none
Microsoft's Groove Relay Servers - do we know when they will be decommissioned? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a timeline on when Microsoft's Groove Relay servers will be decommissioned? I'm still using Groove 2007 on several machines and wanted to know if there was a schedule in place so that I can make sure I've migrated everything elsewhere. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:32 PM

All replies

• We've actually been discussing this over the last few months. We don't have a schedule to decommission hosted services, but they are being maintained in a simple maintenance mode, without resources to debug, reconfigure, or patch the servers if anything goes wrong.

Remember, though, that the Relay servers do not retain data. If they were to disappear, you would lose unreceived messages. If your installations of Groove 2007 need the Relay servers to sync (for example, if they are online at different times, or separated by a firewall that does not allow a peer-to-peer connection over TCP 2942, that sync would also fail, so data changes would be in only one location. The primary risk to your data is not noticing that your installations of Groove 2007 are no longer communicating and have gone out of sync. So you should keep an eye on connectivity, but you'll still have your data when it fails.

A larger risk is Manager, as you will not be able to move your account when password reset is gone, so restoring from backup will fail for SharePoint Workspace 2010. I think that you can still do that with Groove 2007, as long as you remember your password -- you might want to test that now on a computer without network access.

Please note that support for Office Groove 2007 and Office Groove Server 2007 ended on October 10, 2017. Microsoft will no longer provide any support for Office Groove 2007 and Office Groove Server 2007, including security patches, non-security hotfixes, and incident/assisted support. 

(I'll still help here if I can and have time, but I no longer have Groove or SharePoint Workspace installed anywhere.)

Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:54 PM