none
Prepending word "External" to Subject line by transport rules RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are prepending\stamping  a word "External" to Subject line by transport rules for all emails received from outside of organisation. The problem is that whenever the same mail is replied and received, It is again getting stamped. Can some one help me if we can avoid this by checking if the subject line has already the word external it should be ignored and should not get again stamped.

[EXTERNAL] RE: [EXTERNAL]  RE: [EXTERNAL] RE: [EXTERNAL] 

Thanks in advance

Monday, June 22, 2015 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Alfogeek,

Check if adding an exception as below helps.

Name:
    SubChanger

*Apply this rule if...

*Do the following..
    Prepend the subject of the message with...
    [External]

Except if...
    The Subject includes...[External]

---------------------------

The Subject matches... [External]

Not both, try one at a time.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Monday, June 22, 2015 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alfogeek Monday, June 22, 2015 11:57 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Alfogeek,

Check if adding an exception as below helps.

Name:
    SubChanger

*Apply this rule if...

*Do the following..
    [External]

Except if...
    The Subject includes...[External]

---------------------------

Not both, try one at a time.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Monday, June 22, 2015 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alfogeek Monday, June 22, 2015 11:57 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Hi Satyajit,

Can i also specify another exception to bypass some domains instead of all email getting stamped ?

I want all emails from abc.com and xyz.com to be ignore from stamping [External]. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Hi Alfogeek,

You can easily test it using a test rule with some limited condition effecting testusers only. If it works then it will also work for a larger set of users.

This is how I test it.

*Apply this rule if...
    The reciepent is... 'TestUser'

*Do the following..
    [External]

Except if...

or

The sender's domain is... 'abc.com' or 'xyz.com'

So answer to your question is yes, we can do that.

NOTE:- Be carefull adding lots of rules\conditions, it might impact on your performance of the Exchange servers. Hence keep an eye on the utilization metrics pre\post the change.

Regards,

Satyajit

Monday, June 29, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Has this exception work for anyone? We are having the same issue where we would like to avoid having [EXTERNAL] RE: [EXTERNAL]  RE: [EXTERNAL] RE: [EXTERNAL] in the subject line, however the suggested exceptions are not working for us. 

Regards,

Tatyana

• Proposed as answer by Satyajit321 Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Satyajit321 Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:59 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Hi Tatyana,

It works, please re-validate the exception, it shouldn't have AND based exceptions, which would never match.

Paste the rule sample for review in a new post. And paste the link here.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 1:16 AM
  • Thank you Satyajit,

We don't have any AND in the exception, we have few OR and it was "The subject includes any of these words" = '[EXTERNAL]', but it completely ignores it. Then I saw this post and tried "The subject matches these text pattern" and the result was the same, it was ignored. I reverted back to what we had "The subject includes any of these words" and made it '[EXTERNAL]Re' and that seems to work. For some reason it just doesn't like [EXTERNAL] as an exception.

Regards,

Tatyana

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:20 PM
  • Hi Satyajit,

Here is the link to the new post that I created:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fba1643d-6d26-4485-9b72-a2119122ea3c/external-prepend-rule-should-not-stamp-external-on-reply?forum=exchangesvradmin

Thank you in advance.

Tatyana

Friday, February 15, 2019 4:29 AM
  • Have a look at TagExternal utilty.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:17 PM
  • For the match rule in "Except if"... you need to escape the brackets:

\[EXTERNAL\]

(had a screenshot but since this is my first post it would not allow me to add an image *^&$%$#)

• Proposed as answer by William Bow Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:28 AM
    Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:17 AM