none
Online Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, the company i'm working for is looking to add an online storage system. I would like to learn more about the difference between onedrive and sharepoint. What is best for an accounting department that needs an online storage service with multiple users using the system at the same time.
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Jorge, 

Let me put it this way.

SharePoint and OneDrive both works very closely.

OneDrive public service - Free for everyone with 5 GB storage (comes by default with your Hotmail or outlook account) but this public service is just individuals oriented. You cant have groups of people in a single space like you have In commercial version (Office 365).

SharePoint and OneDrive for Business - This is the commercial way of using collaboration tools (a.k.a Office 365)

To give you a brief idea of OneDrive and SharePoint: 

SharePoint is a comprehensive tool in Office 365 umbrella. There are various capabilities which you can utilize for collaborating with others and Storage is one piece of it (SharePoint Libraries).

OneDrive (of Office 365) is a personal space provided by default to any subscription you choose. this is basically a personal storage space for individuals to store their own personal files.

however, OneDrive sync client can work with both OneDrive (personal space) and SharePoint Libraries (advanced document storage and management) as a universal tool to sync files across multiple devices from cloud. 

For your requirement: It sounds more like corporate as multiple users are involved so I think Office 365 seems to be the right choice in my view. 

Have a look here to understand the variation of services and cost: 

Office 365 Plans comparison - https://products.office.com/en/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans 

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.  If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, March 15, 2019 3:43 PM