The specified edition upgrade is not supported RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to upgrade SQL 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise to the MSDN SQL 2012 RC0 evaluation?

The documentation at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393(v=sql.110).aspx states it is possible to upgrade to the Enterprise edition but I assume that needs a PID. Where do I get an RC0 Enterprise PID from or is the documention wrong/not intended for the public?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:16 PM

All replies

• Yes you will need a PID for a pre-release, non-eval use of SQL Server 2012. Please talk to your regular MS contact (e.g. your partner account manager or TS) or ping the local MS office. They will be able to give you the appropriate assistance.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Hi Joe,

may I ask, why that is so complicated? Wouldn't it be much easier to provide a PID on the MSDN Website? There I see "No product key required" when I'm downloading the RC... well obviously there IS when you want to test an upgrade from 2008R2 what shouldn't be so unusual. So why point to an account manager?!

I tried to get assistance via MSDN Concierge yesterday but she was (though very friendly) unfortunately not able to solve the problem. Now I tried my local vendor who sold my MSDN Subscription and hope I get a response so that I can try the upgrade this week as I'm supposed to do.

Not really a great user experience!

No offence and best regards

Ben

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Sorry the experience isn't better though I actually don't know how the PIDs are managed. I know the product itself has supported upgrades since CTP2 (or thereabouts) so I'm guessing it has to do with the folks outside of the setup/upgrade team.

I encourage you to submit a suggestion via connect to ensure this is tracked in the product group so we can do a better job next time.

Thanks.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:22 AM