none
Office 365 Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• i am in an environment that has multiple subscriptions for different business unit in one Tenant

for example : Marketing procures 25 E3 Licenses, Subscription ID X

Finance:64 Subscription ID Y

Total licenses for E3 89

Is there a way to do a group licensing based on the subscription ID in order to restrict certain users to only consume licenses from a specific Subscription?

• Edited by KabeloP Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:27 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:25 AM

All replies

• To my knowledge, there is no way to restrict users from consuming licenses based on a subscription.  I wish Microsoft would add a feature to the AzureAD groups where you can control the maximum number of users allowed in a group to support group-based licensing.

Having said that you could develop a powershell script that you could run that would query for the members of an AzureAD group using the Graph API and if the count is higher than x (some number you define as the max), it sends an email to the appropriate person to either buy more licenses or have people removed from the group.

Here is an example Graph query to get the members of a group called "x":

https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/groups/x/members

Make the REST call using Invoke-RestMethod and save that JSON output to a variable, then call that variable with a .count method and you should get the number of members of a group.

Thanks,

tumtum

Saturday, August 3, 2019 12:14 AM
  • HI TumTum

That would be great feature thats exactly what i need.

Friday, August 16, 2019 9:09 AM