none
How to deploy Azure SQL DB with SQL Tables using ARM? RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

So you need to create Azure SQL database using ARM template ? sorry I am not quite getting your question.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi Dileepa,

With an ARM template, you can create the database but without any tables. See the following ARM template example (link) where an Azure SQL Database (Singleton) is created along with a website. 

The specific parameters would look like:

"resources": [
    {
    "name": "[variables('databaseName')]",
    "type": "databases",
    "location": "[parameters('location')]",
    "tags": {
    "displayName": "Database"
    },
    "apiVersion": "2015-01-01",
    "dependsOn": [
    "[variables('sqlserverName')]"
    ],
    "properties": {
    "edition": "Basic",
    "collation": "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS",
    "maxSizeBytes": "1073741824",
    "requestedServiceObjectiveName": "Basic"
    }
    },

Do you have a copy of a database you would like to import or are just wanting to create the table schema without data? The following ARM Template example will import existing data from a blob account via ADF.

Copy data from Azure Blob Storage to Azure SQL Database (link).

Monday, July 22, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Thanks for this Mike, but look at the tutorial I mentioned, in that tutorial it shows you how to do that, but that didnt really work - It is using a .bacpac file to upload and execute to create the schema. Please refer to this - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kaevans/2016/03/28/deploy-bacpac-to-azure-sql-database-using-arm/

Dileepa S. Rajapaksa
    ---------------------------------
    Cloud Soulution Architect
    ----------------
    Twitter : @dsrajapaksa
    Blog : http://windowsgeek.lk/

Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:43 AM
  • The solution I referenced is essentially the same. Can you detail what didn't work, like can you produce an error message or exception which would allow for the issue to be resolved? Thanks!
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:25 PM