OCS R2 Edge & ISA with Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• I need  confirmation, that we can do this using the following setup:

-       OCS Edge-server will run on ‘physical server’ in DMZ.

-     ISA will run in VM (Hyper-V) on the same server   .

• Edited by Amr - Nassar Monday, October 26, 2009 3:29 PM bold
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• Amr - Nassar,
                I think what you are saying is that you want to install the OCS edge server on a piece of physical hardware, and on that same box, run hyper-v with an ISA VM. Are you planning on protecting the Physical host from the internet with the ISA server? If so, from a network security standpoint, this is not an appropriate layer of security and I am afraid will not get you the same security as a true firewall/proxy would. If this is you only firewall to the internet I would adamantly say: "Do not do this, your OCS edge server becomes un unprotected public entity", but if you have another firewall and are just looking to use the Edge server hardware for multiple functions I would say this is fine, just do not expect any benefit for the Edge server itself to be provided by ISA.

Hope this helps. If I have misunderstood anything or you have any further questions let us know.

Don't forget to give credit where credit is due, vote this as helpful if it helped you.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Hi Jared Crandall Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Thanks so much for you answer but I don’t think in security layer so much

I really think in Hyper V technology supportability because I have limitation hardware

But it’s not support for Edge Server it’s in Microsoft support communication

And I found run solution to have 4 Network Card Two Physical for Edge and Two Virtual Switch for ISA

But it’s not Support also

Because when you enable Hyper V  the host OS will be As Virtual and you all OS not connect Direct to hardware , there is Hypervisor will controlling all communication between hardware and all OS (host and guest)

A virtual machine is a super-set of a child partition.  A virtual machine is a child partition combined with virtualization stack components that provide functionality such as access to emulated devices, and features like being able to save state a virtual machine.  As a virtual machine is essentially a specialized partition, I (and many members on the team) tend to use the terms "partition" and "virtual machine" interchangeably.  But, while a virtual machine will always have a partition associated with it - a partition may not always be a virtual machine.

Hope my words find you well

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:29 AM
  • The answer is simple; yes you can :)

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:47 AM