none
Suggest An Approach to Solving Occasional PC Going Unresponsive RRS feed

• Question

• One PC is dedicated to handling the dial-in service at a Radio Reading Service for the Blind.  Clients dial their telephones and interact with automation to browse newspapers that volunteers read into the system.  Dialogic boards perform the telephony.  About once a month the PC locks up.  Reader sessions are interrupted.  Client sessions are interrupted.  The solution is a reboot.  As a very experienced IT Pro, System Administrator, and software developer, I know to scan the many, many logs Windows maintains for an idea as to why the system become unresponsive.  So far, and this is for years, no evidence has ever appeared in the logs.  I also check for dump files which are not produced.  I figure the Dialogic drivers sometimes lock out interrupts and the PC goes dead.  Can you suggest a better way to solve the mystery of the unresponsive computer?

MARK D ROCKMAN

Friday, August 23, 2019 9:17 PM

All replies

• There are so many ways to track down issues in a system that suggest a way more than another may be difficult from the problem description you sent..

You seems bound to some hardware from a vendor.. I would start to update everything related to that so to be sure that I'm running all the latest software from windows and from the vendors..

That said, start looking for some evidence.. let's suppose it is something related to ram exaustion.. start with rammap and take a screenshot a day for a couple of weeks just to understand if you are using the memory in a bad way..

Performance monitor: let run a standard trace for a couple of weeks too and try to notice if there is something anomalous.. like bottleneck on the disk at certain times, no more ram available at certain moments.. 100%CPU sometimes..

If everything doesn't work and you are still without any clues, just configure the system to take a full memory dump when the problem reproduce using the keyboard CTRL+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK and analyze the dump..  

HTH
    -mario

Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hello Mark,

If the PC really is completely unresponsive (as suggested by your thesis "I figure the Dialogic drivers sometimes lock out interrupts") then Mario's suggestion is the best thing to try - some more instructions on what to do can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/forcing-a-system-crash-from-the-keyboard. This is not guaranteed to work, but it would be worth the effort to try.

Gary

Sunday, August 25, 2019 12:13 PM