What happens to mobile devices configured with BPOS email during 365 transition day? RRS feed

• Question

• We have many users that have their phones configured for email in our current BPOS system.  Our migration date is Saturday.   What exactly happens to user's phones once their account migration is complete?  Will phones simply start throwing authentication errors until the server name is changed, or will it continue to work configured to the old BPOS servers? 

Is it possible to configured the phones with the new 365 server (m.outlook.com) ahead of time and deal with the athentication errors until their account migration happens?  If so, will newly configured phones start working once the migration is done?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• The mobile devices will continue to function until the minute the mailbox move is finalized.  At that point, the mobile device will throw an authentication error and need to be reconfigured to point to O365 (m.outlook.com).

I have never attempted pre-configuring it as that would mean a longer downtime for the end-user (the time between the pre-configure and the actual transition vs. having the end-user simply reconfigure the profile to point to O365 once they have been transitioned).

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by TMLAdmin Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32 PM

All replies

• The mobile devices will continue to function until the minute the mailbox move is finalized.  At that point, the mobile device will throw an authentication error and need to be reconfigured to point to O365 (m.outlook.com).

I have never attempted pre-configuring it as that would mean a longer downtime for the end-user (the time between the pre-configure and the actual transition vs. having the end-user simply reconfigure the profile to point to O365 once they have been transitioned).

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by TMLAdmin Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Ok, thanks Dan.  Sorry for the somewhat silly question, I just needed verification on what I suspected will happen once the "switch has been flipped". 

I'm not even sure if there are phones out there that will let you preconfigure server settings that aren't valid (I think most wizards won't complete until a successfully connection has been made on the phone) but it was a question that was asked of me.  I believe they were wanting my assistance to configure their phone before the weekend when I'm not around to fix it for them.  :)

Thanks for the Answer!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:30 PM
  • The preconfigure MAY work, but the phone won't be able to connect until the mailbox is moved, and the end-user will have to manually initiate the sync to get everything started, but yeah, totally not recommended if sustained access is their goal.

www.insecurityinc.info

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:50 PM