Tasty Printer Monitoring MP - Overrides doesnt work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am using Tasty Printer Monitoring MP in my SCOM 2016. Not sure if its some kind of bug or i am doing it wrong, unfortunately the override i created for disabling No Paper Errors (using NoPaperErrorDetectEnabled) doesnt work. See below screenshot to see how i have configured it currently.

Initially i created an override for parameter NoPaperErrorDetectionEnabled  setting the value as 0 (the default value is 1).

When i found its not working and noticed the monitor is in enabled state by default and i am unable to disable it as its in grayed state (Sealed MP?), i assume that's what is invalidating the solution i tried earlier. So, i deleted all my previous overrides and from scratch, i created an override to disable the monitor for all the printers (the first override on the screenshot). And then created an override for that particular Group for which i want 'No Paper' Alerts disabled. I did this because i read somewhere the the order at which we create Overrides its prioritized - thats what i am trying here. But this doesnt work too :(

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks all!.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you're unable to disable the monitor in the MP, it must be a sealed MP with a .MP Extension. Also to cross-check, go to Administration>Installed Management Packs>select the required MP. A sealed MP will have a lock in its icon.

You can unseal the MP by following this link : https://blog.ctglobalservices.com/service-manager-scsm/msk/convert-a-management-pack-to-xml-unseal-a-management-pack/

Once, the unsealed MP is imported in SCOM, you should be able to make the changes.

Yes, overrides creation should be prioritized. Overrides that apply to a class are applied first, then overrides that apply to a group, and finally overrides that apply to a specific object. The Enforced attribute assures that the override will take precedence when two overrides of the same type and context conflict. You can find detailed information on-  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-mp-overview-override-targets?view=sc-om-2019

Thanks,

Amit

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, May 15, 2020 4:11 AM
  • You should not unseal a MP to disable a monitor it contains, that's a terrible advice.

You should instead override it and if it doesn't work, try to understand why.

In this specific case, could you define exactly what is "not working"? What behavior doesn't fix with what you expected?

Friday, May 15, 2020 10:18 AM
  • @Amit
    Yes its a Sealed MP.

I removed all other overrides, so lets forget prioritizing. Then, I created just one override for disabling this particular alert for a specific group (of objects). Which is seen in the 2nd screenshot i shared earlier.

@CyrAz
    I am trying to disable the NoPaper errors generated by the monitor. The override parameter must be doing it - but its not working for some reason. Known issue may be?. How do you experts usually troubleshoot this?. Any analyzer for understanding the flow and source of alerts?.

Thanks all!.

Monday, May 18, 2020 8:03 AM
  • @dbiceberg

Generally Microsoft recommends you create a custom unsealed management pack for every sealed MP & save those customization's in the unsealed MP as you'll be unable to make any changes in the sealed MP.

Can you verify you're trying to save the overrides in the unsealed MP? Any error messages you're getting,etc?

Thanks,

Amit

AS

Monday, May 18, 2020 9:57 AM
  • @Amit
    Yes its a Sealed MP.

I removed all other overrides, so lets forget prioritizing. Then, I created just one override for disabling this particular alert for a specific group (of objects). Which is seen in the 2nd screenshot i shared earlier.

@CyrAz
    I am trying to disable the NoPaper errors generated by the monitor. The override parameter must be doing it - but its not working for some reason. Known issue may be?. How do you experts usually troubleshoot this?. Any analyzer for understanding the flow and source of alerts?.

Thanks all!.

What objects did you add in the group you used for the overrides?

Your first post is a bit misleading because you say you created the NoPaper override with a value of 0 (which is correct) but the screenshot shows a value of 1 (which is not correct). Which one did you actually apply?

In order to troubleshoot this monitor, you need to have a look at how it works. Basically, it's a vbs script that queries WMI and returns all the printers state. You can see the script here : https://systemcenter.wiki/?GetElement=Tasty.Printer.Monitoring.PrinterStateCheck.PA&Type=ProbeActionModuleType&ManagementPack=Tasty.Printer.Monitoring&Version=2017.4.28.1200 

As you can see, the script takes numerous arguments. These arguments are the values used to determine if a specific check is disabled, or if its threshold is modified.

So when you set the NoPaper override, the value of that override you set is passed as the 9th argument to the script.

Then the script sets a variable with this value : Err5Enabled = oArgs(8)

Then it only checks for "No Paper" errors if Err5enabled = 1 : 

Case "No Paper"
    						If Err5Enabled = 1 and (cint(abs(DateDiff("h",now,ErrorTime))) >= cint(Err5Threshold)) Then
    							Call WritePropertyBag("WARNING", oPrinter.name, PrinterError)
    						Else
    							PrinterError = "ErrorNoAlert"
    							Call WritePropertyBag("OK", oPrinter.name, PrinterError)
    						End If

So I'll ask again : what is the exact behavior that makes you think the override is not working?

If it's because the printer is still in warning state after having set the override, it could be that there is another error on the printer, for example.

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, May 18, 2020 11:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:35 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2020 11:01 AM
  • Hi Amit,

can you please üpost a short update here? Did you manage to solve this one? Was the answer of CyrAz helpful?

Appreciate youf feedback!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, June 22, 2020 12:20 PM