none
Azure SQL Server database accessible via SSMS but not visible in portal.azure.com - why? RRS feed

• Question

• In mid-July 2017, I created an Azure SQL Server database that I can easily access via SQL Server Management Studio 2016 from a variety of physical locations (Home, Work, coffee shop), but Azure cannot find it, either in "All Resources" or via the SQL tab in portal.azure.com.

When I look at the corresponding SQL Server in portal.azure.com, it shows that there is the one database, but when I click on that database, Azure displays the error message: This asset was not found, it may have been deleted

Why is it that SSMS 2016 can see and access every aspect of the Azure SQL Server database yet azure.portal.com seems to be blind to its existence?

If you think development is tough now, think how hard it was using punched cards :-)

Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:54 PM

Answers

• Well, I see where my database is now. It was a PEBKAC issue.

Apparently I created it in an azure subscription I have through an MSDN subscription provided by my employer. I was trying to access it from my personal subscription in the portal and that's why I wasn't able to see it.

Thank you Kalyan Chanumolu-MSFT and Melania Nitu for your help.

DFWDBA

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Azure runs some self-healing processes to fix issues like this but some issues may need a support engineer to take a closer look. Is it possible for you to create a support ticket for this issue?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:16 PM
  • You may be able to connect to SQL server but wouldn't see the database. When you create a SQL server in Azure, you create a SQL server ( Logical Name) and under that you create a DB. If you are unable to access the DB from portal I assume SSMS did let you connect but if you try enumerate using SQL query it should fail. I think, db is deleted by other user. Look at Azure Activity log to find it out. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Hello,

Azure runs some self-healing processes to fix issues like this but some issues may need a support engineer to take a closer look. Is it possible for you to create a support ticket for this issue?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thanks for the suggestion, however, my subscription does not allow me to submit a support ticket, so that is not a viable solution to this issue.

I will limp along as best I can and hope that, as you mention, Azure "self heals" over time.

If you think development is tough now, think how hard it was using punched cards :-)

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:54 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same behavior. Did this problem ever resolve itself for you? If so, how long did it take? If not, what did you end up doing?
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:59 PM
  • No, I never did resolve this issue.

I finally gave up and retired from working completely.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:21 PM
  • DFWDBAWisdomGuidedByExperience

This is definitely not the experience we would want you to have.

I see that this thread is quite old. Just to reconfirm my understanding, you have created a Azure SQL database and an Azure SQL Server, you are able to connect to the server and database from SSMS but unable to view the database from the Azure portal.

Could you confirm if you are able to see the database from the below screen.

Please post a screenshot of the error. We will help you resolve the issue.

Monday, November 18, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Below are screen shots of what I'm seeing in SSMS and the portal.

The 1st server in the list in object explorer of SSMS has the original sql server and the database which I cannot find in the portal now. The 2nd server in the list was created a few days later when I logged into the portal and couldn't find the original server I had created. I assumed it had something to do with the auto pause feature and maybe I'd need to go somewhere else to find it and resume it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I decide to recreate everything and while doing so I got an error saying that the server name already exists and tried connecting to it with ssms. Sure enough it was there. I searched for a way to find it in the portal for a while longer and ultimately gave up and just created a new one with a different server name.

• Edited by DFWDBA Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:47 PM
    Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:44 PM
  •  

I need to get this to support so that an engineer can work with you and check this issue for you.

If you have an Azure support plan, please file a ticket with support.

If you don't have an Azure support plan, please send your Azure subscription GUID to AzCommunity at Microsoft.com.

I will send back instructions to have a full-fledged incident ticket created to address this issue. 

Please reference this forum thread along with my name.

Thank you for your persistence. 

Monday, November 25, 2019 2:00 PM
  • I created a support request.

Support request number: 119112624000486

Thanks for your help.

DFWDBA

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Well, I see where my database is now. It was a PEBKAC issue.

Apparently I created it in an azure subscription I have through an MSDN subscription provided by my employer. I was trying to access it from my personal subscription in the portal and that's why I wasn't able to see it.

Thank you Kalyan Chanumolu-MSFT and Melania Nitu for your help.

DFWDBA

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:40 PM