so wasn't a problem. Obviously they were disconnected from prior server and reconnected to new one using http://connect tool. However upon login they all show that documents/music/video etc recycle bin is corrupt. it also happens if any file from desktop is deleted. I searched the web but haven't found solid answer how to fix it. Any advice? thanks.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the OS version of the problematic client system? Will such problem happens on all client systems after connecting to SBS?

In general, for corrupt recycle bin error, we can try to Log on client system as admin account, open CMD and type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

>However upon login they all show that documents/music/video etc recycle bin is corrupt. it also happens if any file from desktop is deleted.
    If possible, please provide me the detail error message, and detail folder location it has mentioned in the error message. I am wondering if folder redirection has been enabled on your SBS for client systems, and these folders are redirected ones.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi our computers are Windows 7 Pro sp1. 

Yes it happens on all or at least most computers. 

I'm starting a scan on one of the computers just in case but honestly don't think that will fix the problem. See attached images. These popup up upon login.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Hi I wrote response but it didn't send for some reason.

Anyway they are all Windows 7 Pro. Happens on all or most computers.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Did a scan on one of the computers but it shows no errors. 
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:31 PM
  • BTW there are difficulties when copying files to desktop also. 

PS: I seen such behavior once before in a setup but it happened on 2 computers out of 10. in this office however it seems to be happening on all or most computers, about 12. 
    • Edited by OneAdvancing Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:48 PM
  • BTW there are difficulties when copying files to desktop also. 

PS: I seen such behavior once before in a setup but it happened on 2 computers out of 10. in this office however it seems to be happening on all or most computers, about 12. 
    PS: I noticed if I login as different user that never used that computer, then the problem doesn't appear and redirection works ok. My guess is prior setup of redirected folders didn't remove when I unjoined old domain and now in new domain something is wrong with the redirection or at least the recycle bin part of it, but maybe more as files cant be moved to the folder.
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

Based on the error message, corruption happens on folders which are redirected to server. 

I want to confirm with you if your current SBS has folder redirection enabled? Please check network location \\SERVER01\RedirectdFolders\<username>, make sure current user account has full control permission on the folder. Also, please compare the permission configuration about this folder for working and problematic users, find the difference and try to manually edit it.  

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:42 AM
  • Yes it has it enabled. 

User has full control. 

I don't think there are any working or problematic users, all are same. As mentioned it happens for computers that are used by same users as on prior server. so something about prior folder redirection is probably messed up. Know how to fix?

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:59 AM
  • if I login to same computer but with a user that never logged in before to that computer then there is no recycle bin error. its only for users that used the computer before through redirected files on old server. maybe theres a way to clear that? registry? 
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:21 AM
  • Hi,

As far as i know, below two GPs are responsible for Folder Redirection:
    SBS Group Policy Folder Redirection
    SBS Group Policy Security Templates

If  possible, disable Folder Redirection and re-enable it is worthy to have a try. Please remember to log off user account and using "gpupdate /force" to make sure that Folder Redirection has successfully disabled and data has been copied back to client system.  

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, November 11, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

I don't think I've found a fix for this. only a work around. also strange it doesn't always happen in some offices it does in others it doesn't.
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 3:24 AM